Cleaning up!

Bill DeShivs

Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
Since the new air conditioning is working so well, I hired a friend to help me start cleaning up my shop. Everything was grey-now you can see colors! Green grinders, red grinders, silver and blue!
I have needed to do this for quite a while but just kept putting it off. Working one day a week on cleaning. In another couple of weeks it will be really nice.

Pics or it's still filthy;) I'm sweeping my lean-to and outdoor grinding area also tonight. ETA A/C in A/Z..... Bah!!

That's awesome Bill!

One think I wanna get is an industrial dust collection system like a donaldson torit or something, I think that would help greatly! Do you have any dust collection?

That's awesome Bill!

One think I wanna get is an industrial dust collection system like a donaldson torit or something, I think that would help greatly! Do you have any dust collection?
The Donaldson looks great, but a lot of $.

I been thinking I would get a 3 phase transport fan + VFD and a cyclone like the Dust Commander XL, and blow whatever commes out of the cyclone outside. Solid metal ducting of course

The Donaldson looks great, but a lot of $.

I been thinking I would get a 3 phase transport fan + VFD and a cyclone like the Dust Commander XL, and blow whatever commes out of the cyclone outside. Solid metal ducting of course
You can get 2-3hp used for under 1k so not too bad...

Yeah that works, but only if you DON'T have AC 😉

I have dust collection on my grinders. I don't use it when I'm just doing a few things during a repair, nor do I use it when grinding blades (not often.)
I have the box fan/filter combination, and I have a commercial "smoke eater" with prefilter mounted in the shop.
I have a 15" exhaust fan mounted through the wall. Never use it.
Of course, the air conditioners have filters. I clean them frequently.

You have to remember- I'm not usually doing the same thing most of you are doing. Most of my business is repair and restoration, not making knives. A little grinding here, a little polishing there, lots of hand filing and sanding.

Back