chipped edge

I have a strider that I rarely carry but decided to pull it out for some time in rotation. While examining the knife I noticed the edge was chipped in one spot on the belly of the blade. I have a KME sharpener and would like to remove the chipped edge. Not sure how to proceed with that. Is this a reprofile scenario? Please advise.

Last edited:
Without a picture, it's really impossible to say.

Agreed here — hard to say without seeing it. If it’s fairly small (i.e., only 25% on the cutting edge/secondary bevel deep) you can take a coarse stone set at whatever angle the rest of the edge is set and just work the entire edge until the chip is gone and everything is uniform again. You could also go with a medium stone, as well, if you’ve got the patience. If you used it pretty rigorously (to the point where it’s chipping) the rest of the edge could probably use some fresh steel exposed anyhow. Out with the old, in with the new.

That’s probably the tack I’d take.

I don't have a KME but I'm sure you could do it if the chip is not excessive.

I recently removed a chip from a Gerber for a friend using a Wicked Edge. I did basically what the member in post #3 described. It's not something I would want to do every day but I'm sure you could do it with your KME.

I did most of the grinding with 100 grit stones then progressed through 200, 600, 800, and 1000.
Chip 1.JPG
Chip 2.JPG
Chip 3.JPG
Chip 4.JPG
Chip 5.JPG

I don’t know why I didn’t mention this or post this link, but here’s some edge repair I did on CPM-REX 45. I did most of the repair on my coarsest stone and finished up through the rest of the progression, which allowed me to somewhat control the size of the burr that formed.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BxAO8rHBoSX/?igshid=122h579qpbju5

I would definitely recommend going through a medium/fine grit stone with almost no pressure at least a couple of times (raising a small burr, raising it on the other side, then doing each again) to remove any stressed steel or microchipping along the apex, which is almost certain to occur with a coarse diamond stone during reprofiling. I’ve found that some steels, like S90V, are more prone to it than others.

Back