Clip Point Voyager or Counter Point 1

I'm looking for my next CS folder. It's hard because there are so many cool blades (and I will wait a few days to see what 2020 brings), but the front runners are the Voyager and and the CP1. They both have 4" blades, liner reinforced FRN handles, weigh the same, have tri-ad locks, cost the same, but the blades are very different.

The Voyager seems like it would be competent at everything: food prep, woodworking, utility cutting, and self defense. The Counter Point just plain looks badass and has a specialized defensive grind. How does it do with everyday tasks?

I'll probably have to go with the Voyager out of practicality, what do y'all think?

Last edited:
10ab.jpg
vs
29ac.jpg

The Voyager is the more practical blade shape . Very versatile blade . Full flat grind , lots of belly , will do most everything ! :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Counter Point is mostly a daggerish stabby SD knife . The handle is great but the blade is not ideal for EDC utility .

I had both, and I gave away the Counter Point to a nephew. The iconic Voyager is always going to be a great work knife, especially in the new AUS10. The Counter point is only a self defense knife IMO. I got bored with mine.

I’ve found the Counter Point to be a pretty decent cutter, though it doesn’t look it at first glance. Wouldn’t expect it to be as good as the Voyager though, just good enough for my use. Has a strong tip, which I like, and a more slender profile, which I also like. It’s earned a place in my edc bag.

I'm a huge fan of Voyager series, but nowadays stuck with Counter-point. Voyager have generally stronger construction, but despite lightened lock and slimmer profile, CP still is a strong knife and I can't imagine scenarios of breaking it by bare hands (with help of vise and additional lever on handle - maybe). Tip on clip-point Voyager slightly more delicate than on CP, and when folded Voyager is quite unwieldy because of handle curvature and stand out through pocket quite obvious. And last - Counter-point looks plain badass (and cuts decently).

If I were in a dark alley facing unknown foes I would want the Counter Point. If I were cutting rope and opening boxes and other utility type chores the Voyager would be my choice. However it is possible for both knives to do either of these tasks, each one is more suited than the other for specific work/duties.

I’ve had both and like them both. I will say that the Counterpoint was the easiest opening Triad-lock I have ever owned. I don’t know if I got a good example or if it has something to do with the design, but it was very flickable for a back-lock.

I have the XL versions of both knives and prefer the Voyager.

The Voyager is lighter, thinner and has better geometry.

Last edited:
I ve only had the Voyager clip point. It is a very good work knife with its flat grind, and a good edc. Light weight and strong. Good ergonomics. I m not an expert on knife self defense, but I think if one needs a better knife for self defense than the four inch Voyager, he or she is in real trouble.

I don’t have the 4 in. model, but I like my Voyager XL in AUS10a. Practical blade shape, solid lockup, and decent grippy scales. Cardboard and package binding don’t stand a chance. If the 4 in. model has similar quality, then I recommend the Voyager series. :)

Back