Cold Steel AD 10

Since this is my first Cold Steel product, I was wondering how their knives really hold up to hard use, as in things around the ranch? This thing feels great and sturdy, just curious about overall quality as compared to other similar knives...
It should hold up fine . I normally don’t watch these kind of knife abuse videos mainly because it’s not fair to the knife to not be used as it was intended. Anyway here you go

I never really cared for cold steel knives until the 4max came along. I bought that one a year and a half ago. When these two came out, I grabbed both. Of the three the 4max is my favorite but least carried, for similar reasons listed above by humb baby. I do find it the most comfortable in hand though, and not at all a burden in the pocket.

The AD10 is a simply fantastic EDC knife for me. Comfortable, good cutter, strong lock, not particularly flashy. Fantastic.

The 15 is a great innovation, and pretty cool looking, and great fun to play with, but the g10 texture is terrible and it's not quite as easy to open in a hurry. It gets carried, but not as much.

All three are great, and they have convinced me to try other CS knives in the future.

Last edited:
Since this is my first Cold Steel product, I was wondering how their knives really hold up to hard use, as in things around the ranch? This thing feels great and sturdy, just curious about overall quality as compared to other similar knives...
They hold up great, in my experience. The only thing I like to do is replace the Teflon washers with phosphor bronze, as Teflon can rip over time if you run the pivot too tight or get dirt in the action. For the AD-10, which comes with a set of PB and a set of Teflon washers, I replaced the two pairs of washers with a single pair of .25"ID x .5" OD x .015" thick PB washers. I expect a lifetime of smooth sailing after this.

Looks like the dealer were I got my AD10 at a bargain price is out of stock . Glad I snagged one and didn’t hesitate again :thumbsup:

I had the UH too. The AD-10 is so much more comfortable in hand, and I prefer the blade on the 10. I ended up selling my UH once I got the 10.

interesting. I think the UH has great ergonomics (very comfortable in hand). The weight of the AD10 still makes me hesitant given the strength of the UH. For me the UH blade is great. The grind is one of the best I have on a work knife. Maybe I ll get to see the AD10 in hand before I would order one.

Got mine today. Very nice.
I don’t usually EDC a folder this size but I can see it being a great outdoor blade among other things. Those who do like EDCing a larger knife should like this one.
I don’t abuse folders so I’m not concerned with it’s “hard use” ability, but for those who do, it should hold up fairly well.
Fit and finish is the best I’ve seen from CS.
Other popular companies should learn how to sharpen knives this well. Not unusual for CS.
The balance is outstanding. Doesn’t feel like 6.85 ozs, which is what mine weighs. Feels, dare I say, “light” in hand when open.
Handle is almost too small for my 2X hands. No fault of the knife.
It won’t be a regular EDC for me but color me impressed.
t1Rs2YR.jpg

Last edited:
I’ve been carrying around my Hinderer 24 hoping it’ll make my AD 10 not feel as big when it arrives lol .
Seriously though I like bigger knives anyway and I’m not a ounce counter either :D
It won’t be a problem.

Pretty weak test, tbh. I'm positive i could give it more crap and the knife would hold up just fine. This test is what I'd expect for a linerlock spyderco military or something. It's not nothing, but it's not something, either.

Pretty weak test, tbh. I'm positive i could give it more crap and the knife would hold up just fine. This test is what I'd expect for a linerlock spyderco military or something. It's not nothing, but it's not something, either.
Yea looked like he was limp wristing it . But still took a little abuse . I look at it like no normal use as it was designed to be used for wouldn’t be that extreme anyway . If your going to beat on any blade you’d be better served to get a fixed blade . Most of these Cold Steel blades are over built no doubt and should give you many years of normal use .

Got mine today. Very nice.
I don’t usually EDC a folder this size but I can see it being a great outdoor blade among other things. Those who do like EDCing a larger knife should like this one.
I don’t abuse folders so I’m not concerned with it’s “hard use” ability, but for those who do, it should hold up fairly well.
Fit and finish is the best I’ve seen from CS.
Other popular companies should learn how to sharpen knives this well. Not unusual for CS.
The balance is outstanding. Doesn’t feel like 6.85 ozs, which is what mine weighs. Feels, dare I say, “light” in hand when open.
Handle is almost too small for my 2X hands. No fault of the knife.
It won’t be a regular EDC for me but color me impressed.
t1Rs2YR.jpg
That’s good to hear !
Glad your happy with it and like you said being as heavy as it is says a lot that it feels lighter in hand when opened . Definitely means it’s a well balanced and designed knife .

