Chemically cleaning stainless after heat treat.

Does anyone know of a good method for chemical descaling of stainless? My particular issue is removing the decarb/heat tint on fine jimping. Wire wheel works but it tends to dull the jimping making it less agressive. I haven’t tried a needle file yet, but I suspect I would have the same problem. I was thinking of using citric acid next time but wanted to see if anybody had any other experience. Limited Internet search indicates that nitric and hydrofluoric acids are used in the industrial setting, but I have no interest in using something so nasty. The steels I am using currently are AEB-L and magnacut if it matters. I am of course wrapping in foil with a small piece of paper to remove oxygen already.

There's commercial pickling sprays you can use. Look into stainless welding supplies.

I've always passivated stainless with citric acid.

Not sure if there’s a cleaner out there that wouldn’t etch the steel in the process but I have done some “cleaning” with an acid etch. Usually I run a 50/50 mix of ferric chloride and vinegar but if you weaken the mixture further it will etch slower giving more control but it will also take longer. Also too much time in the etch and it will dull your jimping.

Welcome Lineofdivision. Fill out your profile so we know where you live and something about you. It helps with better answers.

One simplke method that is safe is soda blasting.

Not knowing your age or experiences, I am somewhat cautious to post this, but diluted muriatic acid (10:1 H2O:HCl) is a good etchant/cleaner for stainless. If you don't fully understand the mixing and handling of strong acids, please don't consider this.

Dilute FC will also work, just slower. Try 5:1 water to FC sock solution. It is far safer than HCl.

Welcome Lineofdivision. Fill out your profile so we know where you live and something about you. It helps with better answers.

One simplke method that is safe is soda blasting.

Not knowing your age or experiences, I am somewhat cautious to post this, but diluted muriatic acid (10:1 H2O:HCl) is a good etchant/cleaner for stainless. If you don't fully understand the mixing and handling of strong acids, please don't consider this.

Dilute FC will also work, just slower. Try 5:1 water to FC sock solution. It is far safer than HCl.
I have a degree in biochemistry but probably remember just enough to get myself in trouble.😀 Thanks everybody for the suggestions.

Last edited:
I used on every day for over 40 years. It won't remove oxides or scale. Ultrasonic cleaners "shake" the object to remove dirt and stuff on the surface.

I don't think electropolishing would work for this task. Electropolishing levels high spots to make a smoother surface. It would take down the peaks of the filework before it took anything out of the valleys. Also, it requires strong acids. Not safe for hobby use.

I think soda blasting would be the simplest, safest, and most economical cleaning method.

Back