Chris Reeve Knives Large Inkosi

Great read and pictures. Just a side note i also love that the hex wrenches are Wiha brand but not sure if its CRK or Wiha but they dont fit snug. There is a bit movement and because of it on of the body pins screw heads got stripped.

I forget where i read it but there is a perfect fit but cant remember if it was the metric size or the SAE USA size wrench. Probably the US since Wiha is from Germany and most likely using metric sizing

Great read and pictures. Just a side note i also love that the hex wrenches are Wiha brand but not sure if its CRK or Wiha but they dont fit snug. There is a bit movement and because of it on of the body pins screw heads got stripped.

I forget where i read it but there is a perfect fit but cant remember if it was the metric size or the SAE USA size wrench. Probably the US since Wiha is from Germany and most likely using metric sizing

2mm hex

Then either CRK or Wiha has their tolerances a bit off if its supposed to be 2mm

Negative

CRK specifies a 5/64 hex wrench for disassembly, but a 5/64 and a 2mm are really really close and a 2mm fits..but is a bit snug.

Or I could have my knife that went back to the shop twice for the same problem they missed at the factory. Hmmmmm must be on me I understand now thanks for clearing. my $400 knife has to pass threw qc 3 times to have a chance at being made correct.

Your clearly too much of a crk fan boy to realize QC has dropped. Look up YouTube videos. Ppl have none symmetrical flats on the blade. Ppl put calipers to them one side it a couple thousand off of the other. That's not tighter then NASA tolerances. My spinning washers aren't tighter then NASA. Again I still like the knife but not worth $425.

They have a really really good warranty if it wasn't for that the knife would be sold. The blades at $125 is a ripoff tho.

The knives are overpriced by today's standards

Last edited:
Your clearly too much of a crk fan boy to realize QC has dropped. Look up YouTube videos. Ppl have on symmetrical flats on the blade. Ppl put calipers to them one side it a couple thousand off of the other. That's not tighter then NASA tolerances. My spinning washers aren't tighter then NASA. Again I still like the knife but not worth $425.

They have a really really good warranty if it wasn't for that the knife would be sold. The blades at $125 is a ripoff tho.

The knives are overpriced by today's standards

Worth is determined by what somebody will pay for something- that somebody may or may not be you.
As far as measuring grinds, I have never done it and I AM a machinist of nearly 30yrs..Despite this, I will bite.

What have YOU measured- not some tool on youtube..YOU.
How close should a grind be on both sides? A couple of thousandths measured with calipers? Are you serious? The best of calipers are only good to within .002in..let alone the harbor freight garbage these people are using...and that is with someone that has been trained to use them properly. NASA doesn't use calipers to measure tight tolerances...Right tool for the right job and all- if they are within .020, that is good for me- Most people don't have that kind of ADHD to even see that.
Here is an idea of the tolerances they try to hold.
The blade blanks are ground flat and parallel within .0005in over the length. Most of the time, they are within .0001-.0002 flatness and parallelism.
Many of the turned parts are +.0000, -.0002in on diameters.
None of which can be measured with calipers.

Did you buy your knife second hand? New? None of this should matter if it's authentic- Passing through the shop 3x shouldn't happen to correct an issue. That part is true..but I don't know the details on that. You probably need to have a frank conversation with Angela, Matt or Tim to get that rectified to your satisfaction.
I have no idea about your washers spinning..No idea what is going on with that. There are too many factors to consider. Personally- I don't even look to see if my washers on any of mine are "spinning" as I am too busy using it to even notice. Weird.

To address your fanboy assertion...Sure; Everyone is a fan of something...but to be clear...I am a fan of Shirogorov, Northwoods, Case, GEC, Queen Cutlery and several other knives too. I know the most about CRK. I live close to them. Have made parts at different points in time for them. Make tools for them.
It's really a paradox that I can buy knives from them, and I buy quite alot- both new and on the secondary market and don't have any of these issues.
The sample size must be too small if you are familiar with statistics.
To put it another way, and I have stated this before. If there isn't a problem, then people don't say anything..but when there is a problem, they shout it from rooftops (see youtube). Stating that there is a QC problem in these vids or a few times on a forum like this one, makes the problem seem more prevalent.
See bolded statement in the previous paragraph if this statement doesn't make sense.

Yes the knife was bought new. I'm the original owner.

