Closing Endura like a compression lock

Was noticing how smooth the action on my endura has been getting now that's it's a little more broken in so for giggles tried to see if it could close like my PM2 and with a little more effort it can! I think it's long handle is what allows a good enough grip to be able to do this. Lock up is still solid too, pivot is not loose. Does anyone close their endura like this? Here's a video clip if you need better understanding:

Last edited:
Perhaps most famously Surfingringo Surfingringo recommended it as the closing method for his Siren design.

It makes more sense with that one IMO because the release point is further up towards the pivot.

^ that closing method works great on the Siren.. depress the lock and the blade falls freely.. easily the smoothest back-lock I own. I'm not especially comfortable with it on other back-locks though..

All my backlock Spydercos almost free fall shut once they are broken in. I feel more comfortable doing it on models with a choil though. Been bitten by a Delica a few times.

^ that closing method works great on the Siren.. depress the lock and the blade falls freely.. easily the smoothest back-lock I own. I'm not especially comfortable with it on other back-locks though..
Interesting, what makes its mechanism different than other back locks?

Interesting, what makes its mechanism different than other back locks?
The back lock mechanism on the Siren is mechanically the same as any Spyderco back lock, it's just especially smooth. Better tolerances/overall f&f from Golden would be my guess as to why.. that combined with the extremely grippy texture of the Siren's G10 make the closing method feel much more controlled & safe on the Siren vs. the average Seki back locks that I've handled, imo. That's not to say it can't or shouldn't be done, especially as a back lock breaks in/smooths out... you clearly have no issues with it in your OP video.. it's just much easier to do with the Siren imo, even right out of the box from the factory.

Just be careful don't do it with kids nearby. The knife could accidentally slip off of the hand due to the swing. Same advice for people who wave open an Emerson from pocket with people standing behind.

I'll stick with my method, index finger in the Spyderhole to control the blade, release the lock with my thumb, close the knife carefully.

I'll stick with my method, index finger in the Spyderhole to control the blade, release the lock with my thumb, close the knife carefully.
Yab, I don't know if you know this, but you can easily wave out a Police 4 from your sock with one hand while waving an Espada XL out of your waistband with the other. This method is even better if you have a Spydiechef clenched between your teeth (the handle, of course, safety first!) and you're stabbing down onto the cutting board with your head like a woodpecker. Going back to nature, you know?

I just thought I'd share the tip, just to maybe help you cut a little faster. Time is money...

Not really. I carry my P4 (and everything else where it's an option) tip down, so it doesn't wave open. The last time I carried a tip up knife in waistband, it waved open and assasinated my shirt. I was lucky it didn't do worse. I prefer not to rely on luck as my primary safety. That's why I prefer to keep the blade under positive control while closing rather than letting it swing free.

Getting cutting faster is for you kids. When you get to my age, you've learned to plan ahead. If you live that long, anyway.

Back