1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Recommendation? Chefs or gyuto

Discussion in 'Kitchen Cutlery & Tools' started by EmmetWass, Mar 29, 2018.

1. EmmetWass

EmmetWass

Mar 29, 2018
    So I have a Kramer Damascus (zwilling henckels) right now and I’m looking for something that looks and feels great with a super steel preferably stainless (zdp-189 etc.) 210 mm long and preferably Japanese style although western is ok too. I’m open to custom and my price range is between 400 and 800 usd if I’m doing custom I’d prefer a very experienced knife maker any help would be greatly appreciated!!!

2. Knives&More

Knives&More Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 14, 2018
    I would recommend going to the CKTG website as they offer a bunch of 210 mm gyutos. I don't think you have to spend 400-800 for a quality gyuto. I will list a few that are close to your specs as possible. All are on the Chef Knives To Go website. They are a great company to deal with.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2018
  3. Knives&More

Jan 14, 2018
    Takamura Migaki R2 Gyuto 210mm
    Shibata Kashima R-2 Gyuto 220mm Custom
    Gihei Zuika ZDP-189 Gyuto 210mm
    Sukenari ZDP189 Damascus Gyuto 210mm
    Sukenari ZDP 189 Gyuto 210mm Hairline
    Sukenari R-2 Gyuto 210mm

4. tim37a

tim37a

May 18, 2010
    None of the above listed knives are custom knives. Go to Knife Makers Discussion Forum then click on Knife Makers for Sale Area then click on For Sale: Kitchen Knives. You will find all kinds of already made blades in a variety of steels from custom makers. Keep an eye on this section for a few weeks and you will see knives from dozens of makers. Contact any of them who's knives look interesting and tell them exactly what you want ( steel, length, style, handle material, edge grind, etc.) I think you will be very happy with the results.

FOG2 likes this.
  5. Knives&More

Jan 14, 2018
    Reread the original post. He said he is open to custom. He never said it had to be a custom.

6. tim37a

tim37a

May 18, 2010
    He is open to custom but almost all you gave him were mass produced Japanese knives. I gave him the options for custom. Do you work for a Japanese knife dealer, by any chance?

7. Knives&More

Jan 14, 2018
    No connection to any knife company nor dealer. I don't even know the owners of CKTG, but they have great customer service and a lot of information available on Youtube.

I typically recommend Chef Knives To Go but I am sure there are other great websites that are similar. They have a great selection of knives and are extremely knowledgeable about JNATS, gyutos, etc.

8. Seesteel

Seesteel Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 7, 2018
    I got:

...and I am more than satisfied with this Kato Nashiji Suminagashi Gyuto.

9. Justin Carnecchia

Justin Carnecchia KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Jun 4, 2011
    Tadastuna and suisin both look very nice.
    That said for your price range your into full on custom. I don't work with stainless, mainly w2 because it holds a very fine edge very well, and damascus because it looks great and also preforms well. That said, if your firm about stainless I don't think you should have any problem finding a maker who works stainless.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2018
  10. Il Coltellaio

Il Coltellaio

Jan 8, 2016
    I'm finishing a chef knife in Vanax Superclean but is just 200mm, sorry

It will look like this:

[​IMG]