1. BladeForums has ZERO TOLERANCE for extremism or calls of violence. We request your assistance dealing with this as we do not want to see the site shut down due to violent threats. Please see this thread here in Tech Support: https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/bladeforums-has-a-zero-tolerance-policy-towards-threats-of-violence-extremism-be-warned.1769537/

chiruwa arrived

Discussion in 'Himalayan Imports' started by fdchase, Mar 31, 2006.

1. fdchase

fdchase

Dec 17, 2005
    Awesome, awesome, awesome. Cannnot wait to put it to work. Researching my purchase was both entertaining and enlightening. Will make an effort to take pix and share but may be to busy breaking in this beauty. Thank you, Yangdu. Thank you, forum.

PS

does anyone use or recommend Ren wax for their Khukuris?

2. munk

munk

Mar 22, 2002
    For the longest time the Chiruwa AK was the number one favorite of a large percentage of forumites. (I assume that's what you are talking about) And no collection was complete without it. There are still many die hard fans of this knife. Raghorn used to say a 16.5" chiruwa AK would outchop a 18" AK. I dunno if that's true. Certainly true for Raghorn.

Ever popular mainstay of the hardcore. That 'if you break it, you'll get two replacements' was a legend. Very few people actually had to collect on that.

munk

3. Nasty

Nasty Chief Cook & Bottle Wash

Nov 11, 2003
    Yes...they do chop *very* well.

Also yes...Renwax is used by many.

4. fdchase

fdchase

Dec 17, 2005
    Munk those very things you mention are exactly what drew me to it in the first place.

Nasty thank you, fine job moderating so far.

Going to the Shop and ogle the WWII, GRS, and Pen for awhile. Early start tomorrow overhauling the landscape using the Chiruwa Ak. Can't Wait.

5. DKP

DKP

Nov 15, 1999
    I bought a 18.5" (I think) Chiruwa from another forumite a few years ago, & it & my 20" AK are my two favorite blades. The Chiruwa is heavy, but it balances really well.

6. lefthandblack

lefthandblack

Jan 22, 2004
    My 16.5 Chiruwa Ang Khola chops like a beast. It truly feels like the "unbreakable knife". You will love it. I can't even imagine having to collect on the "break it or bend it and get two free" warranty. I think this blade would survive a nuclear blast. It is a blade to last many lifetimes. Have fun and try to post pics of your purchase. Here are a couple of mine by Kumar.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. Fiddleback

Fiddleback Knifemaker Moderator Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Dealer / Materials Provider

Oct 19, 2005
    I love my CAK. It was my first HI knife. Its my truck knife now. (Well, that one, my Sarge Knife, two JKM's, a Mora #1, an SAK, an Opinel, a Kagas Katne, and that dang pig sticker too.) I think it will outchop most of my khuks including the larger ones. Its right up there with the best I've got for penetration (GRS, BC). :p

Lefthandblack, I remember when you first posted those pics. That is one beautiful CAK. Its got a nice wide belly too. If you were to refinish that handle it would POP like nobodies business. That rouge dulls the wood something fierce. There is hidden character under there if you're willing to dig for it.:thumbup:

8. fdchase

fdchase

Dec 17, 2005
    lefthandblack

mine is also from Kumar but I don't think my pictures will turn out nearly as awesome as yours. that is, if i even get them posted.

taking a break from the landscape overhaul. I am amazed at what I cut through in just under an hour. It went a little better as I went along, moving from frenzied hacking(could not contain initial excitement) to choosing my cuts and angles a little better. Accuracy improved overtime. It has been very dry around here and the wood was pretty hard and up to 3 1/2" to maybe even 4" thick. Sometimes took me 15-20 chops, sometimes considerabley less. I am sure that some of that can be attributed to me getting comfortable w/ my first Khukuri. Did not experience any vibes from the handle, which I was told to expect from a Chiruwa, only fatigue from the heft of the thing and hacking my heine off. Speaking of Heine, it might be time for a little ice cold fermented hop and malt beverage. Might have some before-during-after pics if I can overcome my techno-inadequacies.

9. IUKE12

IUKE12

Nov 25, 2005
    You have yourself one fine chopper there. Let's see some pictures when you can. Here is my sweet 16.5" CAK. I use nothing but Ballistol on my khurks, can't speak of Ren Wax.
    [​IMG]

10. Svashtar

Svashtar

Dec 28, 2003
    Dick (Sogguy) just bought a tin of it, and it's expensive stuff. He kindly gave me some of it, and so far it is great stuff. You can put it on anything, including paper and it lasts a long time, is almost invisible, doesn't streak or smear, and a little goes a very long way. Excellent for long term non-staining storage of guns and knives.

Norm