Christmas Booty: What did ya get?

shappa said:
But we agreed! No gifts! :)

I almost fell into that one this year, but thankfully my father warned me..."you better get her somethin', if you believe that no gift excange crap it's gonna bite cha in the a$$" He was right. She got me a Bark River Golok!:D I also got $150 in gift certificates for Sportsmans Warehouse, four decent flanels, a new pair of lined work gloves and a new flashlight.

Overall, way more stuff than I needed or even remotely expected.

My six year old cousin got my name in our family Christmas pool. Somehow the little devil managed to get me a bottle of 12 yr. Macallan scotch whisky and a four pack of Jack Daniels cocktails! :eek: :thumbup: Sure wish I could have pulled off a run to the liquor store at his age. I also got a new Surefire combatlight and over five pounds of Strawberry Twizzlers. All in all it was a good Christmas. I enjoyed driving half an hour to get home rather than flying in this year. :) Sounds like all of you made out as well.

RR,

Are you on CandlePower forums? I know you're busy, but you might want to check 'em out.

J

Booty. Well, bounty anyway.

> My wife was happy with the gifts that I got her.

> My son and his wife will arrive tomorrow for "Christmas."

> I was sincerely pleased with what she got me: a Monty Python DVD, a Best of John Belushi DVD, and a leather-bound journal (with that wave embossed on the cover - DIJ will know which wave).

> I learned something. I was in a store on the 21st, and heard two well-dressed women talking. "Clothing you need is not a gift," one said. "Really, anything you really need is not a gift." Her companion nodded in agreement.

What I learned is that she would not have been happy at Christmas in my home when I was a kid. And we were truly happy.

I always thought Firesign Theatre (or is that 'side'?) and Monty Python were for a certain type of intellectual. I don't know if that was true in 1975 or not, but in 2005 I instinctively trust people who like Monty Python a lot more than people who love Barbara Streisand.
Gee, I'm not making much sense. This is where Bill would open another Heineken.

munk

I got a pair of sheepskin slippers, some cool books, and a truly monstrous paper shredder (the roommates and I have already dubbed it "Chewbacca"), so I'm quite looking forward to today's junk mail (I'm almost always "pre-approved" for some crappy credit card or other).

I also got a fantastic Hawaiian quilt cushion kit, so I see a lot of sewing (and swearing) in my immediate future... Brilliant! :D

I got season 3, episode 36-39 Monty Python DVD.
I forgot to mention it.
My absolute favorite episode. Spot the looney...

shappa said:
Well,
She got the massage and used up all the coupons..wink, wink.

She gets all my attention everyday we are together. I do all the cooking and the cleaning already.
Coffee is brewing while she's in the shower.
I ordered her something over the net and printed out the reciept. That will go in a nice card.

I might be able to squeek out of this one....

If you're in a relationship it will happen, how you handle it makes the difference.

But we agreed! No gifts! :)

But Shappa, you didn't tell us what the big heavy present was. What are you trying to pull. I mean we're glad she didn't give you hell and all but...

What was that thing. lol

My wife and I did the no exchange thing and finished off some big projects on the house. I got her some stuff anyway, but she actually stuck to the deal and got me a card. I am impressed with her. Plus her birthday is on the 20th and she's had a pro bowl year this year, so I splurged and got her a purse that could have been 2 or even three khuks!!!!!!! And I got my daughter a special little present from Daddy too. Great Christmas. Even woke up to some downed branches for to chop with my khuks!!!!!!

I cleaned up pretty good this year. My wife likes to over do buying gifts, but that's not a bad thing i guess:)
Lemme see:
I got a Leatherman Crunch that I have been debating on getting for a year or so. I really wanted one for work. I do a lot of pump and motor repair and small locking pliers are great for that. She was a sweetheart and got it engraved for me. "LA&F" on the side. It stands for "Love, Always and Forever". She used to sign her notes and emails with that in highschool. When people ask us how we could stay together so long and date for some many years we always tell them "LAFTER" Love Always and Forever and Take it Easy...Really. Anyway, it was my favorite present this year.
I've also got a few SAKs coming in the mail. 888knivesrus is running a little slow.
My father built us a fence for our dog as a Christmas present a couple of weeks ago. That was a GREAT gift.
I got the traditional clothes from my mother as well as a Dremel tool.
The in-laws loaded me up with some nice thick leather and all the leather tools i will need for to make some sheathes. I've already riveted together a tough little pouch case for my new Crunch. I'm making a new sheath for my seax today and probably a new leather sheath for an AK bowie with a spot for a sharpening steel and maybe a honing stone/utility pouch. My brother-in-law got me a polishing kit for my Drem (i knew i was getting the tool).
Anyway, it was a great Christmas. Hectic getting across town several times as well as the jog to Louisville, but it was worth it. We saw everyone, and enjoyed it very much.

Jake

Probably the neatest gift I got this year was a forwarded "Thank You, and Happy Holiday" card from ram, sent on by Steve Ferguson. Remarkable to be touched by one worlds away and with so much need.

A generous soul, ram is, and that Steve guy has some redeeming qualities, as well.

Here's most of the text:

"Dear Respected Sir/Madam,
Wish you as especial Merry Christmas.On this especial occassion,I pray to the God for your Long,healthy and happy life.May God bless you to overcome all the problems and obstacles...Best Regards..Your unpayable help Reciever...Future Nepali Dr.Ram.
(Dear steve,Please forward to all those Great People who helped you.)

