Chris Reeve Knives - does the finishing bother anyone else?

I've wanted to try out a Sebenza for myself for a long time. The one thing that kept me from doing so was the finishing; it seems all the models with nice inlays or milling always have satin on only one side, or even when it's satin finished on the flats of both scales, the lock bar and perimeters of the frames are still blasted. That's always turned me off getting one, so I was just wondering if anyone else felt the same.

And if there's a particular version which doesn't have this demerit, please throw it out there. Thanks.

I think the contrast is ugly which is why I prefer the plain jane. Even better if it's been used with scratches all over it and the blue paint coming off on the thumb stud.
The plain ones are objectively good, but for me, I figure if I'm going to add another knife to an already saturated collection it should be something more unique.

In general, I am not a fan of metal scales but, I recently carried a plain Inkosi Insingo for about a month. I found the finish to be well done and had zero complaints.

Yup ive always hated that look.I think the lockbar side should match the finish on the opposite side, especially considering how much more those embellished models cost.Just not crazy about that finish in general,it marks up too easily. too bad the frames werent stonewashed id love to see that finish used instead of the bead blast grey.I have a large inkosi,and have had a few CRKs over the years so im familiar with how that finish wears.

I'm not of a fan of the polished slabs. I don't think any of the wood inlays come any other way. Some of the CCG's don't have polished slabs, but you have to look for them, some of the Uniques are offered in reverse silver contrast. Other than the plain janes, they're out there, you just have to look for a graphic you'll like. I'm partial to this one.

IkrPAOP.jpg

Did you try contacting CRK to inquire about a custom build made to your liking?

Not sure if they will oblige, but doesn't hurt to inquire. They were pretty pleasant folks to deal with when I contacted them a while back.

I'm not of a fan of the polished slabs. I don't think any of the wood inlays come any other way. Some of the CCG's don't have polished slabs, but you have to look for them, some of the Uniques are offered in reverse silver contrast. Other than the plain janes, they're out there, you just have to look for a graphic you'll like. I'm partial to this one.

IkrPAOP.jpg
That is an awesome Sebenza! I would go for that if I could find one. I'll definitely keep an eye out for these reverse silver contrast models.
Did you try contacting CRK to inquire about a custom build made to your liking?

Not sure if they will oblige, but doesn't hurt to inquire. They were pretty pleasant folks to deal with when I contacted them a while back.
I wasn't aware that they took custom orders. I thought they just made runs like most other small batch production companies. But if they do, I might look into that avenue. Thanks.

I've been tempted to buy another before the 21's are all gone!
I just got my first 31 and greatly prefer the 21 clip position. However the ceramic lock interface is great. I guess I'll just have to have a CF scale made for my Umnumzaan and have the best of both worlds :)

Why didn't KA ever do a CF Zaan?

I like the plain, just engraved (eg zaan, the example above, the doppler, Wilson combat etc) and micarta versions the best - for this reason. I see CRK as primarily a work tool.

I have one wood inlay version (small seb) because the wood grain appealed to me but would have preferred a non-satin finish around it. IMO they look good new but don't look good scratched up (like the others listed above do). Even more so for the CCG models - some look great but I would need to baby it if I had one - which I know I won't do.

The one thing that kept me from doing so was the finishing; it seems all the models with nice inlays or milling always have satin on only one side, or even when it's satin finished on the flats of both scales, the lock bar and perimeters of the frames are still blasted. That's always turned me off getting one, so I was just wondering if anyone else felt the same.

^ +1

13403145_10206954060070130_1399121401121512321_o.jpg 13392046_10206954061710171_579355363140294089_o.jpg

I have the Star-Benza Inkosi (lrg) and thought about a DIY two-tone Star-Benz finish as demonstrated by "M0DiFiEDZ" in his YouTube post below. I've come close to doing it but decided I really like the look and feel of the blasted starburst scales as is. The modification still temps me, it's a good look.

Back