CLOSED PRE-ORDER CPK Keffeler Competition Cutter

Thanks! That's a beauty! Do these not have logos?
Yes, very elegantly done at these areas.

47266024231_317b65f1f0_b_d.jpg

47266013391_6c5b78b4fb_k_d.jpg

32324191197_1476c74e8a_k_d.jpg

Nathan the Machinist Nathan the Machinist do you have any tips on how should we go about sharpening the CC?

Thanks!

Don

The V4E is abrasion resistant and very hard. I use fresh ceramic belts and flood coolant but a large diamond stone works too. I finish on Arkansas stones and a loaded strop.

If you got a racing edge it is 15DPS. The trainer is 18 DPS.

We duplicated the geometry that Dan Keffeler uses. Not everybody can run a knife that thin. You may need a more obtuse edge, though you won't sail through some of the cuts like the drinking straw as reliably. The blades are made to win races, and they do with regularity, but be aware these are not general purpose knives, they're giant straight razors and have no built in margin for error.

The V4E is abrasion resistant and very hard. I use fresh ceramic belts and flood coolant but a large diamond stone works too. I finish on Arkansas stones and a loaded strop.

If you got a racing edge it is 15DPS. The trainer is 18 DPS.

We duplicated the geometry that Dan Keffeler uses. Not everybody can run a knife that thin. You may need a more obtuse edge, though you won't sail through some of the cuts like the drinking straw as reliably. The blades are made to win races, and they do with regularity, but be aware these are not general purpose knives, they're giant straight razors and have no built in margin for error.
Thanks for the tips Nate!

So yeah, to answer, most mortals aren’t able to sharpen them. But with the help of the dragons scales and unicorn balls/scroty you should be able to put the edge back on that sucker if you’re able to take it off in the first place. Lol.

I have some successes with Spyderco Sharpmaker. It has a 15DPS setting which matches the racing edge perfectly. Light passes using just the weight of the blade will bring back the shine of the edge. You can also put your strop against it to strop the edge. The Sharpmaker is an useful tool if the edge is not too dull. You get a good edge back in under 10min.

My CPK KCC is on its way to me!!! :D

Can't wait to test my mettle with this thing and hopefully get registered for some chopping comps. (either this year or next).

I'm sorry for the delay. These have been very labor intensive and I'm the only one in the shop who can do them. I was able to finish out five this weekend, two to go.

Hey Nathan - no apologies needed, my friend! I pre-ordered this knowing full well that they will take some time to complete. I checked my original post date (4/18/18) and you should feel proud that you were able to get so many of these labor-intensive blades out in less than a year!!!

There are some other makers (that I won't name), but I've had blades on pre-order for almost 2 years, and there's still (at least) another 6 months to wait; and that is being generous with my assumption. These are blades that were already patterned/protoyped and finalized, with a healthy amount of interest and pre-orders already filling a 2 year backlog.

You developed a brand-new blade, tested and prototyped, fully milled and hand-finished and you still managed to get them done in a year. That is EXTREMELY impressive and a testament to how well you (and the Team) are able to realistically manage your workload(s). Not to mention all the other new designs, pre-orders, Fun Friday sales and continued pattern development that you are working on. PLUS, you still have a life and family to attend to and spend time with.

You just keep doing what you do best and Thank You again, Nathan! Cheers to you! :)

Hey Nathan - no apologies needed, my friend! I pre-ordered this knowing full well that they will take some time to complete. I checked my original post date (4/18/18) and you should feel proud that you were able to get so many of these labor-intensive blades out in less than a year!!!

There are some other makers (that I won't name), but I've had blades on pre-order for almost 2 years, and there's still (at least) another 6 months to wait; and that is being generous with my assumption. These are blades that were already patterned/protoyped and finalized, with a healthy amount of interest and pre-orders already filling a 2 year backlog.

You developed a brand-new blade, tested and prototyped, fully milled and hand-finished and you still managed to get them done in a year. That is EXTREMELY impressive and a testament to how well you (and the Team) are able to realistically manage your workload(s). Not to mention all the other new designs, pre-orders, Fun Friday sales and continued pattern development that you are working on. PLUS, you still have a life and family to attend to and spend time with.

You just keep doing what you do best and Thank You again, Nathan! Cheers to you! :)

:thumbsup::):thumbsup:

Very well said! 100% in agreement. Mike

I've posted this Blade Mag cover in a couple threads in the subforum so it can be found if sought after based on the subject material. I forgot to post an image here, right where it most definitely belongs.

Featuring the Competition Cutter of Jo Carothers on the cover:

xlarge.jpg

Just finished up our sheath for the Competition Cutter with a secondary retention strap.
Our sheath keeps the knife completely secure without the strap but a secondary retention was required so we made the strap with a snap.
Sheath weighs 4.6 ounces and is made from veg tanned drum dyed 6oz leather.

6CS9sPz.jpg

0jtETY3.jpg

oE6OjVg.jpg

gizgaFy.jpg

Last edited:
Back