I think Steve is still taking in contributions, or raffle chances for knives and khuks to benefit Ram, who needs about $2,000 to make it another semester.

Folks who have not yet participated might investigate Steve's tag-line.

The Spirit of Christmas, really.

We're not really supposed to talk about that but I'm not saying nuttin and it's Christmas time too....

What impresses about Ram is this: He never forgets to acknowledge help and is thankful. He always says thanks. Always.
I don't think that's just cultural form. I think the assistance is going to produce a Doctor with skills to help more people yet. Chain reaction Karma.

I used to tell my friends who were liberal and wanted higher taxes to help people, to give to the source. If a church or youth group needed chairs give them chairs. You can see it, hold it, experience it.

munk

Probably my favorite Christmas gift this year was a CD.

Kinky Friedman and the Texas Jewboys "They ain't making Jews like Jesus anymore" which is a good and funny album.

Not a Christmas gift but I have an Albanian SKS on the way that I'm gonna enjoy a lot!:thumbup:, and right before Christmas I took this big bowlful of change to the bank I had been emptying my pockets into for a year or so and used the $$ for a Laminated M44:D

aproy1101 said:
But Shappa, you didn't tell us what the big heavy present was. What are you trying to pull. I mean we're glad she didn't give you hell and all but...

What was that thing. lol

My wife and I did the no exchange thing and finished off some big projects on the house. I got her some stuff anyway, but she actually stuck to the deal and got me a card. I am impressed with her. Plus her birthday is on the 20th and she's had a pro bowl year this year, so I splurged and got her a purse that could have been 2 or even three khuks!!!!!!! And I got my daughter a special little present from Daddy too. Great Christmas. Even woke up to some downed branches for to chop with my khuks!!!!!!

Sorry, i forgot to tell ya.
It is a professional grade metal cabinet with removable sliding drawers with 96 compartments and filled with nuts,bolts,pins,o-rings! pretty cool...I'm always having to run downtown to the hardware store or a nut/bolt... or spend hours seaching my garage. :p

Like you there a few things around the house I wanted to work on. Guess we'll have to save up elsewhere for those.

Let's see...

Since I have most of the Swiss stuff out there, (besides the guns I don't have yet, not in the budget this year!) I got some Swedish surplus over boots. Wool and leather, fit over my regular shoes. handy for going to work in the snow, etc. Several pairs of Swedish Army wool socks, oh yeah, the Swiss wool pants didn't make it yet. Another pair of polypro long underwear.

Got a nice flannel shirt from mom, sweater, shirt and pants from my Sisters,nice imported Balsamic vinegar from my brother.

Got some music writing software for the whole family to play with.

ELO "Out of the Blue" CD still stuck somewhere between Toronto and here...

had a free CD coming from one of those "Clubs". Got sort of a best hits thing by ELO a few months back. haven't listened to them since the LP days of yore. If any of you know the lyrics to "Mr. Blue Sky", Imagine me holding my Little Tim, looking at him, and finding a deeper meaning in that song than I used to. This was right after he made it out of the hospital one of those times.I had to go upstairs with him, and bawl my eyes out before I could come back down with him for dinner... Decided I needed to get the whole OOTB album again.

The kids all got plenty of toys and stuff, as well as snow boots. We may have enough cash from the grandparents, uncles, aunts, etc, to get snow shoes for everybody.:D

If not, may try making them.:(

Alas, no guns or knives this year, but maybe will pick up one of those nice win 94 look alike BB guns for in-the-garage target practice.

Maybe my best present was watching 30 minutes of a video by Neal Peart, called "Anatomy of a drum Solo" with my 17 year old nephew, that my sister got for him. He has been playing the drums for a while, but keeps very much to himself.

he's had a rough road, Dad very long gone...

I was glad to get a bit of time with him that meant something other than the typical exchange of pleasantries.

:)

I had more fun buying than getting this year!

Tom

Electric Light Orchestra - Mr. Blue Sky

Sun is shinin' in the sky,
There ain't a cloud in sight
It's stopped rainin'
Everybody's in a play
And don't you know
It's a beautiful new day.

Runnin' down the avenue,
See how the sun shines brightly
In the city on the streets
Where once was pity,
Mr. Blue Sky is living here today.

CHORUS
Mr. Blue Sky, please tell us why,
You had to hide away
For so long where did we go wrong.(repeat)

Hey you with the pretty face,
Welcome to the human race
A celebration Mr. Blue Sky's
Up there waitin' and today
Is the day we've waited for

CHORUS:
You had to hide away
For so long where did we go wrong.

Hey there Mr. Blue
We're so pleased to be with you
Look around see what you do,
Everybody smiles at you.(repeat)

Mr. Blue you did it right,
But soon comes Mr. Night,
Creepin' over, now his
Hand is on your shoulder,
Never mind, I'll remember you this, I'll remember you this way.

Chorus:
You had to hide away
For so long where did we go wrong.

Hey there Mr. Blue
We're so pleased to be with you
Look around see what you do,
Everybody smiles at you.

:)

Tom

The love of my wife, our dogs and good friends. A warm place to sleep and a lot of toys.

And especially the HI Cantina and more good friends. What more could I ask for?

Is this a great world or what?

God bless you every one and have a safe, happy, prosperous New Year!

Back