Civivi Damascus performance

I know the composition is secret for industry reasons, but I've heard multiple things about how it is composed and nothing about how it performs. Civivi knives don't use super high end steel, so the Damascus won't be competing with the likes of S35VN or M390, but how does it compare to the Civivi D2 or 9Cr?

I have also heard that the Damascus is 9Cr core San Mai, but the visible patterns on the blades don't support that as the lamination line is almost always visible.

If it matters, the models I'm looking at getting are either the McKenna or Durus in Damascus, since the Damascus composition isn't public and the patterns seem to vary, there could be a different steel between the models.

They said it would perform like 440c.

So not great.
440C properly treated is a perfectly serviceable steel. It's a step above 9Cr and just below N690. Damasteel performs around that level. You don't get Damascus for performance, you get it for style.

I know the composition is secret for industry reasons, but I've heard multiple things about how it is composed and nothing about how it performs. Civivi knives don't use super high end steel, so the Damascus won't be competing with the likes of S35VN or M390, but how does it compare to the Civivi D2 or 9Cr?

I have also heard that the Damascus is 9Cr core San Mai, but the visible patterns on the blades don't support that as the lamination line is almost always visible.

If it matters, the models I'm looking at getting are either the McKenna or Durus in Damascus, since the Damascus composition isn't public and the patterns seem to vary, there could be a different steel between the models.

I have not heard of it being San Mai. I have heard the same as it being a 9CR based Damascus.

I just picked up a Damascus Praxis to check it out. I will make this my EDC for a while and put it to some good use and let you know how it fares. First impressions are very favorable. It has perfect detent, great ergos, and glassy smooth action.

View attachment 1153413 View attachment 1153414

I have had my Praxis for a couple weeks. I have carried it and used it every day. It is still razor sharp and does not need touched up yet.
One issue I have with my Statera is being a city mailman I am soaked with sweat from 8:30 am - 4:00 pm and it rusts easily. I have carried the Damascus Praxis with no rust issues...yet.

EB3639A8-DF30-4154-938D-C08D0E51D8E8.jpeg

I have been carrying and using the Praxis every day for the last month. It has been used fishing for cutting heavy mono off hooks and got soaked, taken hiking and got sweaty, used to break down all my cardboard boxes for recycling and cut up aluminum cans for grilling beer can chicken. This is my normal use, outside of the standard opening mail and packages and cutting strings. It was due for a sharpening today after a little more than a month of this type of use. I took it apart and cleaned it as well. There was no rust anywhere whatsoever. Putting a shaving sharp razor edge back on took only a couple minutes. Overall, I am very impressed. It doesn’t hold it’s edge as well as others I have, but still does extremely well. Well worth checking out.

Monofletch Monofletch glad you’re enjoying yours!

Finally managed to pick up a Civivi in Damascus. Missed out on the McKenna, found one in D2 for cheap, and didn't want to buy another when I eventually came across one in Damascus. The Durus has been released in Damascus, and I ordered it as soon as I saw it. I'll update how it does when I get it.

I can second that on the Civivi Praxis. Such great action for the price and the damascus looks very nice. The ergos and overall weight are what surprised me knocking even a CRK Sebenza 25 out the pocket. A little unsure how the thickness of the edge on the Praxis would do with moderate to heavy use as it is a slicer for sure. Would like to try the Plethora too someday.

Finally got a chance to use my Damascus Durus, and I have some feedback on the performance. Edge retention is adequate, better than 8Cr, maybe a little below 440C. What really got me about the performance was both how amazingly thin the edge of the Durus is despite the half height grind, how quickly the edge stropped back to shaving sharp, and how little tape residue stuck to the blade. Not the knife I would grab if I had to break down a ton of cardboard, but for normal use it's great. Handle was also very comfy for cutting.

A little late to the party but I wanted to jump in and thank all of you for posting your impressions and first hand experience with the various Civivi Damascus blades. I was a little reluctant about buying the Gent slip joint and the McKenna not knowing how the blades would perform, I watched a bunch of reviews but I take those with a grain of salt. Your reviews on the other hand, are the ones I look for so again, many thanks to all.

I just ordered 4 Civivi knives yesterday and a couple are on backorder. These will my first Civivi knives, I usually carry a Benchmade mini grip or a grizzly ridge. I’ve read a lot of reviews on these knives and the majority are very positive. Now I’m just waiting on that shipping notification.

Last edited:
I was digging around for some information on Civivi Damascus and found this thread. I ordered an Anthropos recently and got an email that it shipped today. I'm looking forward to trying a Civivi, an Isham design and their Damascus steel for the first time. Thanks to all for sharing.

I was digging around for some information on Civivi Damascus and found this thread. I ordered an Anthropos recently and got an email that it shipped today. I'm looking forward to trying a Civivi, an Isham design and their Damascus steel for the first time. Thanks to all for sharing.

You’ll like it. And if by some chance you don’t, there are plenty of folks here who would take it off your hands.

You’ll like it. And if by some chance you don’t, there are plenty of folks here who would take it off your hands.

I do like it. With its thin blade stock and high flat grind it is a razor. I don't abuse my folders so I expect it will remain that way a good while. The "carbon fiber" is a little slick, but the shape keeps it firmly in hand. A quick clean and lube, then a little practice with the unique flipper and all is good.

I do like it. With its thin blade stock and high flat grind it is a razor. I don't abuse my folders so I expect it will remain that way a good while. The "carbon fiber" is a little slick, but the shape keeps it firmly in hand. A quick clean and lube, then a little practice with the unique flipper and all is good.
Yeah the CF on my Statera is pretty slick, but the good ergos and choil help keep the knife in place in my hand. Unless you're looking for something dressy that won't break the bank, the CF on Civivi knives isn't something I'd use in a situation where I needed extra grip. Their G10 is perfectly fine, though. Grippy while not being overly aggressive.

Back