Col Moschin limited double edge edition

I received the Col Moschin [ pronounced kole moskeen ]today. It was waiting for me when I got home from the grind.

It came in the same type black box as the MPC. I now have #100 of the 150 into the US. The knife came with the blade completely covered in a light grease inside the sheath.

The sheath has a good carry system being a hard phenolic resin of some form [ thats what it looks like to me anyway ]with a double button retention strap around the handle and two leg tiedown straps made of ballistic nylon. The belt loop is large enough to accept the military w-2 cartrdge belts, police sam browns, etc.

Initial impresions:

The carry system is designed for hard use. The leg tie downs and belt loop are what I can only describe as double width ballistic nylon which felt comfortable when strapped to the leg. These are no "string" type nylon straps by any means.

The extra width should not only add strength to the system [why I am not surprised ER did this ], but also allow for less binding and restriction of blood flow when active as they don't appear as they will roll easily under hard use in a constricting manner like most I've seen available from other makers.

The sheath, when set up on the belt and tied down to the leg, will stay put and not roam around. This should aid in deployment of the blade from the sheath as one will be able to gain muscle memory as to where the handle is at all times.

Secondly, the double snapped retention strap is unlikely to release both snaps simultaneously during rigorous activities where the knife may be afforded a chance to escape and be lost.

The knife is lighter in weight than I had imagined based on the weight of the MPC I recieved a few weeks ago.

In a few quick manual dexterity drills in the kitchen [ I couldn't wait to take it up to my office ], the handle material is very conducive to retention and allows for a very positive grip. The "sorta" flat sides of the handle allowed me to move the knife effortlessly from saber to reverse and from one hand to the other in "passoff" drills.

In low line to high line redirects from saber to reverse, I found the handle to be about right for my hands and had no diffculty in maintaining complete control of the blade as it was redirected. This also has to have something to do with the handle having a "feel" to it that begs you to have to let go of the knife for it to slip in your hand or be dropped accidently.

On a knife designed with combat in mind, these are all cherished features and can only enhance the civilians hands maintaining control of the blade.

The overall appearance of the knife is a matte subdued look, like gun metal grey almost but in a satin finish which won't reflect light off it well [ thats a good thing if you are being hunted or hunting others ].

The blade made little noise when withdrawn from the sheath, another well thought out feature and perhaps the reason the sheath material was shosen over kydex or concealex. The sheath has more "give" to it than either of the other materials normally used but at the same time remains rigid.

The blade length seems about right for me if I am in need of a survival knife, defensive blade [ nice to have two edges to destroy and can be used twice as long in service before needing to hit the stones in a worst case sceanrio ].

I didn't get the impression it was too short or too long for it's intended roles. The balance of the knife in my hand felt good during the drills and did not appear to be blade or handle heavy which affects these types of movement in the hand.

I really like the handle material used. Grippy but not sticky, easily moved with the fingertips. Of course I have not soaked the knife and did not wet the hands to determine if the grip retains it's feel and such under these conditions but you get the sense unless you greased you hand or the handle the knife is not going anywhere [ leave your hand ]anytime soon until you want to release it. I have a feeling the handle will also be conducive to not creating hand fatigue with prolonged use. It is very comfortable [ did I already mention that? ].

There you have it. My initial impression?
Well designed and thought out like the MPC. Rugged to the extreme but understated visually.

Stay safe

Brownie

You've just made my wait a bit harder.......

Tracking says that mine should be here tomorrow.

:)

Allen
aka DumboRAT

How much better can it get?

Another great review from Brownie.
I really value subjective descriptions of feel, especially the way Brownie does it.
Any knife with this quality of steel can cut, but how does it work in the hand?
That matters.

I would like to know more about the grip material.

Strange, I don't envy Brownie and DumboRAT.
Rather, it makes me feel good to know that somebody who will really appreciate what they have has the opportunity to own a knife like this.
Enjoy, guys. :)

Question for Brownie or Frank, is the Col Moschin Hollow or flat ground?

Brownie what do you think of the cutting performance?

Allen, I'm going to have to make that trip up to Cleveland sometime just to see your knife collection.

Everytime I see your name your either buying a new knife, or talking about one that's coming.

You suck!!

LOL, Jim

I haven't cut anything with it, yet.

Just got it last night and wanted everyone to get a sense of my initial impressions from handling this blade and it's overall characteristics. It's hollow ground and I would expect it to be a good cutter.

Appreciate the compliments relative the comments and observations I have of this one Ken.

Brownie

jimjen and Ken,

jimjen --

Anytime, buddy. :) But I warn you, it's a very modest collection only; don't want you to be disappointed.......

Ken --

LOL, I can only hope to live up to your mind's-eye view of me - brownie, yes, but me? I can only hope to do the blade justice.

Allen

Got her just about an hour ago.

After which, I sat down again with brownie's review above -- suffice it to say that I don't have much to add, and agree with all of what my predecessor (my blade is #101) has so eloquently put forward.

Being a "geardo" (military gear enthusiast/freak), I do have a few more observations on the sheath, and hope that this will further help those of you in LE or Mil occupations decide in favor of (or against) this fine blade.

