Col. Coon

Saw a Barlow from a company called Col. Coon. Any thoughts or does anyone know about them?

How can you tell if one is the original and bench made to when they were sold? Thanks for the help!:thumbup:

This is an original. Notice the tang stamping and shield. The new ones have a tang stamp in different lettering. The new ones have a tang stamp in script instead of type. I believe they did duplicate the shield on some of the new ones so don't get fooled by that. Sort of a crummy photo but you should be able to see what you need to.
Greg
standard.jpg

Now is this Folksy or what. Right down to the Colonel's patch work britches.
Greg

orig.jpg

I had a friend that would pick out stag for them to set aside to put on his orders.

Mike Latham
CollectorKnives.Net

Attachments

• CLJVSTCO1.JPG
    CLJVSTCO1.JPG
    35.5 KB · Views: 37
  • CLJVSTCO2.JPG
    CLJVSTCO2.JPG
    35.5 KB · Views: 30
  • CLJVSTST.JPG
    CLJVSTST.JPG
    36 KB · Views: 38
Last edited:
Greg,

These pictures are nothing less than perfect. Great subject knife here too. But your photographs have evolved onto and into a new plateau!.

Wonderful detail here! :thumbup:

Anthony

See photos

Attachments

• Barlow Bone.jpg
    Barlow Bone.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 21
  • Barlow Bonea.jpg
    Barlow Bonea.jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 14
  • Barlow Stag.jpg
    Barlow Stag.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 25
  • Barlow Staga.jpg
    Barlow Staga.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 22
  • Barlow Pearl.jpg
    Barlow Pearl.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 18
See photos

Attachments

• Barlow Pearla.jpg
    Barlow Pearla.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 12
  • Barlow Pearlb.jpg
    Barlow Pearlb.jpg
    16.6 KB · Views: 14
  • Barlow Pearlc.jpg
    Barlow Pearlc.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 13
I just picked up one of the new Barlows with the Painted Pony handles. Fit and finish is pretty good. The blades, bolsters, and handles are nicely polished. I really like the Painted Pony handles - very striking. There is no gap around the shield. The etch is very well done. The springs are firm, but are a step or two shy of the threaten-to-tear-off-your-fingernails variety. There is a very definite half stop. The spring does not sit flush in the half stop position, but it is only up many 1/16". Both blades are slightly below flush with the spring in the full open position, but there is no visible gap between the blade and spring. The handles are flat on both sides and not rounded at all on the edges. Handle thickness is a hair over 1/2". Length closed is 3 3/8". Both the clip and spear blades are a hair under 2 11/16" long measured tip-to-bolster. The spear blade is pretty close to centered when close. The clip blade sits most of the way to the inside. I really like the way it feels in my hand (slightly on the smaller side of a size large glove) and will probably carry it a fair bit, mostly because I like the size and blade combination.

The mild negatives: _very_ slight gaps between the backsprings and the liners on both sides on the end away from the bolster. There are no gaps between the handles and the bolster, but there is a slight bevel where the bolster meets the handle on the edges, but not in the middle. Ummm, what else. Oh, yeah - very carefully packaged.

The big bitch: Literally dull as a butter knife. There is a bit of an edge bevel on each side of the blades, but not an overly enthusiastic one.

Sorry about the lack of photos - I only have a cell phone camera and I don't think it would do the knife justice. The Painted Pony folks did a superb job with the handles and I don't want to insult them with my horrific photographic skills.

Last edited:
Those are beautys Mawd. I haven't seen a pearl Col. Coon is quite some time.
Greg

Back