1. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win an Ontario Knives Spec Plus SP8 Machete Survival Knife & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday Sept 7!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, Sept 8 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Chopweiler with Rattys new grips...

Discussion in 'Swamp Rat Knives' started by Snakebreaker, Jun 9, 2016.

1. Snakebreaker

Snakebreaker Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 7, 2013
    If this has been done before.....please forgive. The new Ratweilers scales feel soooooo amazing in hand. If there is a PEREFECT blade, it would be the Chopweilers drop point blade with the new Rattys sub hilt scales.

Am I alone on this?????

2. Hard Knocks

Hard Knocks Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 1, 2012
    A great idea and i put a plug in for it on Jerry's OP2W 2nd half thread :thumbup:

If we don't get a run of them, I may grind my thin Ratweiler into a DropWeiler, lol.

3. Snakebreaker

Feb 7, 2013
    Perfect! That's what I'm talking about!

4. elof_alv

elof_alv Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 13, 2009
    I think that the magic of Chopweiler is an equal part the handle and the unusual shape of the drop point.
    To grind the drop point on Ratweiler would shorten the blade quite a bit, taking away the magic performance

5. Hard Knocks

Oct 1, 2012
    I have been laying them on top of each other trying to judge just that. It will be close, there are definitely many subtle differences on two such similar blades. Hopefully Jerry will make a run of them and I won't have to hack that CG up. Did the Swamp ever do a run of LEs for the chopweiler?

6. Hard Knocks

Oct 1, 2012
    We're going to need pics in here :)

WIP pics jungle green I believe with black canvas to bead-blasted and oiled black canvas

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. Hard Knocks

Oct 1, 2012
    Handle contour on LE

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. hoogansloppen

hoogansloppen

Mar 25, 2015
    I have been hoping to see a Chopweiler every Wednesday since the Ratweiler re-release! I feel like the swamp is due for an OP2W knife anyway and it would be a good way to start off OP2W part 2.

9. elof_alv

elof_alv Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 13, 2009
    No LE, but there was a small quantity in Competition Finish...

10. Hard Knocks

Oct 1, 2012
    I second that. Chopweiler, Chopmastiff, Ratmastiff.........mmmmmm.

Wow. I don't think I have ever seen a comp finished choppy.

11. Hard Knocks

Oct 1, 2012
    CW/RW overlay comparison shots

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Elof, the scales have lightened up to almost their original color after the blasting and oiling.

12. Snakebreaker

Feb 7, 2013
    Good pics Knocks. Just got back from some dirt time with just the Chopweiler and the new Ratweiler.
    Beat the snot out of both of them.

I really can't believe I'm going to say this, but..............

The Ratweiler takes the win.

The handles, for me anyway, are just ridiculously comfortable and ergonomic. Zero hotspots. Because of this, it was out chopping the Chopweiler. I wanted Choppy to feel better.......but it just didn't using them one after another.

Same for small detailed work. Rattys new scales just flat out rock.

Edge retention.......

Choppys definitely got a temper.......in fact, she has two tempers! That was for you Rats who have been around awhile. Remember that advertisement???

Despite Choppys differential heat treat.........Ratty held its edge just as well. Both were hair popping sharp when I left this morning, and after several hours of beating on both, there is absolutely no loss of the edge what so ever on either.

Now.......Choppy may prove to hold the edge long term because of the heat treat, time will tell. More beat downs are in order so the jury can make a verdict.

Either way......both blades are certainly must have legends, but damn this new Ratty is just insane!

Final note......

Choppys cut me literally to the bone on 3 different occasions.

Ratty drew blood from me within 10 minutes of unboxing it. Nothing to the bone........yet!

They are both nasty, vile blades that need to be fed often. Owners beware.

13. Hard Knocks

Oct 1, 2012
    I've been very pleased with my RW LE in the woods. So comfortable. We NEED a run of revamped chopweilers.

Did the index finger notch on the RW factor into that comfort Snakebreaker? Or just the fact of the contouring vs flat slabs?

14. Snakebreaker

Feb 7, 2013
    Agreed brother. A revamped Choppy is a MUST.

As far as the scales go Knocks.............YES!

To me.......its the ultimate combo.

15. Hard Knocks

Oct 1, 2012
    Sweet. I've got to get some more use on my chopweiler. I did a bunch of batoning with it a few weeks back and it definitely rocks there. Sounds like I need an outing with them side by side. Cheers bud.

16. FloridaBlade

FloridaBlade

Mar 10, 2015
    Thanks for the review/report; I had a feeling you would like it. :thumbup:

Chopweiler = LEGEND

Ratweiler = FREAKING LEGEND :D

[​IMG]

17. Ratman79

Ratman79

Jan 5, 2016
    I agree w/ everyone here about the Ratweiler--the new one; I have no experience w/ the original, but the ad was legendary : "...This bitch has a temper...actually she's got two!..."

I don't own a Chopweiler but I think I would love it! I was a Swamp purist before I ever bought a Busse or Yard knife. The Swamp just nails it on design, practicality and simple elegance...I also find the Weiler's scales to be a great fit for my hand. When I first saw the handle, I didn't know what to think, but the blade design spoke to me deep inside so I got one last December and am so glad I did. Got the 1/4in with bruiser. I only regret not getting more!!

18. cut it out

cut it out Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 11, 2010
    I agree to. I have both but the new RW handle is great! I also had a Gen 1 RW and the new scales are better. http://[​IMG]