Classic Leatherman Tools & Handle Looseness

Hello Everyone,

For the users of "classic" Leatherman® Tools (MiniTool, SideClip, PST 1 & 2, and SuperTool) , has any of you used your tool so much as to affect the tension on the joints where the plier head meets the handles? Do they still "hold-on" or click into place when you open the plier handles?

Since the older model tools don't have the luxury of a "tension spring" which is present in the more modern Leatherman® tools (except the ST200 I think), how long before friction wears out the "friction ramps" which hold the handles straight when you open the plier tool?

I've had my original LST for a few years now and use it primarily around the home & my shop. I notice that one of it's handles is more loose than the other especially when I fold or unfold the tool. Do you think this is just natural?

Any input or experiences on the matter is appreciated. TIA. =)

I bought my first PST on 1995 and I still have it, the tool is completly loose and when I say loose I means it opens by it self the pliers the tools, everthing is completly loose.
Is my first tool so I dont want it to be refurbished so I still using it around home for small jobs or in my office to take out staples, check the handles inside there is a number that tells you the month and year of made mine is 0295 (february 1995) I love that tool and I still have the same original sheath.

Hello Tango44,

Thanks for the info. My SuperTool is 0200 according to the inner handle stamp. It also is loose enough that the pliers open by themselves (the tool blades still have some friction in them, though). In fact, I open the pliers the way a balisong is flicked with one hand. =) I'm just a bit concerned that the looseness will eventually affect the functionality of the pliers somewhat.

Anyway, thanks for the feedback. Have a nice day. =)

quote " number that tells you the month and year of made mine is 0295 (february 1995) "

learn something new every day.
Thanks
justin case

josekym said:
For the users of "classic" Leatherman® Tools (MiniTool, SideClip, PST 1 & 2, and SuperTool) , has any of you used your tool so much as to affect the tension on the joints where the plier head meets the handles? Do they still "hold-on" or click into place when you open the plier handles?

yes, when closed the sideclip handel flopped open, anoying when hanging from my belt on its clip.
Sent it back to Leatherman & they kindly fixed it.

josekym said:
Since the older model tools don't have the luxury of a "tension spring" which is present in the more modern Leatherman® tools (except the ST200 I think), how long before friction wears out the "friction ramps" which hold the handles straight when you open the plier tool?

:) Leatherman fixed it too tight so I had to prise open the "friction ramps" to allow movement.
1. send it back to Leatherman for service.
2. or try tapping the friction ramps carefully to reduce friction.

:) Another problem they fixed was looseness in the plier head at the pivot.
Looks like they flatened the pivot out/spread it out a little.

justin case

Tango44 said:
check the handles inside there is a number that tells you the month and year of made mine is 0295 (february 1995) I love that tool and I still have the same original sheath.

Very cool to know, thanks! :)

I send my Super Tools back on a regular basis for repairs, and sometimes just for tension adjustment. The only cost is shipping to Leatherman, and the turn around is usually a week to 10 days. I've found that if I include a note detailing what I feel is wrong with the tool, and how I would like it to perform, it comes back just right. Probably the best warranty service that I've experienced.

TS

josekym said:
Hello Everyone,

I've had my original LST for a few years now and use it primarily around the home & my shop. I notice that one of it's handles is more loose than the other especially when I fold or unfold the tool. Do you think this is just natural?

Any input or experiences on the matter is appreciated. TIA. =)

@turnsouth,

Thanks for the info. I'm thinking of sending my tool back for adjustment if the handle looseness gets worse. Right now, the handles are still functional and workable. Once I have the necessary funds for shipping to the States, I'll have my tool sent-in for adjustment.

Thanks for the advice. Have a nice day! =)

Back