Clip Point History

This reminds me of the silly explanation for a common vulgarity used probably world wide.. about English bowmen having their index finger being cut off by the enemy, so they could not pull their yew longbows.. so the bowmen would raise their remaining middle finger in defiance showing they could still "pluck yew".... :rolleyes: which, of course was bastardized over time, to become the commonly used vulgarity.

Still makes me laugh out loud.... :D
Yeah that's a good one....

Well, here's the OED:
AIF5f0i.jpg

Ten volumes are packed in there, and the magnifying glass is a necessity.
WRaRACa.jpg

I took pics of the entries for "clip", but there is some overlap, and possibly I missed some. Eyes ain't what they used to be. I couldn't find an entry for "clip point" or "clip-point" or "clip blade" or anything like that.
N6dE9mn.jpg

lFB5yAg.jpg

jxpRS6f.jpg

i1AzseC.jpg

XRATo1w.jpg

vV6GzrT.jpg

pg9Y1Px.jpg

PH2oSmQ.jpg

V9Ah02w.jpg

I am sure a clip blade means one which has been clipped or cut short, and is not a reference to clipper ships, however.

Well, last night I'm watching YouTube and a man from The Butterfield & Butterfield Auction House in San Francisco states otherwise. Greg Barton, the one-time Arms and Armor Consultant, says the clip point blade on Bowies of the early 1800s comes from the similar profile of the famed "clipper ships" of that era... What ??

Many of the supposed "experts" at auction houses are full of what comes from the back end of a male cow. Anything to romanticize an object for sale in order to drive up the price is a basic part of their vocabulary.

Many of the supposed "experts" at auction houses are full of what comes from the back end of a male cow. Anything to romanticize an object for sale in order to drive up the price is a basic part of their vocabulary.
Your spot on here. A clipper ship draws up a romantic vision of past history, even though it has nothing to do with a Clip Point Blade ..

Prester John Prester John
Thanks for the effort Vince :)
A lot of detailed reading and posting of pics, etc. Too bad it didn't yield anything. I wonder what to make of "clip-point's" absence? Does it mean we have been using slang all this time?

I see "clip-plate" referencing a part of an axle.... That's about the closest term.

Then I wondered if the term might actually be "clipped-point" but clipped was a very short entry.

Oh well, looks like a serious rabbit hole here o_O

At least we learned that guy on the video was talking :poop:

Yes in the age of mass communication downright misinformation can potentially take root, tenaciously so:rolleyes:

The fact that he's an alleged expert on Arms & Armour ought to be an alert, pocket knives with Clip blades hardly constitute arms or armour...nor do fixed blades with Clips either. Think daggers/swords for the main, Scimitars excluded (which certainly pre-date Clipper ships:D massively) But then, is he a marine expert too....;) Nobody really agrees why the word Clipper was used about a certain type of fast sailing ship. Clip meaning fast or clip suggesting time cut off journeys etc. Perhaps the blade should be re-named 'Windjammer' ?:)

Last edited:
Yes, there are some really terrible definitions out there. I recall reading somewhere that the word "tractor" was derived from "actor" as meaning "someone who performed well in his field" or some such rubbish. :confused:
Yes in the age of mass communication downright misinformation can potentially take root, tenaciously so:rolleyes:

The fact that he's an alleged expert on Arms & Armour ought to be an alert, pocket knives with Clip blades hardly constitute arms or armour...nor do fixed blades with Clips either. Think daggers/swords for the main, Scimitars excluded (which certainly free-date Clipper ships:D massively) But then, is he a marine expert too....;) Nobody really agrees why the word Clipper was used about a certain type of fast sailing ship. Clip meaning fast or clip suggesting time cut off journeys etc. Perhaps the blade should be re-named 'Windjammer' ?:)

Yes, some good (and funny) points guys.
I have an English degree, so much of this is tied to my fascination with word origins.
Since clip-point, clipped-point, etc. is not in the OED, I naturally start wondering why.
Does this mean the term is American?
Is it really essentially just slang we have taken to be a bona fide word or term?
I'm a curious knife nut :rolleyes:

What are your thoughts Jack Black Jack Black ?
Is it an American term?

Makes one wonder if "Lambsfoot" or "Bowie Knife" is in the OED.
Check that out for us Prester John Prester John
:)

Yes, some good (and funny) points guys.
I have an English degree, so much of this is tied to my fascination with word origins.
Since clip-point, clipped-point, etc. is not in the OED, I naturally start wondering why.
Is it really essentially just slang we have taken to be a bona fide word or term?

Is it an American term?

