Chisel ground knives

Trying to post a picture of the Chisel edge knife I made, don't know if it'll work. Hmmm guess it worked! This knife was inspired by seeing RJ Martin showing how he finishes off the handles of his knives at Ashokan Seminar last Sept 98. He also did some cutting tests and his blades are extremely Sharp!.
Thanks RJ for the demo and for the incentive to make this knife!

G2

chisel1.jpg

www.geocities.com/Yosemite/Cabin/7306/blades.html

[This message has been edited by Gary W. Graley (edited 28 April 1999).]

Ivan: Check out my website, www.martinsite.com. to see how I do it. As to more specifics, you'll understand if I don't reveal all the specifics here. I have developed these things over many years, and, they work for me really well.

RJ

I have a chisel ground blade with secondary bevel that is now considered a left handers knife as the bevels are all on the left side. This in a custom Elishewitz M5 Omega that I've had for 5 years. I carried it and abused it for 4 years until getting a Sebenza, Genesis and Spydie Military. It now routinely sits in on a display.

Others have touched upon the salient issues that my personal experience has shown me. These grinds are not for utility use although you do have a wicked edge and things can indeed be cut well... just not as controlled as a classic dual beveled edge. This type of grind is primarily defensive (or offensive) and any utility use is simply cause thats the blade you have available. The Japanese single bevel are not of this grind.

I never bought another finding flat ground traditional baldes to provide much better utilitarian service.

------------------
-=[Bob]=-

I did NOT escape from the institution! They gave me a day pass!

Ivan:
I think for a self defense weapon,the chisel ground is the way to go. I tell you,nothing cut's in my opinion like a chisel ground blade. Out of all my knives,that are hollow ground and saber ground the chisel ground is the best cutting knife i own.

------------------
"ALWAYS WATCH YOUR SIX"

Gwinnydapooh, I totally agree with you that I probably have better overall success since I began with the chisel grinds. However,I I do like and use others as well on a daily basis. I do know that there are many times in a day , when needing a knife for utility purposes, I find myself wishing I carried one of my chisel ground blades
smile.gif

Someone else said that these blades are not for utility purposes at all. Once again, it seems whatever style you can control and get the best results with should be for utility purposes.

QUESTION: What is a Saber Grind, does anyone have some examples, thanks..

------------------
All of God's Critters may have knives, but most of them are Benchmade Knives

I believe the Endura / Delica / Rookie...etc...have a saber-grind. The Military / (Stryker???) have a flat-grind.
I can't think of any with a hollow-grind. -AR

Jackyl-
Yes but if you notice, the serrations are Chisel ground edges! No wonder they cut so well!

G2

------------------
When a fellow says, "it ain't the money but the principle of the thing,"
it's the money.
F. McKinney Hubbard

<A href="http://www.geocities.com/Yosemite/Cabin/7306/blades.html">G2's Leather!</A>

[This message has been edited by Gary W. Graley (edited 19 April 1999).]

Well, I always have considered the chisel ground blades good as weapons and only usable as anything else. Just to make it clear, folks.

Ivan

I have been using chisel ground knives for many years, and I had grown used to them.

BUT recently I happened to buy four new knives, all of them double grind, and I re-discovered the precision and symmetry of the classic design. I can no longer use a chisel edge, I find annoying the fact that the knife wants to cut its own route to the left (or to the right, depending on the chisel side).

Of course, I'm talking about utility knives, but I wouldn't think that it would make any difference if you slashed or stabbed at someone with the same knife in single or double bevel grind. As long as the knife is sharp, I wouldn't think that the type of the edge would affect the result ot the fight. (as for me, I would rather run away or use a more efficient weapon, but some people really are into knife fighting, so no offence please).

Costas

I have the BM975(my only chisel ground blade) and I love it. While it is not my primary carry it is an awesome back up.
As many have stated, the edge is easy to maintain and the tip is awesomely sharp.
Now while it does not cut food too well as my post on the "Embarassing Knife Moments" on the Knife forums will attest to, it is an agressive cutter.
My vote is get one and put it to work.
God Bless.

------------------
*Norse Knife Nut*

"Military" Fans Unite!!

"The only limitation is lack of imagination."

Great looking knife Gary!

slowjocrow
I have a kiridashi that came from Japan Woodworker that has laminated steel and a wooden handle. It is a relatively plain model but is a wonderful utility knife. I love it for when I do some woodwork or anything else that requires a precise straight cut. Great for scoring lines on wood using a straight edge or metal rule.

Back