1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Week 7 drawing for the BladeForums.com 20th Anniversary Year of Giveaways will be livestreamed @ 5pm Eastern, Sunday Feb 17!
    Tune in to our YouTube Channel, http://www.youtube.com/TheRealBladeforums, we'll be drawing winners for BladeForums.com merchandise & the grand prize:
    a Kizer Laconico Gemini, along with BladeForums branded gear!

Additional prize(s) will be awarded to people in the livestream chat, so watch for your chance to win bonus prize(s)

Cohutta survival test

Discussion in 'Fiddleback Forge Knives' started by Bmurray, Feb 9, 2019.

1. Bmurray

Bmurray Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 9, 2012
    Just wanted to see how this knife by @Cohutta would hold up to an abusive blade survival test. Since Russell apprenticed under Andy, I was worried about tip failure.

Do not do this unless you don't care about your knives
    I stabbed it in the material, twisted and was prying sideways. To my complete surprise it held up without breakage. Also it was able to shave hair after a super abrasive slicing test. Decent job for a Chinese made knife.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 9, 2019
  2. NOLA

NOLA Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 9, 2016
    I opened this expecting a thread about Russell camping out in the "cold" Georgia weather.

Lady1911, Bmurray and Oyster like this.
  3. Oyster

Oyster Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 2, 2011
    Thanks, Bob, for your service to this community. :thumbsup::thumbsup:
    It’s good to know I can carry my Cohutta’s with confidence and in the knowledge that they will hold up to most anything - without subjecting my own to this kind of torture test. :D

Lady1911, Bmurray and Nbrackett like this.
  4. Nbrackett

Nbrackett Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 19, 2015
    I used one of mine to slice a banana once. After a bit of sharpening it was as good as new.

5. Wurrwulf

Wurrwulf Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 3, 2015
    I thought you were going to show how us how well it goes through your finger. ;):p

6. Pinnacle64

Pinnacle64 Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 25, 2013
    LOL severe testing there should have a more legal based disclaimer attached in small print.

I use my fixed blades almost daily outdoors at work, however I see no reason to abuse them beyond doing the task I need done. Then I clean them, oil them and put away so they will be in great condition for the next round of real world use.

I’ve watched people try to destroy gear online YouTube that’s just not my cup of tea. In my training we were taught not to risk damaging your survival gear if it’s questionable and you don’t have a replacement don’t do it.

blue333, Lady1911, Nbrackett and 2 others like this.
  7. varga49

varga49 Gold Member Gold Member

May 1, 2016
    “I’m Blinded by Science” here !!! Well Food Science anyways;) now send that thing in for a spa treatment.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2019
    blue333, Bmurray and Nbrackett like this.