Choil-less PM2?

sharp_edge

Gold Member
I've been thinking if this is a viable idea to have a choil-less PM2. Not that anything is wrong IMO with the current PM2 platform but just to satisfy people who like everything about the PM2 except the choil and shortened cutting edge, how about a PM2 variant like the one in the picture below? It will not interfere with the compression lock, correct?

vt5n0YN.jpg

Minus the compression lock and the G10, you have a Endela, drawn..

Maybe a G10 Endela? Spyderco has done, Foliage Green G10 Delica's and Endura's.. I would Love a Foliage Green G10 Endela, to go with mine!
(I know, I know, wrong lock)

Solid drawing!

To me personally, I would prefer one without a choil. I like your drawing. I would rather have more cutting length in the same size package.

I don't like choils. And, they snag on the cutting materials.

I only make use of something like a choil when making tent pegs, and I do my outside or woodworking stuffs with fixed blades.

Maybe a G10 Endela? Spyderco has done, Foliage Green G10 Delica's and Endura's.. I would Love a Foliage Green G10 Endela, to go with mine!

Solid drawing!

The ricasso area is different. I am thinking about having a slope plunge area with a small sharpening choil instead of the steep plunge line, similar to that on Hogue Ritter for example.

Maybe I should draw a look-through picture of the knife when fully closed to see how that part mates with the lockbar.

I very much see, what you're putting down!
Some fresh eye's, this morning, I looked closer to that area..

I was just going by outline, as I was just comparing my Endela and a PM2, the night before. Looking at the matched size's

Solid drawing!

A big difference between my PM2 and Endela is the angle of the tip. I prefer the Endela's hands down!

I would sign up for one for sure. I'm not a choil fan and try to avoid them if possible but I do have two PM2 simply because it's such a great knife.

No choil and longer blade in the same size PM2 would make it perfect. I like the drawing and the sharpening choil (Benchmade does this well - as in the Crooked River)

The finger choil is the only thing I dislike about the PM2. I have several PM2s and will continue to buy more as most others will so I don't believe Spyderco would make this happen unfortunately. They seem to like choils on pocket knives. I personally don't have much use for them and would much prefer a longer blade for use and for looks. If you stare at an opened PM2 for a while the sharpened blade looks way too short for such a long grip length.

If Spyderco would make a choil-less version it would be great if they made the blade a bit longer. It appears you could get at least an eight inch longer blade in the handle. Now I think I'm just dreaming. The knife is great as is but this would make it my favorite knife by far.

Part of the situation of having a choil is the compression lock. The position of the compression pin limits blade shapes near the pivot, and proximity of you finger to the sharp edge is also a factor.

Yes - the ricasso area needs some tweaking. I'll need to disassemble a PM2 in order to come up with the exact drawing of that area. But by just looking through from the compression tab area, I think it is doable to change at least half of the current finger choil into sharpened edge (the other half or 1/3 into a small sharpening choil), without interfering the compression lock and not introduce any chance of cutting the finger tip when disengaging the lock.

Back