Coating

Hi all,

I'm new to this forum, though I've been 'eye-ing' SR for quite sometime. Still saving to get my first SR, which would be either Bandicoot or Battle Rat.

Anyway, there are two things that disturb my mind lately :

1. The tang : is it fully coated as well ? if SR claimed that the knife can still be used after the handles ceased/burned away, then the full-coated tang might come to work, to avoid unnecessary dirt/rust.
2. Desert tan : how is the strength compared to the original blank-crinkle coat ? Are they also crinkled-finish ?

Thanks.

p.s : any other 'nuts' from Indonesia ?

Hello Jaka,
Welcome to the Swamp :D:D

Glad you stopped by.

1) Yes the tangs are also fully coated. However unless you intentionally tore one of the handles off I don't think you'll ever know it. The Resiprene C isn't your everyday "rubber" handle, it is very tough stuff.

2) The Tan coating is not the normal crinkle coat, but rather a rougher finish (similar to a light sandpaper) In my experience and the testing that has been done it is a tougher coating than the black crinkle coat

I hope that helps and I hope you stick around
:D:D

Welcome to the Busse forum!!

I lived for a few years in a little town in central Siluwesi called Palu (tiny). Had a lot of fun there. I've also spent a bit of time in Jakarta and a little more in (I've completely forgotten the spelling) Unjung Pandang.

Eric's right on the money...although I'd have to personally verify the desert tan coating testing....*hint* :D

Eric,
Since this topic has come up, I'm wondering if there is any additional info on Rat coatings? I've tried a search but haven't found much with specifics. I'm also curious about the new D2, if coated, will it be the same crinkle-coat?

Briar,
What type of info are you looking for?

Did I say the D2 where going to be coated ;)

I'm just generally curious. I started looking at all the various types of coatings (Body-Cote, Gun-Kote, etc.) to see what I can learn. Information is knowledge.
And, no you did not say if the Rat D2 will be coated. So, will it be? I know, wait until Blade :( .

Man, I just read my last post and it appears I can't type ;)

We don't release a lot of info on our coating because it is proprietary to Busse/Swamp Rat. However we have found it to be incredibly durable.

And regarding the D2 Blades you are right....everyone will have to wait and see ;):D:D

Just looking at the D2 ad, the blade in it is coated . . .

Not saying that that means anything, o course. But that's just what I have inferred.

:confused: mine wasn't coated but it was a proto, i thought they were all going to be in the raw:confused:

Eric,
Just curious--is the desert coating teflon based? I don't think that'd be classified, as you've already said that the black one is teflon based. Of course, I might be wrong (about the info sensitivity). If I am wrong, you can just give me one of your teflon based responses that don't answer anything.:D :D
Warren

Silent treatment, eh? Eric, my teflon comment wasn't intended to hurt your feelings, ya' know...
;)

Back