CKF Veksha "squirrel knife"

Officer's Match

Gold Member
I just yesterday received my CKF Veksha, a bolster lock folder that pays homage to a knife familiar to many of the youth in Russia (see pic)

Y8mrNk4l.jpg

Spec's are 8.46" overall length, 3.62" blade of hand rubbed M390, .137" thick in a classic looking clip point with a really nice belly, 4.48 ounce weight, titanium framelock (or essentially a bolsterlock, using the scale/inserts as an integrated overtravel stop), 3/4 length titanium backspacer, which combines with the frame to form an integrated lanyard hole, 2-row caged ceramic bearing pivot, reversible tip-up deep carry pocket clip.

Included in the nice embroidered zipper pouch with the knife is a complete set of backup hardware, everything but the blade, frame, scales and backspacer. As in, screws, pivot bushing + screws, pocketclip + bolt, lockbar steel insert w' ceramic detent, even the caged 2-row ceramic bearing sets. I find that to be outstanding!

In as much as I've only had it a day, I'll be posting some thoughts stream-of-consciousness style (forgive the rambling).

First, the quality, which is the now expected superlative. Materials, ditto. The thing that is more subtle and more "excellent" in my humble opinion, is the design. The "old/new", the heritage, the lines. Some of it I noticed in the pics - the way the plunge line meets the frame. The way the insert hides the lockbar (faux-lockback), the frame-backspacer integrated lanyard hole, the contoured 3D milled handle, the concentric rings that form the scale/insert shape, even the way the blade's tang has a finish that matches the frame, while the rest of the blade is brushed/hand finished. It appears evident to me that a tremendous amount of thought and effort went into the both the design and execution of this amazing knife.

Add to all the above, that this is a tremendous design as a user knife as well. It fits my hand, in a way that has my hand wondering where this has been since I became a knife enthusiast. It is essentially the same size as the Large Inkosi that has been dominating my pocket for most of a year. Yet the blade is even "slicier". It is a bit larger in person than the posted pictures had me anticipating, yet it isn't intimidating, I think in large part due to the "subtlety" of the nail nick (no flipper, thumb stud or "spydie hole" to say "one hand opening", even though it one-hand's for me just fine). The blade shape is just stunning in person, and looks to be tremendously functional as well. It has, in my opinion, just the right "heft" - certainly not heavy, but still solid feeling. The pocketclip had no problem handling my Wrangler Riggs jeans with the leather reinforced pocket, something that rules out a lot of my folders when I adorn those particular pants. Overall, I find it a truly unique yet functional design.

The Veksha has a level of quality (both design and build) that remind me of a Chris Reeve product - and to me that is extremely high praise. Bravo, I am blown away.

Pics to follow:

Last edited:
Nice write-up! I thought I missed these but was able to grab one of the batch CKF unexpectedly posted a few days ago. I enjoy the homage of the squirrel imagery but am really interested in getting custom inserts made for this one. Some ebony or ironwood would look amazing!

Nice write-up! I thought I missed these but was able to grab one of the batch CKF unexpectedly posted a few days ago. I enjoy the homage of the squirrel imagery but am really interested in getting custom inserts made for this one. Some ebony or ironwood would look amazing!
Already on it. Oh, and you know that adage about "great minds think alike"? Well, given what I know about my mind, that ain't good news for you partner. :D

Already on it. Oh, and you know that adage about "great minds think alike"? Well, given what I know about my mind, that ain't good news for you partner. :D

Haha yeah I like to think we're all great minds in this nutty place. Drop me a PM if you come up with something for the insert!
-Cheers

wow ! that's a good looking no nonsense knife . Looks solid and precise . perfect edc 'r
thanks for taking the time

Great write up...thank you! I've been checking these out for a little while now and I think it's time to pull the trigger on one of these beauties.

Great write up...thank you! I've been checking these out for a little while now and I think it's time to pull the trigger on one of these beauties.
Thanks. I do see it as a fairly unique combination of modern materials and build, with just enough "old" or classic style to be really attractive. And seeing it near this 3.5" XM18 makes me think Rick should do up a clip point XM non-flipper.

9NlLpyT.jpg

Did a little cooking with RIT dye today... wonder what the Russian word for "fox" is? Oh, and I'm more impressed than ever now that I had a peek under the scales.
vNE9mzJl.jpg

SI3pMtWl.jpg

MpcK12hl.jpg

zxTEUWAl.jpg

59PcO45l.jpg

Wow...that looks great with the new color and thanks for showing us what's "under the hood".

Nice work, Officer's Match Officer's Match ! Mine is still in limbo between Russia and the US....
Do you recall if the underside of the scales are smooth or are there milling marks that would need to be tooled on some replacement scales? Thank ya!

You are most welcome Mike - thank you and Anton for bringing such amazing designs to life. Oh, my wallet hates you by the way. :D

Back