Cleaning Kitchen Cabinets

Get a bottle of Dawn Platinum Powerwash. It will still take some scrubbing, but it works pretty well.

The grease spots are as durable as the latex paint on the cabinets.

They need to be wiped down with denatured alcohol or orange oil and repainted.

You can try some denatured alcohol, going easy. Making sure it's not messing the paint up. But it'll be tricky.

You need a base (alkali) to remove the grease varnish. Ammonia works (with a bit of Dawn dish detergent) and for the really tough spots you can use lye (sodium hydroxide) or spray-on oven cleaner (also good for degreasing really nasty engines). Be careful with lye around paint -- I generally try to stick to ammonia for most things, but I once lifted the paint on a really greasy stove-top fan/light fixture with lye. You can get extra-strong ammonia from True Value hardware stores ... I think they call it "janitorial grade" ammonia.

I tell you two things that are guaranteed to work and are available on your side of the pond.
Sugar Soap and sweet orange pure essential oil - it`s gentle but thorough enough to completely degrease a mucky car engine so kitchen cupboards or an oven are a doddle for orange oil; it`s an organic solvent so not much scrubbing involved.
Lemon oil or pine oil are both just as effective too and double as a disinfectant, virucide and mould killer.
Get the steam distilled 100% pure oil - not the orange fragrance oil - that`s chemical garbage.
I know this because I`m a medical herbalist for 30 years and use essential oils everyday.

Last edited:
Reactions: kms
I have successfully used Magic Erasers for removal of moderate grease staining. Not heavy, but middle of the road staining.

We deal with this at work all the time.

We first run simple green. If that is taking too long we switch to oven cleaner.

Care and timing are critical with the easy off.

Back