Chris Reeve Umnumzaan Prototype 1/20

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, as you may are may not know this has become my GRAIL KNIFE... I have been on the hunt for one of these knives for a while now and in fact have found one. But before I pull the trigger and sell one of my kidneys or worse yet another CRK to fund the purchase I would really like to know from those in the know more about these knives. So please if you have any answers to my question's below please help me out. Thanks in advance..
1. What was the original sale price at Blade when they were introduced?
2. I know that unless you own one of these Ugly Ducklings or are a Umnumzaan nut such as myself what is the current value of such a knife? And mind you I am well aware it is a relative question.. There is an ass for every seat as they say in the car biz. Unfortunately or Fortunately depending on your point of view I think I have found my seat!!:)
3. Please feel free to express your opinions and comments!! We are all friends here!! So help a fellow friend out.
As always all the best!!
Oh yea, for those of you who have not seen one here are some images of one that I sniped off the net.. :)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/105937865@N07/sets/72157636924605245/

Last edited:
I know nutting...

But I checked out those pics and it is minty!

Also that is very interesting the ceramic ball is huge on that thing!!

To my eye - and I prefer more gentleman's type knives - the Zaan is the best looking of all the tacticals, and i include Burch, Medford, Direware and the other hyper-steroidal blades. As to this specific one, I can't help on the value. But it is gorgeous.

Very nice, and in perfect condition! I have a question.....why is there a ceramic ball next to the lock bar? Mine doesn't have that, what purpose does it serve?

If you're buying it as an investment I'd have to say there are better ways to spend your $$.

I know a BF member who bought 1 of the 20 protos. and couldn't sell it a $500 loss. You couldn't use it....what's

the point.

A BF member who bought 1 of the prototype 25's tried to sell it here at a $250 loss and couldn't sell it.............

If you're buying it as an investment I'd have to say there are better ways to spend your $$.

I know a BF member who bought 1 of the 20 protos. and couldn't sell it a $500 loss. You couldn't use it....what's

the point.

A BF member who bought 1 of the prototype 25's tried to sell it here at a $250 loss and couldn't sell it.............

I suspect you're right on all of those points. OTOH, if you really want to have it in your accumulection ;), then the cost is irrelevant. If it doesn't pass that test, you are probably better off using the cash other ways.

Hey kwazyjuice, the photos are not of the actual knife (at least I don't think so) but one of its 19 seblings. As stated in my post I sniped the photos off the net. Unlike the Sebenza 25 Prototypes that are numbered 1-25/25 all of the Umnumzaan Prototypes are marked the same 1/20. As for the ceramic ball in one of the photos you will notice that it is located on the handle between the cutout for the lockbar and the lockbar itself..it is a second ceramic ball not the one located on the end of the lockbar which comes into contact with the blade. So the Prototypes have a pair of balls.. This feature was engineered out of the production models. Interesting don't you think?

I know nutting...

But I checked out those pics and it is minty!

Also that is very interesting the ceramic ball is huge on that thing!!

I agree with you Locutus D'Borg the Umnumzaan is my favoritate as well!!

To my eye - and I prefer more gentleman's type knives - the Zaan is the best looking of all the tacticals, and i include Burch, Medford, Direware and the other hyper-steroidal blades. As to this specific one, I can't help on the value. But it is gorgeous.

Very nice, and in perfect condition! I have a question.....why is there a ceramic ball next to the lock bar? Mine doesn't have that, what purpose does it serve?

Hey Ernie1980 only the Prototypes have the extra ball.. The feature was designed out of the production models. I am sure only Mr. Reeve an a very few others might know the reason for the extra ball. But what would the "BOSS" be if it didn't have a pair of balls..

the point.

Absolutely clockman it would definitely not be a wise "investment" but I don't look at any of the things I collect as investments.. more of "I want it" then anything else. I would compare it to buying the Ford F150 (Yea I'm a Ford Man) Lariat in my Garage instead of the XL. They will both do the same job, but hey I wanted the Lariat.. and of course as soon as you buy it you have lost 20% or more. I do appreciate the advise!! And believe me it is a good point!!

