Cliff Knife

I'm new to the forum and this is my first post.

I just purchased a Cliff Knife from ROSArmsusa. It arrived yesterday. The photos on the website don't do this knife justice! While looking at the on-line catalog of knives, we are given the weights and measurements, but until you hold one of these knives in your hand, you really don't realize that this is a big knife!

I am very impressed with the fit and finish of the handle material (leather washers and micarta), however I think I might rough up the leather surface a bit for a more tactile grip. (It sucks having arthritis).

The polish of the steel is flawless and mirrorlike. It could easily be used as a reflecting surface for signalling purposes. I particularly like the balance of the knife, being a bit blade-heavy. I have average sized hands and this knife fills them! The handle is almost too big for my hands...almost.

The edge was about average out of the box but a touch-up with a diamond hone and a ceramic rod made the edge very sharp indeed.

I'm not too enthused with the sheath. It is adequate and holds the knife safely but I'm thinking that I might fabricate something out of kydex for use while hunting.

All in all, I am very impressed with the quality of this knife. I don't think that this will be my last Ros Arms knife. :thumbup::thumbup:

I like the Raccoon model -- the spine notches look weird, but they're good for either a thumb (first one) or an index finger (second), providing some comfortable grip options. I've seen pictures of people holding a Cliff -- you're right that it's hard to tell how big it really is without a hand in the picture to provide scale, and is a surprisingly big knife.

I have a Cliff and like the design - though admittedly I have used it little, just enough to decide I am willing to carry it when I want a fixed blade in that size.

The Cliff is one reason I look at ROSArms - designs that are different that the usual "ho-hum".

This is only knife to my knowledge which make it through several year in Chechnya and save it's owner life once.

It was really interesting to read review of kvd70 on Russian forum guns.ru who was on the edge of fight with international terrorists who flooded this part of Russia decade ago.

And of course reality was quite different. He especially mentioned that all his friends with huge tactical knifes let them go pretty fast. It is one thing to imagine yourself to smash enemy with sword like knives and another thing is to walk in the forest and mountains weeks chasing "spirits".

Lightweight Russian hunter - which Cliff is (6.5oz - same size Buck Solution - 11.21oz) is what you need for weeks long forest walk.

He sad it was very useful for regular camp work, only really use for knife in modern warfare. Especially useful is wide blade - you can scoop up a lot of canned beef (almost more then with spoon).

Only once two freedom fighters try to kidnap him on the local marketplace and once he has knife in his hand tasting beef jerky - he strike instinctively using it, and this saved his life. But otherwise it was used only as like it was hiking trip.

RosArms-Utes-010.jpg

Thanks, Vassili.

Back