Chitlangi! (be warned, it's a long

Given all of the glowing reviews of the Chitlangi that I've seen here in my short career as a forumite, plus the pics on the FAQ site, I decided that I wanted one. With a big "W" (all of the aesthetics of a Sirupati, plus fullers!). Well, for the last two months I've been cursing my khukri karma as PGA Chitlangis have been appearing, then disappearing within minutes. No longer.

I ventured out to the 'burbs today and there, waiting on my folks' doorstep, was the long, brown box I was expecting. (I usually have things shipped there since our mail service in the city isn't completely recovered from the anthrax incidents). In it was my 19" Kesar Chitlangi.

Beautiful!. The Chit is obviously one that they take great pride in at BirGorkha. Working from outside in, the scabbard (new style) is the best that I've seen. Flawless, and it holds the khuk AND the tools perfectly.

The handle is nice satisaal. Nothing too fancy. But, it's a perfect fit for my hand right out of the box. I have only one other khuk that qualifies in that regard.

The karda and chakma are OK. I noticed that they are a little better finished than the usual tools on the Kesars that I own.

The blade is without flaw, where it counts, with the mirror polish that one expects. The only imperfection is that Kesar didn't cut the back of the cho cleanly. No biggie. This one came with a nice edge, too.

I didn't do any weighing and measuring. I didn't have enough patience. Without even taking the "Made in Nepal" label off, I was out the back door in search of khuk fodder.

The first victim was a 3"-thick fallen oak branch. I found a fairly solid section and went to work. The blade bit through the soft stuff on the first strike, but deflected from the heart of the piece. A quick check revealed no damage to the edge. It took about 4 more whacks to get through, but this blade seemed to know what to do. The chopping was effortless - the sweet spot seemed to find the wood on its own. I then sectioned the rest of the branch.

Next, I decided to trim the big holly at the back of the property line. I didn't do any major damage, but took off a few branches where it wouldn't show. Anything less than a finger thick was a one stroke deal. A two-finger branch (1.5"?) took a little longer, but that was due to my poor technique, IMO.

Finally, I did a little cosmetic surgery on a couple of bushes that pop never seems to get around to taking out. The Chitlangi passed through the thin, springy stuff without hesitation.

A quick touch from a ScotchBrite pad cleaned the gunk off and, after a light coat of oil, I resheathed it.

The only bad thing is that the Chitlangi seems to have dimmed the magic of my other HI blades a little bit. This is a Chitlangi. They're just khuks.

S.

a while, and cool out, Spence :) Your CHIKV has you shaking so bad, you even chopped your post:rolleyes: HEH!

Keying error, Wal. But now that I have a Sinebrychoff porter inside of me, I'm back on an even keel.

S.

Nice Review Spence!!:D

Don't blame you for your love of the Chitlangi--I feel the same way about mine:) I haven't chopped anything with it, and I don't know if I will. ITs just so darn pretty:D

Rob

Back