Choosing new stones

I am looking at getting a new stone set-up. Basically I would like to know what all the cool kids are doing. Naniwa and Shapton is mostly what I have looked at, but want your advice. Is there others I should be looking at? Norton? What series and grits?

A few questions to fill in the gaps:
What are you sharpening?
What steels will you be sharpening?
What will you be using them for?
What stones have you sharpened with?

I have used the Baryonyx Arctic Fox field sharpener almost exclusively recently. Great feedback, nice polish. You get the fine side in a grown up Benchstone as well. For refinement after (if necessary), I recently got back to one sheet of printer paper on the coarse Norton Crystolon side with Flexcut gold applied. I think the first that mentioned it ever was HeavyHanded here on BF. It's a great , clean and cheap way with very good results.

For steels with those crazy hard carbides, I would use diamond plates only and end up with the same stropping procedure except would either use HeavyHanded's new gray compound (that has some diamond content) or diamond spray/paste instead of Flexcut gold

P.s. I am most certainly not a cool kid !

I like the Boride stones. There are several different types for different needs. I use the T2 stones and the CS-HD stones. They work quick and produce great results. I have both types in 1'' x 6'', and 1/2'' x 6'' for small or hawk bill type blade.

A few questions to fill in the gaps:
What are you sharpening?
What steels will you be sharpening?
What will you be using them for?
What stones have you sharpened with?

Sharpening knives, nothing else. Various steels. For stones I have DMT and some misc old stuff. I have edge pro and other systems and get good results. But I like variety and new things. So wanting to get whatever is trendy in a stone set-up.

The norton 8000 is a decent stone the rest of the norton line is not very impressive to down right terrible. but I really love my shapton pros. I seem to gravitate more towards harder stones. But waterstones have a flavor for everyone. If you like softer stones that generate a good slurry look at soaking stones like king stones. Also if you are sharpening simpler steels don't turn your nose down on a set of India stones followe'd up with arkansas stones. I have started finding some real joy our of a soft and a true hard arkansas I was given the last couple weeks

As long as you are not sharpening any high vanadium carbide steels King stones are a great investment.
Water stones are a whole different beast and something like the King 800/4000 will get you a nice stone that gives excellent results for not much coin.

Really cool kids use Juuma waterstones with a Washboard plate! :D

I have the 800 and 2k, and I follow them up with a Suehiro G8 when not just polishing the edge off on a Washboard from the 2k.

I have a set of the Suzuki Ya waterstones and they are a pleasure to sharpen with. A hard stone that forms a perfect amount of mud.

I like my Nortons too, but they need an entirely different approach. They work great on carbon steels and lower RC stainless.

The Juuma stones are extremely hard and release very little mud. I can use them on high carbide steels as long as lower vanadium content.

Bonded diamond stones (Naniwa/Gritomatic/iWood) are trendy (I am leaning towards iWood). Baryonyx stones are trendy (waiting on their SiC line). DMT HC (currently available in select grits only). Sigma Power Select II and Atoma are always trendy (IMHO). Coarse stones such as the Sun Tiger #240 in GC :)...

IMG_20171102_112738_edit.jpg

Back