Chris Reeve Spa Treatment Canada

Hello my fellow snow mexicans. I'll keep this brief. Does anyone know if the Chris Reeve spa treatment would still work with the current import ban on folding knives. If they disassemble it at the factory, could I import it back? Cheers

Hi, there is no import ban on folding knives.

Some folks with flippers, or other edgy stuff have had issues.

Personally I've bought a few knives in the USA since the sky fell including stuff you can shake open without too much trouble and had no problems.

I'd say contact CRK and be aware they've had one arm tied behind their back with the current pandemic so they may not be up to full speed.

I'm from Canada and just sent mine to the factory for tuning. I heard CRK declares on the customs form "original owner sending in knife for warranty"--perhaps that evades customs.

I'll keep you updated.

This was the previous response I got when I inquired.

We have had one issue with customs in the last 5 years since I have worked here, where a package was seized but it was due to a customs agent not understanding the laws and how our product does not fall into the "illegal" category. We are still working closely with this customer and customs to fight the initial decision. We fill out customs forms and our invoice to reflect a product being returned to the original owner, which is clearly stated on all paperwork and the outside of the package.

The most common issue we have with Canadian customs is duty. In these cases, we encourage customers to contact us just as quickly as they can because we can provide additional documentation to help get these fees waived. I have had very few cases where we were not able to help and most of the time it was due to the customer not wanting to wait any longer. While there is a slight risk of cost to get your knife back, just know that we are here to help, in whatever way we can, until you receive the knife back in your possession!

I know of several crks that were seized. I have personally had knives taken and recently someone had a gec taken. It's honestly getting bad. There is no way i would send it in just to get the scales sandblasted. I spoke with the cbsa on the phone and was told any one hand opening knife will be seized. I know this is incorrect but some agents choose to interpret it this way and you have zero recourse. Use caution, there are no guarantees and don't send anything you are not ready to lose.

Good thing CRK puts those pointy thumb studs on their knives!!! I challenge any CBSA agent with soft thumbs to one-hand open a CRK without practice.

Last year I had a 21 to CRK and back when the blade cracked at the thumbstud. I also had an umnumzaan blade tumbled when I put a particularly awful looking section of scratches on the blade that even a bonafide “user” like me could not stand the look of.

No issues in either case. Maybe I got lucky, I dunno. Both packages went through customs on the way back.

Im in Canada as well and I haven’t had a problem with CBSA sending and receiving knives from CRK in the past.

These days, I just spa them myself...re-blast, mods, whatever. :)

I'm from Canada and just sent mine to the factory for tuning. I heard CRK declares on the customs form "original owner sending in knife for warranty"--perhaps that evades customs.

I'll keep you updated.

That would be great man. Just don't wanna lose 500 bucks to CBSA

Good thing CRK puts those pointy thumb studs on their knives!!! I challenge any CBSA agent with soft thumbs to one-hand open a CRK without practice.

Last year I had a 21 to CRK and back when the blade cracked at the thumbstud. I also had an umnumzaan blade tumbled when I put a particularly awful looking section of scratches on the blade that even a bonafide “user” like me could not stand the look of.

No issues in either case. Maybe I got lucky, I dunno. Both packages went through customs on the way back.

Glad to hear it went through for you okay and was this recently?

I know of several crks that were seized. I have personally had knives taken and recently someone had a gec taken. It's honestly getting bad. There is no way i would send it in just to get the scales sandblasted. I spoke with the cbsa on the phone and was told any one hand opening knife will be seized. I know this is incorrect but some agents choose to interpret it this way and you have zero recourse. Use caution, there are no guarantees and don't send anything you are not ready to lose.

Even a GEC? damn, this is really getting out of hand, thanks I'll definitely think long and hard about this

Saw your Seb Classic on REK, that thing is killer, love the front flipper. Do you by chance do any reblasting for others?

Thanks! Turned out beautiful.

I do reblast for others...i’d be happy to discuss further.

Last edited:
Don't have much to contribute regarding coming back from CRK but for what it's worth I ordered a small 21 Insingo from Texas on the 14th of May and it cleared customs with no issues on the 24th. It has been sitting at a shipping depot in Mississauga since then though, so the "express" shipping I paid for has been anything but express, but at this point but given the current state of the world I'm just happy it cleared customs issue free.

Back