Chinese knives...am I xenophobic?

Status
Not open for further replies.
there are quality chinese brands who also pay american knifemakers for their designs so theres nothing wrong trying them out

there are quality chinese brands who also pay american knifemakers for their designs so theres nothing wrong trying them out

Reate and Kizer have really done a lot of collaborations with makers from different countries. It's a pretty cool thing, if you ask me.

I hope we're approaching a day where "clones, counterfeits, and low-quality" aren't the first things that pop into someone's head when they see or hear "Chinese knife". I still immediately think of cheap outsourced budget knives, but I also then immediately think "Oh yeah, Kizer! Reaté!"

So, we'll see. I have been a proponent of ignoring nationality (or at least not seeing it as a negative) in knives for a while and it's good to see it gaining some traction. The frustrating irony is that there are a handful of Reaté and Kizer counterfeits out there... They're immediately identifiable as such if you're familiar with the models they are based on, but, they're still out there.

I try to buy and support American made products but do I do not exclude quality imports either. The fact of the matter is not only does China make superb high quality products if someone it willing to pay the price for them, they also will produce new and inovative designs that American companies rufuse to tool up for and make, even when the customer is willing to pay for it because they are so stuck in their old rut and think that they will forever be successful cranking out outdated stuff in a changing world.

Thats what happened to the huge initially highly profitable Torey straight razor company. Even though I personally belive straight razors are for real men and these plastic triple hear safety razors are wimpy idiot proof baby toys and a replaceable blade safety razor is an intermediate step to the path of becomming a real man with some class who uses a straight razor, the fact is people wanted change, and what the people want and buy is going to dictate whether you stay in business or not. While every one else made safety razors and succeeded, Torey eventually went out of business because they were to stubbern and slow to market good safety razors which became the prefered shaver of the country.

Electric Razors are cheating but I use one also.

Most of my clothes including socks and underware are American Apparel (but I don't know if AA is going south these days so that may change.) Even my shoes are. I buy imported products but I want to remember to buy a least of fair portion of good American made products to keep us independent.

Now who's fault is it that when new cutting edge designs can not be marketed unless they are made in another country where they are willing to do it , not Chinas nor the inventer of the design who needs to have his merchandise made right.

Last edited:
My New Year's Resolution this year was only to buy USA made knives. So far I have purchased about 5. It has been extremlly hard to buy overseas produced knives, especially since seeing all the things Kershaw bought to Shot Show. Every time a new knife comes in the mail my wife runs to check the blade for the country. I think after the year I will go back to carrying my Salt 1 or my endura.

Some Chinese-made knives are well made. But, if I'm going to spend above $300 on a knife, it's going to be hand-made here in the United States. There are some segments of the economy where value is subjective.

When the majority of counterfeits don't come from China and Southest Asia, maybe then you'll get your wish.

you are gonna love the lightning, I paired it with my Microtech Scarab, and its great, over 300 open and close with no misfire, its great knife

So I've been hearing :)

I guess they're ok for light users and safe queens. If you work with them you probably want a warranty.

How the heck did we make it so far on this thread without pics? The Kizer sandwiched between these two ZT's is every bit on the same level of quality, including material, fit, finish, and function. All three titanium slabbed frame locks, with S35VN blades, ball bearing pivots, smooth as butter actions, with perfect lockup. And retail pricing also in the same ballpark.

Not sure there is more that needs to be said from my Chinese made iPad. [emoji41]

6xvqc6.jpg

Depends. I think it depends on the company who's overseeing the manufacturing. Spyderco's Tenacious line along with Byrd all seem to be of great quality while many no name brands may not have very good quality control. Although, I do own many of those types of knives (from my budk days). I'd say most definitely function for their price point. Some can be complete garbage though

There are a couple high quality makers in China. However, I would feel embarrassed saying my $400 knife was made in China. Just like Spydercos being made in Taiwan.

Japanese knives...am I xenophobic?

Italian knives...am I xenophobic?

German knives...am I xenophobic?

Russian knives...am I xenophobic?

No matter how good a knife is we always seem to look down upon it because of our prejudices or past experiences. In the case of China they are valid because of low quality american designed knives and straight up counterfeits, but that needs to change. There are still plenty of low quality american designed knives and counterfeits coming out of China, but the high end of the market (Reate, Kizer, Rike, Staedmon, etc.) does not deserve those prejudices and we must learn to see them as their own apart from the Chinese made knives that actually deserve to be looked down upon.

There is no cookie cutter shape labeled "Chinese knife manufacturer", they're all different. I don't view them all like Ganzo or Wild Boar, nor do I view them all like Reate. It's just the same as recognizing the difference between Leatherman or Kershaw and Chris Reeve or Hinderer.

Every man most decide for himself what he's willing to support. There are just some things and systems I choose not to support.

Not xenophobic
You just have an opinion that differs from the usual politically correct BS
The Peoples Republic of China is anything but politically correct.

Last edited:
It amazes me how little people know about the politics of economics but throw a post like this up.....

The Chinese have done zero. They have been used as a cheap labor force for "multinational corporations"

Trade rules where changed (abolished) so AMERICAN companies could go and use cheap labor, it starts and ends there. It's called PROFIT margin.
The only goal here was to build it cheaper and sell it at the same price. The benefits are being felt by nobody but the rich who got a lot richer in both countries...

"Quality" in this context is irrelevant.

Simple.

Preach it brother .

Trade rules where changed (abolished) so AMERICAN companies could go and use cheap labor, it starts and ends there. It's called PROFIT margin.
The only goal here was to build it cheaper and sell it at the same price.

Maybe that's what most American companies are doing, including many American knife companies. I am certainly against that, and have only bought one Chinese made knife from an American company.

What I will defend, however, is the high end knife companies based in China that are paying their employees well and making original designs or collaborating with american knife makers to build something at the the same or higher quality to sell at a lower price.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back