CK version - Viper Sowbelly

Chui

Gold Member
Many thanks to the service received from Mike knifeswapper knifeswapper and also to @joeradza who provided a stepping stone to lill o' England :thumbsup:

Very impressed with the quality of this knife, to say the very least - extraordinary fit n finish and darned good vfm.

Sure, there are some slipjoint purists who may prefer to stick with traditional peened pins and construction - which is great, we're all so lucky to have such diverse choice these days.

A few pics...

Many thanks to the service received from Mike knifeswapper knifeswapper and also to @joeradza who provided a stepping stone to lill o' England :thumbsup:

Very impressed with the quality of this knife, to say the very least - extraordinary fit n finish and darned good vfm.

Sure, there are some slipjoint purists who may prefer to stick with traditional peened pins and construction - which is great, we're all so lucky to have such diverse choice these days.

A few pics...

Very nice, Paul! I've been eyeballing these, I might have to scoop one up.

These do look really good.
I have the CK Viper Swayback, also in stag, that came out a bit before.
The fit/finish is superior, as is the walk n talk. Viper is a brand that's got my attention. (Also have the DAN2, very nice).

On my Swayback, the bolsters are just like yours Chui Chui a satin finish while the backspring is shiny and gleaming. It's a small detail, but if the bolsters were this same gleaming finish, I'd find it even better. I don't have my knife available right now, but I think the bolster and liner is a solid piece of titanium. Not sure if this can be polished to a gleaming finish, but I've got half a mind to disassemble what I can and polish those pieces so the whole thing is nicely matched.

Looks great I think I need to take one for a spin. Does it have half stops? On a scale 1-5 what's the pull?

These do look really good.
I have the CK Viper Swayback, also in stag, that came out a bit before.
The fit/finish is superior, as is the walk n talk. Viper is a brand that's got my attention. (Also have the DAN2, very nice).

On my Swayback, the bolsters are just like yours Chui Chui a satin finish while the backspring is shiny and gleaming. It's a small detail, but if the bolsters were this same gleaming finish, I'd find it even better. I don't have my knife available right now, but I think the bolster and liner is a solid piece of titanium. Not sure if this can be polished to a gleaming finish, but I've got half a mind to disassemble what I can and polish those pieces so the whole thing is nicely matched.

- yes, quite correct, the bolsters and liners are one piece. I get your point re having polished bolsters, they'd look very smart indeed.

My guess is, given they way they have made this folder - they've recreated the traditional Sowbelly pattern in a modern machined manner and procedure, possibly CNC-machining the part and running the finished components through a blaster to get that satin finish. The backspring, being a smaller and single component, that receives the polished treatment, and given it's down the centre, that gives a nice contrast to the satin that sits either side.

My further guess is, if they didn't produce them in this way, we'd pay more for them..!

Now that'd be cool.............please show us pics after you've polished 'em all up :thumbsup:

Looks great I think I need to take one for a spin. Does it have half stops? On a scale 1-5 what's the pull?

- half-stops, yes.

The pull on these is a bit stronger than lionSTEEL CK series, on a 1~10, these are about 6 (lionSTEELs about a 4).

My only gripe so far with the Vipers, as with some of their other models, the nail nick is too close to the body..........allow a very slightly deeper blade (or a stop pin/shoulder) and let the blade sit slightly higher with an easier nail nick leverage :)

Thanks for posting! What is the action like? I’m assuming it is riding on bronze washers? Does it have pretty positive feedback on opening and closing or is it mushy at all? What’s the thickness behind the edge like? It’s a real good looking knife!

Thanks for posting! What is the action like? I’m assuming it is riding on bronze washers? Does it have pretty positive feedback on opening and closing or is it mushy at all? What’s the thickness behind the edge like? It’s a real good looking knife!

- very precise action. Yes, looks like ph.br washers. Not mushy in the slightest.

If you're at all familiar with the lionSTEEL CK series, the blades and thickness are just the same - same thin precise ffg

- very precise action. Yes, looks like ph.br washers. Not mushy in the slightest.

If you're at all familiar with the lionSTEEL CK series, the blades and thickness are just the same - same thin precise ffg
Thank you. The stag is very attractive. I’m not a big fan of the wood and CF versions judging from the pictures. I think it is the double bolsters that throw me off. The flat profile and all that titanium takes away from the other material. But that’s just one man’s opinion. I really like the sunken joint, the elegant clip point, and the lines of the curving sow belly pattern.

I also own the swayback and agree with everything said. These Viper traditionals are terrific. Viper is definitely on my radar now.

agree with the nail nick placement BUT the swayback is pinchable:thumbsup:

My only problem with the Lionsteel and Viper knives I have is that I keep getting the two companies mixed up in my head :p

Both are making great knives.

That's a very tempting model for sure, a friend directed me to check it out.
G2

What are you guys getting for the thickness behind the edge on this one?
G2

Back