First is that the drop-leg extender on the sheath is adjustable for length as well as is modular. Its removal allows this knife to be worn higher on the waist.

The thumb-break is reversible for opening direction to suit your preference.

Although there are no empty holes drilled into the polymer sheath (it does, however, have a huge drain hole at the bottom), its integral heavy-duty plastic D-ring loops (used primarily for the thigh rig straps but also includes one at the top - for the drop-thigh extender - and another at the bottom ) can be used to cinch the sheath down to any load-bearing gear or tactical vest/panel carrier with Paracord or Zip-Ties. Actually, if you own "modular" load-bearing vests or other such gear, as long as your loops are wide enough to accomodate securing devices of 1.5 inches in width, you can actually completely secure the sheath, sans the drop-leg extender, onto your modular LBV/carrier/etc. directly and securely via the main "spine" loop, which is completely covered in heavy-duty Velcro.

If worn inverted (i.e. on the weak-side shoulder in "Cool-Guy" style), I would highly recommend engaging at least one of the two button-snaps on the thumb-break retention device due to the weight of the blade.

This rig is also fairly flat -- you can easily and comfortably wear the knife in the drop-thigh configuration on your first-line gear, anchored by a rigger's belt, and then strap on a drop-thigh magazine pouch "sub-load" overtop. It is flat enough that, IMHO, unless you wear a highly contoured polymer-plastic thigh-panel rig such as the Safariland 6004, you should easily be able to even put the knife "under" your holster, if desired. I can easily do this with my HSGI Saddle Holster over-riding the knife.

Unlike brownie, I unfortunately do not have the proper qualifications to assess this kinfe's potential as a defensive tool -- but from my layman's point of view as a collector and occasional outdoorsman, its configuration, blade profile, size, balance, and ergonomics all point to it being specifically conceived as an instrument of mortal combat. In properly trained hands (i.e. not mine!), I have no doubt that this knife is a deadly instrument of war.

As a "survival" knife, although I can see it being pressed into this service, I feel that its double-edged format along with overall blade profile and thickness makes this a secondary role; I would rather leave that job to, say, my Strider BT/SS should my anticipated needs include absolute tip strength, or a more "bellied" blade if that's the perceived need.

A scientist by traing, it was drilled into me early on that one must have the right tool for the right job.

Honestly, if you're a LEO or a serviceman, I can easily see why this was the chosen knife of Italy's elite protectors.

Oh, and if you're a collector? This is one knife that you'll kick yourself for passing up.

Allen
aka DumboRAT

Allen,
great observations and more details on this knife.

I knew you would post while I was in transit tonight and went stright here to see you posting on it.

Good heads up.

Congrats

Brownie

Just picking up where you left off, that's all.

I really couldn't find any more to say about ergonomics or handling as you've covered it so well; and honestly, with what little experience I have, my own findings -- as well as preferences -- match yours almost to a T.

And as for actual use, well, buddy, I've definitely got to bow-out on that one, I know my limitations as a Mall Ninja, LOL, whereas you've got the walk to go with the talk.

Hoping to one day meet my sister blade and her user, in good health and under even better circumstances,

Allen
aka DumboRAT

Allen,

You should plan to attend Mike Janichs MBC course this next year in your area.

I'm driving out to meet Mike Sastre again and attend MJ's seminar.

His course is a must and it will be close to you.

It would be a good venue to meet up and do some training.

Brownie

Nice reviews -- I think my Harpoon needs a new friend!

Burchtree:

Is your harpoon sawtoothed on the spine or plain?

I like the blade design and stated length of that knife alot.

Do you find it blade heavy? How's the handle material, like the Col Moschin?

Thanks

Brownie

I didn't get the sawtooth. The blade isn't too heavy, but I've done some chopping with it too. It's a very versatile blade. I have two handles and sheaths for my blade. The original is very "grippy" and the insert actually sticks to a a velcro tab that is stitched onto the nylon belt loop.

I also have the same handle that you have on your knife -- that's one of the best things about the ER fixed blades (besides the obvious stuff), the choice of handles and sheaths. I plan on getting a desert set, and when I get a Fulcrum or Col Moschin I'll be able to interchange the handles. :D

Here's a link to thread that has a pic of my harpoon with the "step down" handle:

http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=270364

Burchtree :

Yes, that is dressed for success. Very nice visually with the green handles. Nice score.

Thanks for the link/pic and response.

Brownie

Just to remind everyone what a Double-Edged Col Moschin looks like (except for Brownie and DumboRAT):

Col-MoschinDE.jpg

brownie,

I will definitely look into that -- any web-based links for registration and other contacts?

Thanks !

Allen
aka DumboRAT

Allen,

To my knowledge a firm date has not been established but I have the inside if and when it is announced and will keep everyone up to speed as we progress into spring.

Stay sharp

Brownie

Thanks brownie.

I'll keep an ear to the ground, bang me over the head if I somehow miss the thread/post, K ?

Thanks again,

Allen
aka DumboRAT

Back