Makes one wonder if "Lambsfoot" or "Bowie Knife" is in the OED.
Check that out for us Prester John Prester John
I generally see it written as "clip point" or "clip blade"; i.e., not hyphenated. Many dictionaries do not define phrases, but stick to single words.

Edit: the OED does define some two-word terms.

PresterJohn, I wish I could give you two thumbs up just for owning a copy of the OED.

I would guess that the answer is at the bottom of this entry. The term 'clip' may indicate the blow delivered by a sharpened swedge on the back cut.
ptUszyH.jpg

Those are my two cents anyway.

PresterJohn, I wish I could give you two thumbs up just for owning a copy of the OED.

I would guess that the answer is at the bottom of this entry. The term 'clip' may indicate the blow delivered by a sharpened swedge on the back cut.
ptUszyH.jpg

You are probably right.

I love dictionaries. I have Noah Webster's 1828 dictionary, too (a facsimile). It is not exhaustive, but it was Webster's first. Of modern dictionaries I really like Webster's Seventh New Collegiate Dictionary. Good size, fairly exhaustive for a desk dictionary, and published before the P.C. police started taking control of everything.

Haha, named from the bow of Clipper ships, pure nonsense IMO.

I believe the origin of the word must be from the making of the blade like in "Clipping-Off" the point.
The origin of the clippoint itself is lost in time, but it seems to be thousands of years old.
Here's an example from an excavation at Birka, Sweden.

Looks like a Civil War Bowie, but only 70mm bladelenght and from the Viking Age.
414142.jpg

As found in the sheath and with remains of the handle still visible
18175.jpg

Regards
Mikael

Last edited:
T
I generally see it written as "clip point" or "clip blade"; i.e., not hyphenated. Many dictionaries do not define phrases, but stick to single words.

Edit: the OED does define some two-word terms.
Thanks for your interest and effort, Vince. I appreciate your plunge down this rabbit hole with me :)
Very neat to see "Bowie-knife." And interesting to see it as a hyphenated term, which we typically don't use in this case today.
So curious why "Lambsfoot" is absent. Very interesting.

Haha, named from the bow of Clipper ships, pure nonsens IMO.

I believe the origin of the word must be from the making of the blade like in "Clipping-Off" the point.
The origin of the clippoint itself is lost in time, but it seems to be thousands of years old.
Here's an example from an excavation at Birka, Sweden.

Looks like a Civil War Bowie, but only 70mm bladelenght and from the Viking Age.
View attachment 1259104

As found in the sheath and with remains of the handle still visible
View attachment 1259105

Regards
Mikael
Marvelous examples :thumbsup:

T

Thanks for your interest and effort, Vince. I appreciate your plunge down this rabbit hole with me :)
Very neat to see "Bowie-knife." And interesting to see it as a hyphenated term, which we typically don't use in this case today.
So curious why "Lambsfoot" is absent. Very interesting.
"Sheepfoot" is probably there. Will look later.

Edit: This is all I could find under "sheep's foot":
H45o4Nt.jpg

I guess the OED contributors were not knife people.

Last edited:
I wonder if it's possible to learn when the term clip point appeared, and if it was in English or borrowed from another language ?
Does anyone have an OED ? Oxford English Dictionary? This will give some clues to etymology.

There are many words in use here, which are specific to traditional knife collectors, and not in wider use, sometimes not even by cutlers. It would be interesting to know if the term 'slipjoint' is in the OED for example :rolleyes:

I spent about two years trying to find the name for a certain old blade form, which Charlie later used on his Ancient Barlow. I never really found a definitive answer, and the best I could find was 'Short Beak'. However, that blade, like many other blade forms, was also sometimes referred to simply as 'clipped'. The term 'clip point', I suspect, is much more recent. It may have been coined by a single manufacturer or cutler, or by a factor or marketing man, on either side of the Atlantic. Finding out when the term was first used, where, and by whom, would be a huge task, and you may never find a definitive answer. If you want to give it a shot, I'd suggest starting by looking at old cutlery catalogues, and books and articles published long ago, which look at the cutler's craft :thumbsup:

As far as I recall, and I've read the book I referred to earlier several times, while Simon Moore refers to clipped blades on a number of occasions, he does not explain the etymology of the phrase. I suspect that is because its meaning is simple and obvious, and if there were some romantic - and accurate - tale to attach, I dare say he'd recount it. He does discuss a number of other knife myths. As with many things, it seems that the primary reason that different features and designs appear, disappear, and reappear throughout history, much like platform shoes, frilled shirts, or flared trousers, is not function, but simple fashion. For example, prior to the French revolution, French cutlery design was the overwhelming influence among English cutlers. What changed things was not a decline in the skills of French cutlers, but conflict between Britain and France making French designs unfashionable.

