Cleaning Rust on D2

I have a benchmade osborne in D2 is the plain silver blade. I let it sit for a while and there are a few spots of rust on it. I have tried putting WD40 on it and rubbed it for a while but it wont come off anybody else have a problem like this? Is there something else to get it off?

What are you rubbing it with? In my personal experience 0000 steel wool and oil takes off most surface rust.

Tarnite (Ace Hardware mail order) is a very effective metal polish. It combines:
- Oxalic acid, which chemically digests oxides without attacking metal.
- A very mild polishing abrasive.

It works as well on knife blades as it does on silverware. Safe, easy, best all-around metal polish I've found.

Tarnite will completely remove/eat the actual rust inclusion, but you'll still see the etched outline left by the rust inclusion. Only polishing will completely remove that.

Hope this helps!

I was just using a paper towel the blade seems to have very fine lines in it maybe to keep that dull silver finish, kindof like sandblasting .steel wool wont take that off will it?

A word of caution: most steel wool is non-stainless, and small particles of it can embed in other metal, leading to rust spots in the future. This happens when using steel wool on stainless steels, I assume it could happen with D2 as well, which is considered "semi-stainless" with Cr content of 12% IIRC.

Dog of war I see what you are saying. In that case what would you recommend to remove the rust spots?

Steel wool will NOT imbed itself in stainless knife steels and cause rust. Simply wipe the steel wool particles off after using it.
Bill

Steel wool will NOT imbed itself in stainless knife steels and cause rust. Simply wipe the steel wool particles off after using it.
Bill

Exactly. It's part of the cold bluing process - I've NEVER had any issues with buffing a barrel (or heck, even a straight razor) the steel with 0000 steel wool with oil on the part. Period. Using it dry in the cold bluing between steps I've never had any problems either.

It doesn't fall apart. If you're really concerned, wipe it down with rubbing alcohol and give it a shot of brake cleaner when you're done (or - give you non-stainless steel blade a light coat of oil like it should have had on it from the get go).

Try Flitz from ACE or True Value Hardware with a soft cloth. It removed rust from a Queen City blade.

I live in a high humidity environment and I have a couple of 0-1 blades that will rust while you watch. I have invested in several rust inhibitors including Break-Free, WD-40, Birchwood-Casey Sheath and Sentry Tuf Cloth and Tuf Glide.

However, I now use Flitz metal polish on my blades.

I polish all my knives with it - which has several benefits:

it removes any rust that might be there;
it gives the blade a high polish finish which makes it harder for rust to start up;
It doesn't leave a residue which can evaporate;
it makes the knife look good!

Back