CISO/SOG Recon Bowie Knife

CISO/SOG Recon Bowie History

Once upon a time, someone asked if I would scan this article on the history of the CISO/SOG Recon Bowie. I originally said, "No," because I did not have a scanner?That has now changed.

The article was written by Ben Baker, was published in Tactical Knives, Fall 1991.

The S1, SOG Bowie (the 6" model in this article)
<A HREF="http://www.sogknives.com/images/SOGimages/Bowie.jpg" TARGET=_blank>
Bowie_small.jpg
</A>
Here's a page showing our Bowie from A.G. Russells' site.

The SRB80, SOG Recon Bowie (the 7" model in this article)
<A HREF="http://www.sogknives.com/images/SOGimages/RECONBOW.jpg" TARGET=_blank>
RECONBOW_small.jpg
</A>

The Scuba/Demo (the 725" model in this article)
<A HREF="http://www.sogknives.com/2001images/SSD89.JPG" TARGET=_blank>
SSD89_small.JPG
</A>

Please be understand that these scans are copies of copies, but I'm confident most of you should gain most (or all) of what's there.

Page 1
Page 2
Page 3
Page 4
Page 5
Page 6

Let me know if there are any questions I can answer. Please remember, I'm not a major history buff and limited knowledge in these areas.

Happy reading!

[Edited to add a missing page. Page "3" was added and subsequent pages were numbered one higher.]

------------------
Ron Andersen
Consumer Services Manager
SOG Specialty Knives, Inc.

Email: ron@sogknives.com

[This message has been edited by Ron@SOG (edited 06-24-2001).]

Ron,

Is there any chance of SOG reproducing one of these knives? I realize that the Bowie and Recon Bowie are interpretations of these. I was thinking more along a copy or commemorative based on “the last one” on page 2.

Fred

------------------
Knife Nut in "flyover country"

Hi Fred,

The knife on page two is our S1 SOG Bowie. "The Last One" is a specially marked version presented to Ben Baker from the manufacturer. Our S1 SOG Bowie is a replica of the knife outlined on page 4 (first full paragraph). There are slight differences, but then, there were slight differences of the same model back in Vietnam. All of these are the 6" knife discussed.

I hope I answered your question. If not, let me know.

------------------
Ron Andersen

SOGLogo3.gif
The SOG Forum

Thanks Ron,

The three differences that I see are:
The finger groves are more pronounced in the originals.
The guard is more angular and pointed in the originals.
The clip point is deeper and the grind wider in the original.
I have never handled the original or yours so these observations are strictly from the pics. I prefer the look of your Bowie to the originals but think a special edition would be interesting. I have a number of your knives in my collection and have been waffling between the Recon and the standard Bowie. One of these days I will make a final decision and pick one up.

Fred

------------------
Knife Nut in "flyover country"

Hi Fred,

You are correct in the visual differences between the pictures in the article and on our models, except that in Vietnam, there were visual differences within the same model. So there were models with different shaped crossguards, and other parts. We tried to keep our models as close as possible, but did make some slight changes to improve the product. By way of example, we are using better steel (SK-5 rather than the original SK-3).

Hope this helps.
smile.gif

------------------
Ron Andersen

SOGLogo3.gif
The SOG Forum

[This message has been edited by Ron@SOG (edited 06-12-2001).]

Great article Ron, but it breaks my heart.
I used to have the 7" model described in the article. It was given to me by a very close friend who recieved it while in CCN.
I stored the knife, along with most of my belongings at a friends home when I was sent overseas and during my absense, there was a housefire that totally consumed the house. He never found the remains of that particular knife, although the ruins of much of the rest of my collection was found, (and later buried by me) there was no sign of that one. I'll never know now whether it was a true "CISO" knife or one of the knockoffs, but the lost of that knife, more than any of the others, still breaks my heart.

------------------
Tráceme no sin la razón, envoltura mi no sin honor
Usual Suspect
MOLON LABE!

Hi Ken,

Oh...I'm sorry. That would be a major loss. I see more replicas of the 6" model. Makes me wonder if that makes yours a greater chance to be authentic? I don't know.

Maybe someday we can get you one of ours. I've had a number of conversations with SOG vets who purchase a Bowie to have a similar knife to what they carried. I always feel good after a conversation like that.

------------------
Ron Andersen

SOGLogo3.gif
The SOG Forum

Back