1. BladeForums has ZERO TOLERANCE for extremism or calls of violence. We request your assistance dealing with this as we do not want to see the site shut down due to violent threats. Please see this thread here in Tech Support: https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/bladeforums-has-a-zero-tolerance-policy-towards-threats-of-violence-extremism-be-warned.1769537/

Cleaning surface conditioning belts.

Discussion in 'Shop Talk - BladeSmith Questions and Answers' started by SS369, Oct 24, 2020.

1. SS369

SS369

Nov 29, 2015
    Any ideas on how to clean surface conditioning belts?
    The debris leaves smearing on steel and the belt is fairly new. Air blast doesn't remove the material and I'm apprehensive to use a piece of steel to rough it up.

Scott

2. Robert Erickson

Robert Erickson KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Feb 2, 2014
    I clean my scotchbrite belts by scrubbing them and then soaking them in hot soapy water over night

3. SS369

SS369

Nov 29, 2015
    Thanks Robert.
    I was hoping to be able to clean it somehow on the grinder, just didn't want to shred it and send it flying.

4. Stacy E. Apelt - Bladesmith

Stacy E. Apelt - Bladesmith ilmarinen - MODERATOR Moderator Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Aug 20, 2004
    I have used a wire brush on them.