1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Week 29 of the BladeForums.com Year of Giveaways is live! Enter to win a Ron Flaherty Folder

Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Ron Flaherty folder , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, and help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread!

Entries will close at 11:59PM Saturday, July 20 ; winners will be drawn on Sunday @ 5pm on our Youtube Channel: TheRealBladeForums. Bonus prizes will be given during the livestream!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Choosing between a Candiru and an Izula

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by BladeKnoob, Jan 7, 2018.

1. BladeKnoob

BladeKnoob

Apr 16, 2015
    Hello. I know this has been debated over and over again, but please bear with me as I may have missed a convincing argument. I'm leaning towards the Izula, despite the added bulk, because the weight difference is so minimal for the slightly bigger blade and fuller grip. Adding the sheath, scales, etc, the total difference is only about .5 oz.

Besides compactness, are there other advantages of the Candiru? Thank you.

2. Humppa

Humppa

Jul 25, 2010
    I see none.

I´d go with the IZULA within a heartbeat. Both are quiete equal in cutting performance. But it depends on what you are looking for. If you want a decent slicer - I´d go with a complete other tool/knife. Both seem to split more than to cut.

But I´d go with a IZULA due to its better ergos, IMO.

3. extrastout

extrastout Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 10, 2013
    you will probably be shell shocked like me at how small the izula is once its unveiled (pictures add 10lbs). But carries proud and holds its own as a tough little edc (little knife disease)....The Candiru is smaller so....you get where i'm going with this. I can't imagine going smaller than the izula, unless you just need the belly and tip of the blade...then the candiru might be worth the shorter overall length

Last edited: Jan 7, 2018
    19-3ben likes this.
  4. BladeKnoob

BladeKnoob

Apr 16, 2015
    I see. Thank you. The intended use is as a utility/general neck knife for day hikes and campsites. Would you recommend a different model for that?

5. shinyedges

shinyedges Unfaltering Love & Undeviating Will Platinum Member

Jun 5, 2012
    I like the izula 2 better than the izula. More space for my large mitts.

19-3ben likes this.
  6. BladeKnoob

BladeKnoob

Apr 16, 2015
    I was thinking along the same lines, but was wondering why the Candiru was so popular and thought I may have missed something. Thank you.

7. extrastout

extrastout Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 10, 2013
    My favorite edc.....(sorry how I lined up the scale....Sunday Funday;))
    [​IMG]

LG&M likes this.
  8. shinyedges

shinyedges Unfaltering Love & Undeviating Will Platinum Member

Jun 5, 2012
    [​IMG]
    best free photo upload sites

Since there is another photo with the izula and a scale I figured might as well throw this one out there. The extra handle length doesn't add all that much weight but it does add a world of comfort if you have larger hands.

9. Hickory n steel

Hickory n steel Basic Member Basic Member

Feb 11, 2016
    This has no bearing on anything, but I think the izula looks better and appears to have better ergonomics than the candiru.
    I've held a cheapo izula copy at the flea market once and it felt great in hand.

The larger size of the izula would probably be better for a higher volume of use as well.

10. BladeKnoob

BladeKnoob

Apr 16, 2015
    Izula wins. Thanks everyone.

extrastout and Mountain Mike like this.
  11. 115Italian

115Italian

Nov 13, 2015
    For an actual usable knife for general tasks, izula. I was stuck in this contemplation for a while myself. Then i stumbled on another alternative. Whiteriver backpacker. Just to give you another option.