Yes, there are ignorant people who make up silly stories like this, and then there are those who spread them for reasons of profit! o_O

Yes, there are some really terrible definitions out there. I recall reading somewhere that the word "tractor" was derived from "actor" as meaning "someone who performed well in his field" or some such rubbish. :confused:

This sort of nonsense is endless unfortunately, people spread them without really giving them much thought. They've always existed, but the internet has certainly made things worse. Unfortunately, many respected authors are not immune to repeating myths, and to passing off guesswork or wishful thinking as fact :rolleyes:

The fact that he's an alleged expert on Arms & Armour ought to be an alert, pocket knives with Clip blades hardly constitute arms or armour...nor do fixed blades with Clips either. Think daggers/swords for the main, Scimitars excluded (which certainly free-date Clipper ships:D massively) But then, is he a marine expert too....;) Nobody really agrees why the word Clipper was used about a certain type of fast sailing ship. Clip meaning fast or clip suggesting time cut off journeys etc. Perhaps the blade should be re-named 'Windjammer' ?:)

It can be very hard to shake off Will :thumbsup: Look at how frequently Wikipedia is cited as an authority. It is certainly not the worst source by any means, and we all go there, but anyone can contribute to Wikipedia or edit pages there, I've done it myself. Once something is written down, most people take it as absolute fact. We also live in an age when people expect fast and easy answers. Look at how frequently someone posts a vague description of Granddad's knife here, and expects to be told the exact year it was made, and by whom :rolleyes: Sometimes that's possible, but it's only very rarely possible with Sheffield knives, yet auction houses and antique dealers will tell you any amount of nonsense, and even some people who should know better, are swayed by the way they appear so confident in their assessment. Just like the expert here, a nice romantic, convenient story, which will probably still be doing the rounds decades from now, however unlikely it is in reality.

Is it an American term?

All these things are possibilities my friend, see my post above :)

ptUszyH.jpg

That example from the OED may be unintentionally misleading in terms of our discussion. The term 'clip', as in 'a clip round the ear', is still in common use here in England, but it refers to a light blow, against a person or object :thumbsup:

H45o4Nt.jpg

All these terms are in common use here on The Porch, but we're a small corner of the English-speaking world, and I think there is a requirement to show wider usage before words are accepted into the OED. Otherwise it'd be even bigger! :eek: I am always fascinated to see the relatively small number of words accepted for inclusion each year, and those which are eventually jettisoned :thumbsup:

I shall now head back to my couch ;) :thumbsup:

Last edited:

H45o4Nt.jpg

Yeah, looking more and more like OED authors are/were not knife people. What a bunch of exclusionists!
At least we can confirm the inclusion of two-word terms. There's a slew of "sheep's such-and-such" for example. Thus "clip point" could be an OED entry.

I could see this someday:
Lambsfoot, (a) a particular English pocket knife blade shape where the tip resembles the profile of a young sheep's hoof; (b) a style much protected and celebrated by a group of "guardians" on the American internet site known as bladeforums.

There are many words in use here, which are specific to traditional knife collectors, and not in wider use, sometimes not even by cutlers. It would be interesting to know if the term 'slipjoint' is in the OED for example :rolleyes:

As far as I recall, and I've read the book I referred to earlier several times, while Simon Moore refers to clipped blades on a number of occasions, he does not explain the etymology of the phrase. I suspect that is because its meaning is simple and obvious,

All these terms are in common use here on The Porch, but we're a small corner of the English-speaking world, and I think there is a requirement to show wider usage before words are accepted into the OED. Otherwise it'd be even bigger! :eek: I am always fascinated to see the relatively small number of words accepted for inclusion each year, and those which are eventually jettisoned :thumbsup:

Thank you Jack for your insights :thumbsup:
Yes, it looks like we may never know the source or time or place where "clip point" first appeared. Of course I was hoping there'd be a quick reference to the term for the sake of comparing against the so-called "expert" :poop: in the video.

I'm just glad to learn his account is bogus. I'm not really that interested in the origin of the term, but the time and place of it's appearance does intrigue me a little. I live in "New England" and am fascinated by the amount of English influence in things many feel are absolutely American in origin. Our cattle breeds like Angus, Durham and Jersey for example.
Anyway, since getting seriously into my knife hobby, I can't help but bring this thinking along at times.

The last paragraph of your above quoted post is very sensible. Although it feels like it's a very large part of my world, I guess The Porch is really a small corner of the English-speaking world!

Back