Coal Iron Works Mini Press

Does anyone have any experience with the Coal Iron Works 12 ton mini press? I’ve seen quite a bit about their 16 ton, but I noticed they have this new little guy that might be more reasonable for my hobby space and budget. I haven’t been able to find much info out there on it though. I’m looking for something small and quiet to fit into a 12x16 smithing shed I’m building in my very residential yard. I’m trying to also fit into that space an anvil, post vise, small wood stove for the cold Vermont winters, my graham forge, and maybe a coal forge. That means I’m trying to keep the footprint of my “big tool” as small as reasonable. For comparison the other option I’m exploring is a fly press. Looking to be able to do damascus in modest billet sizes, hammers, and small axes.

I have been using a 25 ton log splitter as a press and find it’s under powered. It’s fine for setting welds, but drawing out billets takes more heats than it should.

A press isn't something that you should skimp on. I have their 16 ton press and while it's a decent machine I wish I would have gotten the 50 ton from big blu. I work in a similar sized area as you.

I have the Coal Iron 25, and love it. Tried the 16, and it was underpowered for me in all honesty too. I can't imagine the 12 does that great. That said, if your short on space, power and or money, that 12 sure would beat having to pound it by hand.

No idea about forges (I'm not that good yet) but I saw a post you made in another thread started by a guy who was trying to build a variable speed 2 x 42 belt grinder. I believe you had made a similar variable speed disc sander and I had some questions about that build if you've got a minute. Tried to the message thing but couldn't get it to work.

Does anyone have any experience with the Coal Iron Works 12 ton mini press? I’ve seen quite a bit about their 16 ton, but I noticed they have this new little guy that might be more reasonable for my hobby space and budget. I haven’t been able to find much info out there on it though. I’m looking for something small and quiet to fit into a 12x16 smithing shed I’m building in my very residential yard. I’m trying to also fit into that space an anvil, post vise, small wood stove for the cold Vermont winters, my graham forge, and maybe a coal forge. That means I’m trying to keep the footprint of my “big tool” as small as reasonable. For comparison the other option I’m exploring is a fly press. Looking to be able to do damascus in modest billet sizes, hammers, and small axes.

I use the coaliron 12 ton press and love it.

Back