Chinook question for Sal

I may have been hallucinating, but I could have sworn I saw a thread in the past few days where you said the Keating Chinook will have a standard lockback? Is the Compression lock not going to be used for this model? I thought that with the intended use of the blade for back cuts, Spyderco would use their strongest lock design for support. If I'm mistaken, It'd be a relief.

Thanks,
Ken

Ken - Yes you read right. the "Chinook" design by James Keating will be using a Spyderco Engineered lockback. Test pieces proved to both reliable and very strong (ultimate strenth exceeding 800 inch/lbs. Strongest Lock back we've ever tested.)

A very small lock release opening eliminates "white knuckle accidental release" (although I will probably send the test piece to Cliff
Stamp and Michael Janich (experts in finding flaws in that area) for some additional opinions. We believe that we've got it right.

We believe that the model will also be very popular with the hunters. Even more so than the MBC practitioners.

The Compression lock is still very new and we're looking for glitches. Don't want to convert too many models until we're sure we've got the bugs worked out. We used the Compression lock on the "Gunting" because the design does not permit room for a lock back.

The numbers that we got in testing were above the Spyderco MBC rating (this is an in house standard only [200 inch/lbs per inch of blade length]) which will provide sufficient ultimate lock strength (in our opinion only) for confident "passing".

Don't have a delivery date as yet but it will be late this year. We're all very pleased with the finished piece.

sal

As always, feel free to send knives to me for testing also
biggrin.gif

Thanks for the details and clarification Sal. I trust Spyderco's judgement on what lock systems match up to what model, just wanted to make sure I read right.

I know you've probably answered this question already somewhere, but is this model, like others in the MBC series going to be available to everyone in limited quantities, or is there some special protocol to aquire them?

Thanks,
Ken

Ken - Thanx, I appreciate the confidence.

Regarding the "sales & distribution method", we're still working out the details. Naturally we're open to any suggestions.

It's a difficult road; be Politically correct and yet still be able to provide the "good guys" with the necessary tools to effectively practice MBC, and if necessary have these tools be effective should the need arise to bring someone out of harm's way.

Regarding the Chinook particularly, this model will (we hope) find good response from the "Hunting" group. The design is excellent for hunting/skinning. So certainly it will be available generally.

Promotion of the Chinook in the general market will be as a "super tough, reliable partner". If I had to describe it, I would say that it is a 21st Century "Buck 110" on steroids. (Sorry CJ, and thanx, I too enjoyed a Buck 110 in the mid 60's)

The trainer (scheduled to follow the "live" model by about 6 months) will probably be more difficult to acquire, but will be available to those seeking.

As a Responsible Knife Company, we must be intelligent about distribution. Probably something our gun manufacturers should have paid more attention to in the past, as they are beginning to now.

This would probably be a good topic for a thread sometime. It is sometimes difficult to decide on "what is the right thing to do". We have responsibility to our crew and the ELU as well as the "non knife enthusiast" in our society. "It is a puzzlement".

sal

------------------
"There seems to be an amazing connection between what people do... and what happens to them"

I am so happy that Spyderco is paying attention to distribution before the fact instead of waiting until some bad or misguided person uses one of your products in a crime. I think the way you guys handled the Civilian is a pretty good approach. You didn't list it in your catalogs, and its production had always been limited. I'm not too worried about Spyderco ever being a weapon of choice because even the Endura and Delica are "expensive" by popular standards. What I fear is thugs using cheap knockoffs of your products. I guess the best thing to do for that is too sue the hell of any knock artists you can find.

Sal, that is understandable, and thanks again for the info.
I agree with Anthony about the way Spyderco handled the Civilian. It is available only in limited quantities, and I've seen them for sale from a few carefully targeted catalog dealers(law enforcement, outdoor, military, etc.). And despite the fact that the Civilian has been used at least once in the entertainment world(high profile) in a negative light, I again agree with Anthony that perhaps the cost of these highend pieces has and will deter most thugs from making them common implements of crime.
Although the MBC I'm currently studying is asian(Pekiti-tirsia) I think the upswept bowie-style tip actually works well with our arcing thrusting methods.
Seeing how wide and beefy the blade is, I can clearly see why you'd call it a 21st century 110 on steroids. I'm definitely in the lovin' it camp.

Thanks,
Ken

Back