Cold Steel and California law

To my understanding, California state law PC626 and similar will indicate that it is illegal to carry a fixed blade in any configuration that would conceal it But there's no length limit at the state level, on concealed folding knives. (City laws vary from city to city).
I just realized that as a California company, making large affordable folding knives fits perfectly with California law for concealed carry self defense. And with that, I appreciate Cold Steel even more. (Note, I'm new to CS in general, so I'm still trying to figure out how well GSM is handling the company).

tl;dr I finally realized some of the goals of C.S. and I appreciate the company's history so much more.

I think you cited the wrong code. Here is California penal code 626- https://www.leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/faces/codes_displaySection.xhtml?sectionNum=626.&lawCode=PEN

As far as California state law though, you are correct that it is illegal to carry any fixed-blade concealed. It's also illegal to carry an open folding knife concealed if the blade is in the open and locked position. But it is legal under state law to carry any fixed-blade openly, or to carry any folding knife concealed, as long as it is carried closed, and isn't a switchblade or butterfly knife.

I've lived in California for 54 years, and I've been carrying a Ti-Lite 6 for the past several years. Usually concealed, sometimes partially visible.

Here is the statute regarding the carrying of a concealed fixed-blade in California- https://www.leginfo.legislature.ca....aySection.xhtml?sectionNum=21310.&lawCode=PEN

I think you cited the wrong code. Here is California penal code 626- https://www.leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/faces/codes_displaySection.xhtml?sectionNum=626.&lawCode=PEN

As far as California state law though, you are correct that it is illegal to carry any fixed-blade concealed. It's also illegal to carry an open folding knife concealed if the blade is in the open and locked position. But it is legal under state law to carry any fixed-blade openly, or to carry any folding knife concealed, as long as it is carried closed, and isn't a switchblade or butterfly knife.

I've lived in California for 54 years, and I've been carrying a Ti-Lite 6 for the past several years. Usually concealed, sometimes partially visible.

Here is the statute regarding the carrying of a concealed fixed-blade in California- https://www.leginfo.legislature.ca....aySection.xhtml?sectionNum=21310.&lawCode=PEN
Much obliged!

I had the exact same thought, plus with the thumb plate pocket opener, a knife like the large Espada is pretty much equivalent to a medium sized concealed fixed blade that you can legally carry.

To my understanding, California state law PC626 and similar will indicate that it is illegal to carry a fixed blade in any configuration that would conceal it But there's no length limit at the state level, on concealed folding knives. (City laws vary from city to city).
I just realized that as a California company, making large affordable folding knives fits perfectly with California law for concealed carry self defense. And with that, I appreciate Cold Steel even more. (Note, I'm new to CS in general, so I'm still trying to figure out how well GSM is handling the company).

tl;dr I finally realized some of the goals of C.S. and I appreciate the company's history so much more.
cold steel is no longer a cali company. it's owned by gsm whos based in Texas now.....

cold steel is no longer a cali company. it's owned by gsm whos based in Texas now.....
That's a fair. They did get bought in 2020, but before then, they were a Ventura, CA company, and they did put out some pretty big folders.

I'm not certain but I think that he was trying to cite the old California 653k penal code regarding switch blades. Regardless of the current laws I never carry any valuable or irreplaceable knives as many officers either don't know the laws or disregard them entirely and will seize or steal your steel just because they can. I had an original Japanese San Mai Black Talon and 6" Ti Lite taken by local law enforcement and when I asked for a receipt I was placed under arrest. I foolishly thought that I would be vindicated in court but they were just as crooked as the cops! I currently carry either a Voyager XL Vaqueuro or Tanto and a Buck 110 that's so stiff those cops will never get it to open with a wrist flick.

I'm not certain but I think that he was trying to cite the old California 653k penal code regarding switch blades. Regardless of the current laws I never carry any valuable or irreplaceable knives as many officers either don't know the laws or disregard them entirely and will seize or steal your steel just because they can. I had an original Japanese San Mai Black Talon and 6" Ti Lite taken by local law enforcement and when I asked for a receipt I was placed under arrest. I foolishly thought that I would be vindicated in court but they were just as crooked as the cops! I currently carry either a Voyager XL Vaqueuro or Tanto and a Buck 110 that's so stiff those cops will never get it to open with a wrist flick.
Thanks for sharing that cautionary tale.

I've only had good experiences with the local police here in San Diego when it comes to knives.

The last experience, just to recount one of many- A pair of cops in an SUV pulled me over on my bike, the senior cop said he stopped me because my license plate wasn't mounted properly. I was openly carrying a fixed-blade on my hip (knife pictured below), he told me that he was going to take it for their own safety just for the duration of the stop. He pulled it from the sheath, and placed in on a patch of grass a few yards away.

