Choppers and Beaters

Crag the Brewer

I make Nice, boring knives
Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
I haven't been in the forum much lately, but I've been getting Plenty of Knife Time....both Using, and modifying like I do.....

I'm still on the quest for my grail, idk if we All are?

Recently over winter I picked up a Crowell/Barker Comp knife.... Love certain aspects of it. It's Very slicely, Very sharp. It's like a fancy BK5, sorta? :D But I hated the handle, so I removed it, ground the tang to what I wanted, and made new scales with my kind of hardware...… It's nice.

But more knife than chopper.

So Back to Beating this to Death....

I've Always admired the Junglas… I don't have one yet, nor have I held one. So there is That.

I have the "becker" Parangatang (my version) a lot of you have seen.....I wonder if I poisoned myself??? Because its Sooooo Good! Is there ANYTHING better than this?

I've always been curious towards the BK21... almost pulled the trigger Numerous times.
But haven't. Just don't know about that blade shape???

So basically what I'm asking....because I know a bunch of us have a big variety....
Those who Have Used the Parangatang….. What is Better at Chopping/Hacking/Destroying the World....haha.....It's probably just going to be a $20 manchette…. but I want it to be Nicer.

Thank you to All the knowledge that is HERE!

I loooove the parangatang! :thumbsup:

Beasts that I own, three knives come to mind:

1. Skrama
2. Tops El Chete
3. Carothers Medium Heavy Chopper

I would recommend all! :)

The man is right...
SZfqnHK.jpg

:)

I think youre going to be hard pressed to find anything noticeably better than the parangatang, but you can report back to us your findings after you pick up a junglas, bk21, and maybe rtak 2. The US version of the kabar pestilence looks to have a solid design as well.

At the end of the day, the “kukri-ish” design of the bk21 sets itself apart from the others in chopping. For hacking and slashing, the shape of the bk21 may feel awkward so a more balanced design like the parangatang or other blades mentioned are more suited for that task.

I dont know why but for whatever reason, i want something akin to a bk9 with a 1/4 spine and 2’ handle in similar style to the bk62 with that same full tang and tapered thickness. You can clear out branches hanging overhead, make a clearing chopping away at the bases of brush, baton wood with it, swing it like an axe to chop logs (not splitting) from anything under 8”.
I usually just convince myself the desire for this is just the kid in me though.

GeofS GeofS I forgot the El Chete is on my list too.... When it came out it was All the rage on YT.... but now crickets. Maybe that is true will all knives?

It looks like you used it some, and I believe you have the parang as well? And of course I assume the 21...haha

You might be the Best person to compare those 3? :D

I'm sure the Carothers is Beautiful, but out of my price range for something I want to beat the Snot out of.....haha

Crag, do you want to borrow my 21?
It has a slightly modded grip for more hand room, but is otherwise pretty much stock.

That's very generous of you....I appreciate it... I'll have to think about it, but I would only baby another persons knife. :)
I'd probably have to trade or something to make me feel better about it.

I'm probably just looking for an Honest "Must Buy" recommendation for those that use the 21? Then I will....

also I agree about wanting to open up the scales some....If you have pics that show that off, I'm curious how much that helped?
When I Do get the 21, I'll bore out the front screw hole and insert a nice piece of tubing for a front lanyard. Copper or brass, idk yet? I'm still dreaming about that...

Thank You!

I opened up the front and back angles.
It only added about 1/4-3/8" of space, but significantly improved chopping comfort.
Used the stock grivory with epoxy filling fore and aft.
If you want to try it out, I'm not worried about it breaking.
If you get it and want to make a trade, that's ok, too.
Between my M18 and Skrama, the bk21 isn't getting any attention.

It only added about 1/4-3/8" of space, but significantly improved chopping comfort.

Really...the scrama is That good? Id guess the 21 would be better than Both those?
Interesting...

Can you send a pic of your modded handle 21? I have a 7 with a wrap on the handle for a palm swell that helps my hand fit those little becker handles a bit better. That said, yhe wrap leaves it a little too fat, and I might prefer your mod. The size of the handle is probably the only reason I don't have a 21.
http://imgur.com/a/3d4wl9D

BK20 chops better than the Parangatang, weighs less, and has a much more comfortable handle. But the BK20 is not easily found anymore.

t7yEra5.jpg
My 20 still sits un-used in the box. But I did have the pleasure of beating the crap out of @nutoknives 20 for a month or three. On that note I do love me some parangatang but the 20 is a much handier blade for sure.

That's what I love about the niner. Best chopper? Perhaps not, but pound for pound, I'd run it against about anything out there.

My best chopper? Hands down, my e-nep. And only paid like $35 for it too:

Always liked my Uncle E-nep rendering too, haha:

UncleENEP-vi.png

Back