I suspect you're right on all of those points. OTOH, if you really want to have it in your accumulection ;), then the cost is irrelevant. If it doesn't pass that test, you are probably better off using the cash other ways.

Thanks JNewell!! I appreciate someone with my sick point of view!! :) And as I stated in the post that's what I am looking for information #1 and advice #2 good are bad it is all Greatly appreciated!! But ultimately the decision is mine to make.. is it the right decision.. as an investment... NO as a chance to own a very nice piece of CRK history maybe..
All the best!!

I think that may be a picture of my knife. It has a birthday of May 27, but in all actuality the other 19 may have been assembled the same day. You seem to have a lot of info on the Proto Umnumzaan, but I can fill in what I know. In spring of 2008, these were basically the first "handmade" prototypes that preceeded the production models. There were a few differences between these first models and the later production ones. The 2nd ceramic ball was added to stabilize the lockbar in the plane of the handle slab. The grooves that are milled into the handle are deeper than later models and extend into the lock tab. The swedge is also sharpened.

As far as pricing goes, I believe that all 20 were sold at the 2008 Blade show for $1750 ea.

Let me know if you have any other questions, but one of these will definitely be a great addition to a 'Zaan enthusiasts collection. Good luck.

Steve

Last edited:
Wow! Thanks for the great information DallasSTB!! So now I know where at least two of these beautiful works of art ended up! Very nice..well maybe three if Chris kept one of them? But probably not, after all he is not just a great knife maker but a very good businessman as well.
And thanks for your encouragement Steve!! I am definitely a Umnumzaan enthusiast!!:)
All the best!
Dave

I think that may be a picture of my knife. It has a birthday of May 27l, but actually the other 19 may have been assembled the same day. You seem to have a lot of info on the Proto Umnumzaan, but I can fill in what I know. In spring of 2008, these were basically the first "handmade" prototypes that preceeded the production models. There were a few differences between these first models and the later production ones. The 2nd ceramic ball was added to stabilize the lockbar in the plane of the handle slab. The grooves that are milled into the handle are deeper than later models and extend into the lock tab. The swedge is also sharpened.

As far as pricing goes, I believe that all 20 were sold at the 2008 Blade show for $1750 ea.

Let me know if you have any other questions, but one of these will definitely be a great addition to a 'Zaan enthusiasts collection. Good luck.

Steve

My good friend Dave, I hope you get your grail. I know Dave is NOT a flipper so an investment is not a valid point anymore, it's not just another Umnumzaan, it's a piece of CRK history, you know the one that started for all Umnumzaans. Best of luck getting it my friend.

Thanks my friend! I know you understand my obsession with the Umnumzaan! As always all the best Kaymon!!
My good friend Dave, I hope you get your grail. I know Dave is NOT a flipper so an investment is not a valid point anymore, it's not just another Umnumzaan, it's a piece of CRK history, you know the one that started for all Umnumzaans. Best of luck getting it my friend.

I thought i was halucinating at first. I really do like the deeper groves. I wish they kept that design feature.

I think that may be a picture of my knife. It has a birthday of May 27, but in all actuality the other 19 may have been assembled the same day. You seem to have a lot of info on the Proto Umnumzaan, but I can fill in what I know. In spring of 2008, these were basically the first "handmade" prototypes that preceeded the production models. There were a few differences between these first models and the later production ones. The 2nd ceramic ball was added to stabilize the lockbar in the plane of the handle slab. The grooves that are milled into the handle are deeper than later models and extend into the lock tab. The swedge is also sharpened.

Steve

They are definitely a thing of Beauty!! Alas it appears that I must continue my search elsewhere.. :(
Thanks' for all the advice and comments everyone!! It is truly a pleasure to be associated with so many Fantastic member's here on Blade Forum!!
All the best,
Dave

I thought i was halucinating at first. I really do like the deeper groves. I wish they kept that design feature.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back