Code 3 CTS-XHP Clip Point on the way.

Well I wanted a Code 4, saw a CTS-XHP blade, not the spear point I wanted, but since this steel is not being used any more I did the "Get it while one can" maneuver and got it. It will pair good with my Recon 1 for EDC stuff trading it out of the pocket.

So far my current Recon 1 locking system has been more than rock solid, it could of cleaned a few deer this year, but I didn't want to have to clean the guts out of the guts of the knife so to speak. :D

Well I wanted a Code 4, saw a CTS-XHP blade, not the spear point I wanted, but since this steel is not being used any more I did the "Get it while one can" maneuver and got it. It will pair good with my Recon 1 for EDC stuff trading it out of the pocket.

So far my current Recon 1 locking system has been more than rock solid, it could of cleaned a few deer this year, but I didn't want to have to clean the guts out of the guts of the knife so to speak. :D

I believe in the saying "get it while you can" when it relates to Cold Steel XHP. The steel is great. I think I have 4 of them now. Buy now or forever hold your peace.

Well I looked at my "Order" on KC and saw it said "In Stock 0" after I got no shipping notice or order status change on their web site. I called their CS and they said they would get the XHP knife and inspect the box so there will be no "Bait and Switch" to the S35VN like I been reading some notes on other sites people giving reviews about.

It Shipped today! Now going to find out!

Editucs: No need to make a new post as the status still is....

December 6, 2018, 8:42 pm
Shipment Received, Package Acceptance Pending
SANDSTON, VA 23150
Your shipment was received at 8:42 pm on December 6, 2018 in SANDSTON, VA 23150. The acceptance of your package is pending.

Last edited:
I did the same thing but with a Recon 1 tanto and a Mini Recon 1 tanto. Out of curiosity, where did you find your CTS-XHP blade?

I'm not going to tell you it was Knife Center! :p

Just got it! Well according to USPS site it arrived on monday so my bad there.

Its nice and slim and trim and the blade is razor sharp. Not a drop point the it will serve well enough. :D

KC's customer Service work to make sure I got the knife I ordered and it wasn't a S35NV "Bait and switch" which I will get one later on but the knife I got now will be a working blade where the metal this knife should be more serviceable.

Edicus: Just had to add the blade is a real decent size and the handle is also a decent size and I know the scales are smooth but I got it for a pocket carry so that to me is a win also.

Last edited:
OK...for EDC I find the Code 4 is more pocket useful than my Recon 1. Its slimmer not as grippy and shorter blade is easier to use. So it fit exactly what I would need for a all purpose pocket EDC blade. The clip point for this steel was what I didn't' want but it turned out to what I needed. So that was a hidden win as well. The Tri-Lock...GREAT!

My Recon 1...still great pocket in the woods knife or put in the big chopper blade pouch and out side coat pocket knife for winter!

I'm so glad I could find what I needed when I could get them. Now would of been kicking myself for not getting a Code 4 in the steel I wanted.

That's why I got both the Recon1 and Recon1 mini. I didn't know what size I'd like more and didn't want to pass up on the CTS-XHP steel. As much as I love the Recon 1 I have it for sale now, the Recon 1 is a little to big for me to EDC. I can't justify having two Recon 1s when I have an SRK for all of the outdoor stuff. I'm trying to sell it to fund my first automatic.

Did it again...saw one for sale same type, given the performance and the amount of use I get out of mine, figure the extra would come in handy. Even though the GLARING design flaw is when trying to use it bare handed at -40 below in a high wind does freeze your fingers! :D

Did it again...saw one for sale same type, given the performance and the amount of use I get out of mine, figure the extra would come in handy. Even though the GLARING design flaw is when trying to use it bare handed at -40 below in a high wind does freeze your fingers! :D
At 40 below in a high wind, you re lucky if your fingers are the only tips getting frozen.!!

OK just got it and its...S35VN...oh well I figured as usual the non up date web site lazies were at it again but still ordered as an excuse to get another Code 4, so I guess I can keep this "Mere" other steel. Besides I do need another Cod 4 and this clip point version seems drop pointish enough to work well and is a keeper in my book. And the Handle/Scales/WhereYouPutYourHandOnThingy is Blackitcal Tactical! :cool:

Maybe this won't have the same GLARING design flaw of one's bare hands freezing at -40 F in high winds. I don't think it would be operator's error, right? :D

OK...after wearing summer pants and sweating like a being that can sweat a lot. I did notice a difference between the steels. The CTS-XHP has some rust spots on it where the S35VN Don't.

So as a long term pocket carry that the Cod 4 was made to be, the S35VN seems to be a better pocket carry steel. The CTS-XHP just needed a bit of some gun cleaner to get unrust speckled though.

Just some long term observations.

Yes I know the title says Code 3 but seems I can't change it.

But remember the Code 4's GLARING FLAW! At -40 degrees F in a high wind, the Code 4 is hard to use do to its metal handle making your hand freeze faster! :eek:

OK...after wearing summer pants and sweating like a being that can sweat a lot. I did notice a difference between the steels. The CTS-XHP has some rust spots on it where the S35VN Don't.

So as a long term pocket carry that the Cod 4 was made to be, the S35VN seems to be a better pocket carry steel. The CTS-XHP just needed a bit of some gun cleaner to get unrust speckled though.

Just some long term observations.

Yes I know the title says Code 3 but seems I can't change it.

But remember the Code 4's GLARING FLAW! At -40 degrees F in a high wind, the Code 4 is hard to use do to its metal handle making your hand freeze faster! :eek:
:) I don't own any Code 4 ( or 3 , either :p) . The all metal handles just do not appeal . Especially smooth ones . :thumbsdown::thumbsdown:

Just too many other great CS folders available with better handles , so why suffer ? :confused:

For an easy pocket carry is what I use mine for and since its not a full all the time use tool it works great, I just use my other Recon 1 for winter coat carry or out of pocket carry. Plus its easier to use at -40 F Below.

For an easy pocket carry is what I use mine for and since its not a full all the time use tool it works great, I just use my other Recon 1 for winter coat carry or out of pocket carry. Plus its easier to use at -40 F Below.

Exactly! I rotate my EDC stock as to need and whim. I find myself finding more excuses to buy more knives than the opposite(admittedly not the best for finances though). Honestly I use a utility knife(throwaway the blade and scalpel sharp)and save my knives for the unexpected. Cannot sharpen my own knives anymore due to arthritis so that plays into it. So cheap too, I have 3 of the suckers now.

Back