Chris Reeve Pacific Kydex Problem

MatthewSB

Gold Member
I recently picked up my dream knife, a CR Pacific :D

CRPacific02_zpsce22b1fe.jpg

The knife is great, but I really want a higher riding kydex sheath. I have made a few sheaths and have gotten pretty good at it, but I'm having a lot of trouble with this one and need help. The thumb ramp is especially challenging, as is the choil, but what's really confusing me is the way that the blade is wider out towards the last third of the blade, before the clip point.

I made two sheaths so far, and both are less than perfect.

The two piece sheath went well during the molding and finishing processes, but when I tried to insert the knife it won't even go inside the sheath. I believe that this is because the blade is wider towards the tip, about 2/3 up.

The taco style 1 piece sheath turned out much better, but it lacks the retention that I need to be confident that I'm not going to lose my expensive knife.

I guess I'm looking for design advice more than anything else. I usually prefer two piece sheaths because the retention is easier to get right, but the widening of the blade is really throwing me off. I'll post a picture of what I have when I get home this afternoon.

Pics of the sheaths will be nice so we can see and give some advice..
without seeing the Taco sheath i will suggest you add one more eyelet higher up for the retention....if the retention is to tight after that just do a cutout like in the TIE sheaths and i warranty it will work...
here is an example in one of my skyline sheaths:

DSC01973_zps1402231f.jpg

A quick fix would be to heat your already molded sheath in the suspected trouble area and push your duct tape knife in and out. This will push out the area that is to tight. However it may ruin some lines on your kydex.

This worked on some recurves i had to allow the curved blade out. should theoretically work for a wider tip as well?

I figured out what to do. Will redo this thing and post pictures tomorrow of the finished product :D

Back