Cleaning question

Hi. Yesterday I ordered a Ka-Bar TDI. Until now I've EDC'd a Spyderco Pacific Salt, so I haven't really had to worry about maintenance.

I was just wondering what the cleaning procedures are for AUS 8A blades, and black powder-coated ones on top of that.

Thanks.

mate I've seen those and own a couple of coated aus 8 and I reckon good old soapy water is the go. I hose mine out at work, the coat stops rust and thats about it.

What about oiling or the like? Ka-Bar recommends Neets foot oil, but not sure where to get that or what's comparable.. Eric of On/Scene Tactical says he uses WD40.

I'd only oil it if you're gonna put it down for a prolonged period. keep the sheath cleaned, giving that a squirt of wd40 isn't going to hurt.

If its for daily carry and daily use I'd just wipe it off after use, clean it with water at the end of the day and squirt the wd40 over it and in the sheath when you put it down for a while. being coated means that you can be reasonably careless with it, but you still need to look after it. I wouldn't put it away dirty or anything.

I'd use HOT water (did I mention HOT! ?) and mild dish soap. Scrub with a soap-laden sponge. Rinse with HOT (did I mention HOT! ?) water and dry with a towel. Then, while the blade is still hot or warm, you could put your choice of oil or whatever protectant on it.

I liked StretchNM's advice about the soap laden sponge. As alot of people know, the green scrub pads (commonly called Scotch Brite) contain abrasives in them. I made the mistake of washing a car window (yes... the windshield) trying to get some gick off of it and ended out with a scratched winshield.

Ric

What about oiling or the like? Ka-Bar recommends Neets foot oil, but not sure where to get that or what's comparable.. Eric of On/Scene Tactical says he uses WD40.

Neetsfoot oil can be found wherever leather is sold or any good shoestore. I think WalMart might carry it. Try the shoe department where the waxes, shoestrings, etc are. I think WD40 is more available and will get more use.

I just use good old 3 in 1 oil.

Be warry of stuff like WD40 and natural oils as they attract dirt pretty good (though often the same residue makes it easy to wipe off).

I liked StretchNM's advice about the soap laden sponge. As alot of people know, the green scrub pads (commonly called Scotch Brite) contain abrasives in them. I made the mistake of washing a car window (yes... the windshield) trying to get some gick off of it and ended out with a scratched winshield.

Ric

It's not that they contain abrasives. The fibers are abrasive themselves.

Back