Cleaning Leather??

WalterDavis

Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
While I was cutting out and fit checking a sheat tonight, I managed to get a bunch of frickin' grey, oily fingerprints on the leather. Anyone have any ideas on how I can clean the leather up before proceeding?

Thanks,

Walter

Walter, go to your local hardware store and pickup some "Wood Bleach" crystals, which is Oxalic Acid, mix up with water in a spray bottle and it will take it right off.This stuff should be a fixture on all leatherworkers workbenchs.Dave:)

Oxalic Acid solution. I hope that is spelled right. Any way the Oxalic Acid is available from Tandy/Leather Factory. It is, I think, actually a wood bleach but it does work fairly well to clean up leather.

Paul

This is going to sound odd but I remember being told that you can use a piece of white bread to clean up some smaller spots. You just rub the piece of bread into the stain and crumble it up. The bread acts as a sponge of sorts to attract the grime.

Your situation may need more and if Mr. Long recommends something that is what I'd use.

SDS

edited to add: After thinking about this some more the bread thing may have been for cleaning suede.

Last edited:
Thanks guys! I picked up the wood bleach and it worked great- 4 or 5 heaping spoonfuls in a large squirt bottle took it right off, then immediately rinsed the leather in water to make sure no acid remained.

Walter

Back