Clones of popular knives....

I know, there were many threads about so called "knock-offs" on BF and other forums. But I just found a clone of Kershaw Avalanche on Bladeauction (item 561779) and it not only has almost the same shape but as the seller says also the torsion bar assisted opening mechanism. I am wondering how that is possible?? I know it is difficult to patent a shape of knife but this should be something different, don´t you think?

David

------------------
DIVERTI NESCIO

---------------
My Photopoint pictures

Mikov Knives

The clones (knockoffs) blatantly violate patent laws. But since they're built offshore, the American Gov't can't stop them from being built.

------------------
Jason aka medusaoblongata
-----------------------
"To give is a need, to receive is mercy." - Thus Spoke Zarathustra
"Cutting his throat is only a momentary pleasure and is bound to get you talked about." - Lazarus Long
"Knowledge is not made for understanding; it is made for cutting." - Michel Foucault

They maybe can't stop them from being built, but if they wanted to, they could stop them being sold. They might not know it is happening. If they have not received a complaint they do not know there is a problem.
The best thing to do would be to inform Kershaw of this knife. They may already know, but maybe not. It would be up to them at that point if they wanted to contact the appropriate government agency.

Keith.

I hate knock-offs as they are mostly junk. I have seen them mostly sold at flea markets and cheap discount stores. I believe that anyone who appreciates good quality knives should stay away from such rubbish and discourage dealers from selling them. You can't stop them from being made, but you can help stop them from making any money off of them.

Roy

wink.gif
wink.gif

I recently saw the ugliest clone of Spyderco's Military, oh wait, it's their new style....ooops sorry....
tongue.gif

Well here in good old Taiwan
wink.gif
we get all sorts of knock offs. MT SOCOMs, the whole CRKT line, You name it and I'll find a knock off for it. Kinda sad when you think about it. Worst part is some uneducated ppl think I carry around $10 knives cause of all these knock offs.
frown.gif

I have also seen these at mostly flea markets. I disagree though that they are mostly junk. Many are well made and a real value for the money. While I agree that they probably violate patents - etc., there is a reason for them being sold. Cost is the big one. A quality knife should bring a fair price, but one should not be taken to the cleaners pricewise. I have made a point of visiting mall knife shops locally and was shocked at the pricing. Many of the knives in those shops were priced a minimum of 25% over what they would bring elsewhere - and some where 3-4 times the fair price - and the shop operators are PROUD of their pricing. I have never actually seen anyone purchase a knife in one of those shops but they must be selling or they would be closed. I prefer to buy my knives from dealers at gun or knife shows - the pricing is better and they know the deal. Many dealers way overcharge for knives. This is a big reason for the clones.

But, clones of nearly everything are everywhere. I doubt it will be stopped.

QUOTE]Originally posted by el cid:
I hate knock-offs as they are mostly junk. I have seen them mostly sold at flea markets and cheap discount stores. I believe that anyone who appreciates good quality knives should stay away from such rubbish and discourage dealers from selling them. You can't stop them from being made, but you can help stop them from making any money off of them.[/QUOTE]