I didn't have to look and see if the washers we're spinning. The second you opened the blade you could feel fbw moving on the Bead blasted titanium scales. as you can imagine would be extremely greedy feeling and hard to miss.

If you compare knives today at the $425 price that buys you allot of knife today. With better then s35vn. I think 20cv would be a welcome step up. It's extremely corrosion resistance. I'd have to look at the Chemical make up of the steel agin to say witch is better but very close nonetheless. $425 also gets you normally con toward titanium with allot of generally technical milling on the scales. Also normally back with a grate warranty. That last part they got correct.

And after all this I'd say they probably would get the problem fixed this time but again I'd have to be without my $425 knife for another month + to me that's just wrong.

That's said again I really do like the simplicity of the knife. It's very well done and will be sticking around. Just left a bad tast in my mouth and I don't look at the company the same anymore.

And how couldn't you be a fanboy of shirogorov. The 95t is one of the best knives imo. I'm a Ferrum forge fanboy and an x crk fanboy.

Why do you think they dropped the bushing pivot if not for having to take the extra time to make everything perfect 100% of the time?

Believe me, I wish they would offer some different options for the blade..I would be thrilled with M390 or some of the other steels out.
May take some doing as they grind their blades in the fully heat treated state- Kindof an interesting process when you think about it.

You need to do better than throw out a number like $425 and say that there are plenty of options-
Throw down some names and models so we know what you are comparing to. Nobody is saying there aren't other options in the same price range and some even lower. Especially some of the Reate, CKF..etc. The nice thing about CRK is that they hold their value pretty well, so selling it and getting one of those is always an option.

Like I previously stated, I have no idea what's going on with your washers- My only thought was that CRK's take a period of time and working them to break in.
Some people like to use too much of the lube, which can and does cause the washers to spin. The lube must be used very very sparingly. You may wipe all the lube off and reassemble and see if they still spin or feel gritty.

The Shirogorov F95T is the one I own- Actually, its listed on the exchange.. Thinking seriously about keeping it. Very cool knife and it's functionally as well as aesthetically flawless. Great steel too!

Why do you think they dropped the bushing pivot if not for having to take the extra time to make everything perfect 100% of the time?

To be very clear- the pivot bushing is still alive and well and not going anywhere for the foreseeable future. They added a different design to the lineup.
Personally, I like the Umnumzaans the most. Old pivot of course, but the Inkosi is right behind it.. The adjustment really isn't difficult- Tighten until you meet resistance and back off a hair. Perfect every time.. I don't have to worry about pinching washers or sending the knife back to CRK for new washers. They will send Umnumzaan and Inkosi washers to ME that don't have to be custom fitted. What's so hard and wrong about that? Seems like progress to me.

Thank you for the review as it showed a whole lot about the knife and what goes to making it so fine.
If $425 is what it takes to buy one then thats the price. No one else makes a Chris Reeve Knives Large Inkosi that I'm aware of. Another manufacturer, another knife, is something different. $425 isn't bad for something that might well last a lifetime or two, if you are into that kind of thing. My computer cost a whole lot more and I'll be lucky to get four years out of it. Its all relative, all about what disposable income you have, and personal choice and expectations. For me Chris Reeve Knives hold my respect and as a brand keep on delivering practical, desirable, knives I am happy to buy into. Other people might not share my view, or just have different approach to my tastes.
I don't have one, but have a few Chris Reeve Knives, some I have had for many many years. They all deliver exactly what I want and keep on doing so. Loads of luck built into them, above just good design and engineering, as I haven't lost one, haven't broken one, haven't had one let me down. To me thats good value as they have all seen plenty of work.

I understand this is a Knife forum and all views are valid, right or wrong. Its a place to talk knives, and every minute aspect of them. But what shouldn't be lost is a great knife is a great knife and thats what Chris Reeve Knives produces. The rest is tech talk and personal taste, the price just one of many factors.
Lastly, I only buy knives I like, and it just happens some have been from Chris Reeve Knives. They must be doing something right, I have SAKs and Opinels too.

Last edited:
I deleted what I had posted and I'm changing it to this. I don't what to give any knife maker a hard time unless it's Emerson lol. I'm choosing to end this conversation now. The sabenza is a excellent example of a knife when done correctly. I may of had some problems with them but it's nothing that can't get resolved.

Have a nice grate day

Last edited:
I cheated and read your edits..

I know how it ends :D

Send me a pm if you need some help getting that Sebenza issue sorted

Back