Coffee

How’s it compare to Ethiopian?
I'd say it's less earthy and less fruity, but brighter and more floral. A cleaner tasting cup in general.

Some of that is in the difference in processing; Ethiopian coffee tends to be mostly dry processed whereas Kenyan coffee tends to be wet processed. Ethiopia hits the low notes well, while Kenya hits the highs.

Actually, I haven't ordered coffee in months, just been working through my green beans. Not a bad thing, there's some awesome stuff in there! However, my local place sent me an email coupon, since I hadn't been by for awhile, so I picked up this Kenya yesterday. It's good. :)

View attachment 1609932

Good news / bad news. Glad they replaced it, but too bad it failed.

There are a LOT of new machines on the scene, but it's hard to beat a 'Vorm. They are really well made, but as I found out, if anything goes wrong, the ONLY thing you can do is send it in, to The Netherlands. I managed to fix the borosilicate glass tube on my own, but finding the correct sized metric tube was not terribly easy. Nobody to blame but myself, I tore it apart to clean it well and te tube rolled off the table... 😬

They are essentially as close as you can get to an automated pour over IMO. I like to fill it up and "pause" it, and let the coffee steep (like a press) for a couple extra minutes. It's a bit more work, you have to babysit it so it doen't overflow, and the basket only holds about half what the pot do (so you have to do this twice in a single pot), but it makes a killer good cup!!! :thumbsup: I think the extra work is worth the resulting cup.
I have the model with the switch to stop flow. I usually put that on and stir the grounds to infuse and bloom and let it rip. My brother has a vorm going on 12 years strong so far, just said to make sure I dezcal it every couple months. On the coffee side, I have been liking kick ass from kicking horse.

I have the model with the switch to stop flow. I usually put that on and stir the grounds to infuse and bloom and let it rip. My brother has a vorm going on 12 years strong so far, just said to make sure I dezcal it every couple months. On the coffee side, I have been liking kick ass from kicking horse.
I had that same coffee on a recommendation from Monofletch Monofletch
Good stuff
We've been getting Black Rifle Freedom Fuel
I’ve had a few from Black Rifle. The Just Black is one that stood out to me

I drink it medium strong and black, no sugar. I usually mix Peet's Major Dickinson's blend with Seattle's Best 6th Ave. Drip machine, although I'd like to get a percolator for weekends when I have time to eff with it.

Do you think it is worth buying a coffee machine for this?
Welcome. I only think it's worth it if you need the convenience of one. There are some models out there that will do a decent job if you are willing to spend the money for them. I think that's one of the big drivers behind the popularity of manual coffee brewing methods. You get control over all the details and they are relatively cheap, but the tradeoff is that they take longer.

Hey guys. Glad to be here with you. I thought for a long time about where to write the first message. In general, almost for the first time, I registered on the forum. My husband is fond of collecting knives, and he got me into it.

But why did I write to this particular thread? Because I'm a big coffee lover :)
We love to travel with my husband and have already visited 19 countries and in each, I try different varieties of coffee. For a long time, I used a French press, then I bought myself a Chemex and I really liked brewing coffee in this way. But recently my friend bought a coffee machine and recommends buying it for me. Coffee brewing in a Chemex takes much longer than in a coffee machine, but it tastes better for me.

P.S. What else do I need to do on this forum in the beginning? :)
We are not picky in This thread . It’s just coffee andI knives. We are all friends here. We welcome everyone.
I have several brewing methods to pick from. I use my machine a lot but I think coffee taste better from my Cleaver Dripper pour over. I use the machine because it’s thoughtless.

We do a big coffee/knife swap every year. Stick around!

Last edited:
Hey guys. Glad to be here with you. I thought for a long time about where to write the first message. In general, almost for the first time, I registered on the forum. My husband is fond of collecting knives, and he got me into it.

But why did I write to this particular thread? Because I'm a big coffee lover :)
We love to travel with my husband and have already visited 19 countries and in each, I try different varieties of coffee. For a long time, I used a French press, then I bought myself a Chemex and I really liked brewing coffee in this way. But recently my friend bought a coffee machine and recommends buying it for me. Coffee brewing in a Chemex takes much longer than in a coffee machine, but it tastes better for me.

Welcome! There is nothing which you have to do on this forum. However, posting in the New Member Thread in this subforum is a good thing to do for folks to get to know you.

Chemex is one of the few coffee making devices which I've never owned, but I had a friend several years ago who had one, and he made coffee for me with it quite a few times, so I'm familiar with it. He made a very good cup with it, but it seemed like a fair amount of work, took some time to brew, and there seemed to be some time and effort involved in getting the process down. Not sure what kind of coffee machine your friend had in mind, as there are several different types of machines. Personally I have settled on an automatic drip machine, and a Technivorm Moccamaster in particular. It does everything I want a coffee machine to do.

Stick around and good luck in your coffee journey.

My daughter is an (over-paid :p) intern computer scientist at Microsoft, and they treat their interns real well, including sending them little gifts all the time. They sent her a nice bag of coffee beans, and she doesn't drink coffee (a TEA drinker! :thumbsdown:), so she gave this bag to me. I never heard of them before, but being that they're based in Seattle, and I figure that the folks at Microsoft should know good coffee, I gave them a try. I have only brewed one pot so far, but it was pretty darn good. If you come across them, give 'em a try.

Caffe Vita.jpg

I had a $20 special Mr Coffee auto maker that took forever. Since hanging around here I’ve got a Clever Dripper, V60, and a Kalita Wave ha. It really is wild how I can take the same coffee and put it in three different brewers and have the coffee taste completely different. Certain coffees do better in certain brewers. I’m no expert by any means, just like coffee.

I wouldn’t mind getting a decent auto coffee maker one day but I enjoy the manual brewing process, so I’m in no rush. Plus I’m the only regular coffee drinker in my house. The Chemex is one I’ve never owned either.

Welcome. I only think it's worth it if you need the convenience of one. There are some models out there that will do a decent job if you are willing to spend the money for them. I think that's one of the big drivers behind the popularity of manual coffee brewing methods. You get control over all the details and they are relatively cheap, but the tradeoff is that they take longer.
Yes, that's exactly what I'm talking about. I love making coffee, it's even a meditative action. But sometimes there isn't enough time for this, especially in the morning when you are going to work.

Welcome! There is nothing which you have to do on this forum. However, posting in the New Member Thread in this subforum is a good thing to do for folks to get to know you.

Chemex is one of the few coffee making devices which I've never owned, but I had a friend several years ago who had one, and he made coffee for me with it quite a few times, so I'm familiar with it. He made a very good cup with it, but it seemed like a fair amount of work, took some time to brew, and there seemed to be some time and effort involved in getting the process down. Not sure what kind of coffee machine your friend had in mind, as there are several different types of machines. Personally I have settled on an automatic drip machine, and a Technivorm Moccamaster in particular. It does everything I want a coffee machine to do.
She was talking about an automatic coffee machine. I was never interested in what they are and only recently began to study all this. And I realized that the automatic one is just right for me. Because if we talk about semi-automatic, then there are either expensive capsules, or you also need to spend time making coffee. And if I buy an automatic coffee maker I will spend more money in one time, but then I will save time. But after starting to read all these articles, now I understand that I want both an automatic coffee machine and a semi-automatic one :)
Stick around and good luck in your coffee journey.
Thanks a lot 🤗

It really is wild how I can take the same coffee and put it in three different brewers and have the coffee taste completely different.
This is why I love the manual way of making coffee. And that's why I want to buy a semi-automatic coffee machine. But I have doubts about the automatic coffee machine because I am also the only one in the family who drinks coffee often.

Back