I'll put it this way: even people who hate Cold Steels usually acknowledge that they are fantastic work knives because you can beat on them, and the knife will take it. Most of the complaints around Cold Steel usually center around:

- The antics of the owner
- MEATBOOTS!
- Ergos for some folks
- Materials aren't mokuti/steels higher-end than S35vn/XHP/etc.
- Not made here (US)

I've never seen anyone say that the quality was bad. In fact, for the money, and if you just need a knife to beat on, they are hard to beat for the money.

I'll put it this way: even people who hate Cold Steels usually acknowledge that they are fantastic work knives because you can beat on them, and the knife will take it. Most of the complaints around Cold Steel usually center around:

- The antics of the owner
- MEATBOOTS!
- Ergos for some folks
- Materials aren't mokuti/steels higher-end than S35vn/XHP/etc.
- Not made here (US)

I've never seen anyone say that the quality was bad. In fact, for the money, and if you just need a knife to beat on, they are hard to beat for the money.
Johnny and the meat jacket is what sells me....:D:p

I'm not real sure exactly what constitutes "hard use". I can tell you that I have carrying the American Lawman for several years now and it is as tight as the day I received it. I am working contractor(as opposed to the guy that rides around the truck and drinks coffee!) and it my spends time not only in my pocket when on the job, but also in my tool bags when it is in rotation. So does my orange handled UH (really like the orange!) UH. I use them both for everything from demolition and other daily chores to trimming moldings the end of the job.

All of my knives are work knives and when it is their turn to go to the job that is exactly what happens to them. Both of those knives easily keep up with and in certain cases outperform my big Kershaw knives and my favorite ZT, the 0909. Overall, I would say that Cold Steel is the best value of group for my use in general construction.

Robert

Last edited:
The AD10 and AD15 seem... unnecessary. The price already seemed high for the brand and the materials, and now the price has gone up another 30-40 bucks.

They’re cool knives with great designs, but they’re missing that balance of price:materials:utility:uniqueness that make a knife desirable to me. I’m obviously in the minority here since they’re sold out nearly universally, but, I don’t see either doing anything my Recon 1 can’t, and that cost me $90 - roughly half of the current retail price for an AD10.

Well, okay, admittedly, the AD10 does have a striking pommel, but I really don’t crush many skulls in my day-to-day life.

The AD10 and AD15 seem... unnecessary. The price already seemed high for the brand and the materials, and now the price has gone up another 30-40 bucks.

They’re cool knives with great designs, but they’re missing that balance of price:materials:utility:uniqueness that make a knife desirable to me. I’m obviously in the minority here since they’re sold out nearly universally, but, I don’t see either doing anything my Recon 1 can’t, and that cost me $90 - roughly half of the current retail price for an AD10.

Well, okay, admittedly, the AD10 does have a striking pommel, but I really don’t crush many skulls in my day-to-day life.
The Ad10 and 15 is unnecessary for you or for everyone lol . I think at 140 it was a great deal and “ necessary “ for me :D
Is it worth the up to 170ush price now . Don’t know until I get it in my hands but as I mentioned in a earlier post the competition gets much more competitive at that price bracket. I had a code 4 for my one and only Cold steel and it was nice but didn’t care for the stiff back lock since I like to fiddle with my knives . Action wasn’t the best either on the one I had anyway . Will see how this as ad 10 stacks up when it’s in my paws. From all the vids and reviews payed sponsers and not it looked pretty good all around :thumbsup:

They're well built with good steel and a good heat treat, 3d contoured handles, better than normal CS fit and finish, great action and lockup, and they seem to be as durable as they look. They're just nicer than any other CS folder I've owned, including several Recon 1s. What do you think a more appropriate price would be for these knives? It's not just function that drives the price here.

Back