Coarse diamond belt?

Is this just a pipe dream or does anybody sell a belt with diamond abrasive in 24 to 80 grit range? Would like it in 1x42 and 2x72. I know it is weird to ask for diamond on a belt in coarse grits but I came across a piece of carbide flat stock 1.5 inches wide and 6 inches long and .125 thick I would like to turn to maybe turn into a knife. More novelty probably than useful. But it sounds like a fun challange to me.

I don t know about diamond belts , but CBN belts 2x42 in 40 grit size cost 500 euro and 2x42 , 100 grit cost 270 euro :(

If you really want to do this, use diamond wheels on an angle grinder. The knife will be extraordinarily fragile and won't take a very keen edge.

Tungstion carbide knife has been done. Was watching a fellow on Facebook do one. There are diamond belts but very expensive. Honestly you cheapest way would be to use a diamond wheel of a surface grinder and a sine plate. Have the profile cut on a wire edm. But it would never get really sharp.

I have 1" diamond belts, but they are in the finer grits. They are used for stone grinding and polishing. I don't recall seeing them coarser than 100 grit.

If doing it by hand, I would use a flat diamond lap. It could be mounted on your disc grinder. The speed needs to be much slower than a standard belt.
If using a surface grinder, use a coarse diamond wheel and lots of coolant flow.

Diamond grinding has to be done with coolant flow ( water is fine). If you don't, just make a donation to a charity and don't bother buy the diamond disc/wheel/belt.

Back