• Preorders are LIVE for the 2024 BladeForums Traditional Knife

Traditional Knife Information Thread - make sure you go in there and read up.

Requirements: Be a Gold or higher member or have been a member of the forums since 6/2023 with at least 100 posts in the Traditional Forum. Preorder is for people who live in the continental US only, international orders will be separate.

Delivery expected in Q4 2024, hopefully before the holidays.

User Name
    Serial number request

Chop/Cut or Saw?

OK,

Imagine you are in the woods, and you are planning to build a permanent shelter.

You are well versed in building with wood.

Was it worth it to drag a saw with you or are you doing everything with an axe or variant?

------------------
Marion David Poff aka Eye, one can msg me at mdpoff@hotmail.com If I fail to check back with this thread and you want some info, email me.

My site is at: http://www.geocities.com/Yosemite/Meadows/1770/index.html

Check out my review of the Kasper AFCK, thougths on the AFCK and interview of Bob Kasper. http://www.geocities.com/Yosemite/Meadows/1770/kasperafck.html

If i am building a permanent shelter with no restrictions imposed I will have a wide variety of gear, from hand tools to heavy equipment. Yes, there will be saws involved.

------------------
James

James, Are you playing devils advocate with me?

Clarification, I am asking, you have an axe. Is that really enough or do you need a saw?

MDP, sorry, just being a pain
wink.gif

I think that in a pinch, an axe would do fine, and might even be preferable if going so far as to build a log cabin. More versatile than a saw, so the axe gets my vote.

------------------
James

i would have to go with an axe.
saws are easy to use, and safer, but i cant sharpen one now, let alone in the middle of nowhere with minimal equipment.
i would be able to sharpen an axe with any old rock lying around-it wouldnt be a good edge, and it may take a while, but i could resharpen an axe.
also, im not likely to break the axe head, and i could replace the handle if i break it, but i have broken saws before, and i wouldnt be able to repair/replace it out in the woods.
id have to go with an axe as well

If you have the option yes, drag a saw along, as they work well. In the pre-chain saw days around here a 'felling ax' was common, typically a long, not too wide, hard double bit, but most of the work was done with saws. A triangle file seems to handle the task of touching up a lot of hand saws.

How 'bout the Pocket Chainsaw? Cuts thru wood (or just about anything) faster than any other saw OR axe, w/far less effort. Far more durable than any other saw, too, as there really is no problem w/binding or breaking; nor does dulling appear to be a problem. (I mean, you'd need to cut thru slabs of concrete or metal piping before these teeth give in...)

Moreover, it weighs only 3 oz or so, comes rolled up in its own round tin, and takes up almost no space. (Fits easily in a small pocket, or even your sock in a pinch.) All for $20-$25.

Yea or nay?

Glen

I'll have to second Storyvilles' request. I was wondering the same thing. I'd like to add another question for anyone who's owned a pocket chain saw. I know that the pocket cs cuts in both directions and a normal chain, only one.

Q: Are normal cs teeth the same as the pocket cs teeth. In other words, can I cut a normal chain open, put a wood handle on each end and have a pocket cs that only cuts in one direction?

------------------
"But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip; and he that hath no sword let him sell his garment and buy one." Luke 22:36 & John 3:18

Yea, definitely a saw. I can't imagine doing everything with an axe. An axe may be cool, and look macho, but a saw is a LOT more accurate, and a LOT easier to use (concerning energy experndature). Pocket saws are nifty man!

Howie

A saw is a construction tool, an axe is more a survival tool.

Personaly I'd prefer a small axe/hatchet to a saw. I can do everything I can do with a saw with an axe instead, but the reverse is not true.

That said, I've been considering one of those pocket chainsaw jobs.

I think it is worth it to take a saw along if you have to do a lot of cutting (takes less energy I think) and/or if you need to be more quiet. If you can carry both an axe is handy to get a saw out if you make a mistake and get it bound up.
m

If I'm gonna be there for a very long time I would have to go with a double edged axe. Any type of saw will get dull and could prove to be quite a task to sharpen, while an axe is easily sharpened. You may break the handle but you could still use the axe to make a new one!

Lonnie

Back