Chinese tariffs, does this mean Reate, WE, Kizer prices are all going to skyrocket?

I work in one of the very few machine shops that does work for China because they can't figure out how to make what we make as well or efficiently as we can. ( We've been making this product for years before a Chinese company bought the company).
We have also made dies from D2 for a major automotive manufacturer that last 3 times as long as the dies they bought from China. So, yeah....screw China.
Had to show the China suits at 2 different companies how i did my job. They wanted to know every detail down to the sandpaper grit for deburring. These companies no longer exist. My last job had a nitch that the owner had a factory in China. We did the prototypes and once the part was proven out, it was off to the Chinese factory for production. The owner said that each Chinese employee literaly cost a bowl of rice for a days work (not a bad deal for the millionaire business owner). The workers in China could not see their families for 6 months to a year at a time because of the distances they have to travel to get to work for this bowl of rice. My boss had to hold off on bonuses until after the Chinese new year so the workers would come back to work in order to receive them. I no longer work there because his main focus became China and his homeland buisiness was being overlooked..... I support USA products as much as I can. Alway's with tools. China making their people along with our country their B$$tch is coming to an end. Screw China!

Sincerely,
Deplorable blue collar guy

Had to show the China suits at 2 different companies how i did my job. They wanted to know every detail down to the sandpaper grit for deburring. These companies no longer exist. My last job had a nitch that the owner had a factory in China. We did the prototypes and once the part was proven out, it was off to the Chinese factory for production. The owner said that each Chinese employee literaly cost a bowl of rice for a days work (not a bad deal for the millionaire business owner). The workers in China could not see their families for 6 months to a year at a time because of the distances they have to travel to get to work for this bowl of rice. My boss had to hold off on bonuses until after the Chinese new year so the workers would come back to work in order to receive them. I no longer work there because his main focus became China and his homeland buisiness was being overlooked..... I support USA products as much as I can. Alway's with tools. China making their people along with our country their B$$tch is coming to an end. Screw China!

Sincerely,
Deplorable blue collar guy
Without getting too political, all I can say is that here, we have fought for decades to get decent wages, treatment and safety considerations. I sencerely pity the conditions of employment of the Chinese people, and it is slowly changing because of the fear of outright revolt by the workers, but it will be a hard fight that not many are willing to take on over there right now. If the fight for the Chinese worker needs to start here, than so be it. The playing feild must be levelled for all of our sakes!
Until then... screw "China"!

The tariffs are temporary. We don't know how long they will last, but they are a part of leveraging negotiations to get a fair trade deal. And for the most part, they don't affect knives yet? The next phase might because it will supposedly cover everything not covered in the first tariff at 25% value at the docks. I don't see that as a huge problem if I wanted to purchase an item from the tariffed country. I can delay my purchase or I can buy on the secondary market at a lower price. Or I can go ahead and buy and eat the percent of tariff. We're already doing that on many products, even from Europe. It just isn't in the news and has made little impact on our good economy so we don't notice.

For what it is worth, China will miss selling us 500 billion dollars worth of manufactured products much more than we will miss selling them 100 billion dollars worth of food. If you want the knife, buy it. If it is too expensive, buy one made here. There are some great makers in North America.

Manufacturing is being done by me as well...The company I am currently machinist with now might not have to fold to outsourcing to China. No more hopping jobs to escape lingering layoffs every 2 years...which means I can pay for things.... GREAT!
The talking is over. This is what many working class Americans have demanded for decades. We are going get to experience a US/China economic trade war in real time. No need to debate. We will see firsthand, who the winners and losers are.

The tariffs are temporary. We don't know how long they will last, but they are a part of leveraging negotiations to get a fair trade deal.

For what it is worth, China will miss selling us 500 billion dollars worth of manufactured products much more than we will miss selling them 100 billion dollars worth of food. If you want the knife, buy it. If it is too expensive, buy one made here. There are some great makers in North America.
I remember Nike shifting to Chinese or was it Korean manufacture to save money... but who's money? The price didn't drop. They simply made more money.

The tariff thing is interesting certainly. The farmers and food producers will be hit the hardest. I suspect computers will get more expensive. Ultimately, the objective is No tariffs. We'll see now temporary things are. If things don't get fixed, companies will shift to other countries to manufacture their products. It takes time. Stability is important.

On knives, if you have something that you are planning to buy made in China, get it as soon as possible. From my point of view, I really don't care if China produces another knife that is imported into the US. It will have very little impact on my life or most of my choices. Maybe Case and Buck will get a boast in sales.

I won't pay their regular price no matter the quality, just on principle (Kizer excluded)...but that's just me so calm down

I was talking to a woman from China about a month ago and in our conversation I asked her what she would buy to take home with her. I was pretty amazed when she told me it would be things like iPads , tablets and such. She went on to tell me items like that cost more in China where they're made than they do here.As far as knives are concerned I'm sure I could get through life just fine without ever purchasing any China made knives in the future.:)

Last edited:
Back