He asked me why I carried it, I said "To cut things". I said "To my knowledge it's legal to carry as long as it's visible ", he said that was correct (I said that just to let him know that I knew the law). He asked if I had any other weapons on me, I said "No. But I have a few folding knives in my jacket", but he had no interest in those. He didn't ask if he could search me or my bike, nor did he compel a search.

He took my drivers license, checked me out on the computer in his car. I was clean. So he said he was letting me go with a warning and instructed me to remount my license plate. I agreed. He instructed me to wait until they were back in their vehicle before I retrieved my knife, which I did.

He was a complete professional throughout the experience. Polite, no attitude, no snide comments or insinuations about the knife or why I was carrying it. And I was polite to him. I know better than to give cops attitude, not that I ever would.

I would also add that I'm a biker. So the fact that he didn't give me a hard time about being a biker carrying a fixed-blade on my hip, and let me go with no citations, shows just how chill he was, and how unconcerned he was about me carrying a knife. I suspected that he was just using me as a training stop for the second cop, as the second cop looked like he was fresh out of high school.

I don't worry about the cops. I know the knife laws of my state/county/city, I know my rights. And I've been arrested before, been to jail, been through the courts, been to prison, so I know how the system works. As long as I know I'm legal, and I am, I don't worry about the possibility of an unlawful arrest.

However, I do agree with not carrying anything expensive or a prized possession, why tempt fate. There is always the possibility or running across a bad cop.

0oIHwvO.jpg

Last edited:
I've only had good experiences with the local police here in San Diego when it comes to knives.

The last experience, just to recount one of many- A pair of cops in an SUV pulled me over on my bike, the senior cop said he stopped me because my license plate wasn't mounted properly. I was openly carrying a fixed-blade on my hip (knife pictured below), he told me that he was going to take it for their own safety just for the duration of the stop. He pulled it from the sheath, and placed in on a patch of grass a few yards away.

He asked me why I carried it, I said "To cut things". I said "To my knowledge it's legal to carry as long as it's visible ", he said that was correct (I said that just to let him know that I knew the law). He asked if I had any other weapons on me, I said "No. But I have a few folding knives in my jacket", but he had no interest in those. He didn't ask if he could search me or my bike, nor did he compel a search.

He took my drivers license, checked me out on the computer in his car. I was clean. So he said he was letting me go with a warning and instructed me to remount my license plate. I agreed. He instructed me to wait until they were back in their vehicle before I retrieved my knife, which I did.

He was a complete professional throughout the experience. Polite, no attitude, no snide comments or insinuations about the knife or why I was carrying it. And I was polite to him. I know better than to give cops attitude, not that I ever would.

I would also add that I'm a biker. So the fact that he didn't give me a hard time about being a biker carrying a fixed-blade on my hip, and let me go with no citations, shows just how chill he was, and how unconcerned he was about me carrying a knife. I suspected that he was just using me as a training stop for the second cop, as the second cop looked like he was fresh out of high school.

I don't worry about the cops. I know the knife laws of my state/county/city, I know my rights. And I've been arrested before, been to jail, been through the courts, been to prison, so I know how the system works. As long as I know I'm legal, and I am, I don't worry about the possibility of an unlawful arrest.

However, I do agree with not carrying anything expensive or a prized possession, why tempt fate. There is always the possibility or running across a bad cop.

0oIHwvO.jpg
I too have no fear of the police. I was at one time in my life trying to become a police officer. Went on ride alongs with various agencies, attended community college taking administration of justice courses, graduated with honors, was well liked by instructors and fellow students. Even had two academy dates, that's how close I was to entering a career in law enforcement. I know and knew all of the relevant laws regarding the legal and illegal carrying of weapons in the state. Like you I'm a life long resident of California, never wanted to live anywhere else.

Been through the courts, never incarcerated other than at the time of arrest. The system is not honest, officers embellish or flat out lie in their reports and testimony. Judges and prosecutors know what's going on and never raise questions regarding these misrepresentations. I have very little faith in the justice system borne of personal experiences.

As used in this part, “switchblade knife” means a knife having the appearance of a pocketknife and includes a spring-blade knife, snap-blade knife, gravity knife, or any other similar type knife, the blade or blades of which are two or more inches in length and which can be released automatically by a flick of a button, pressure on the handle, flip of the wrist or other mechanical device, or is released by the weight of the blade or by any type of mechanism whatsoever. “Switchblade knife” does not include a knife that opens with one hand utilizing thumb pressure applied solely to the blade of the knife or a thumb stud attached to the blade, provided that the knife has a detent or other mechanism that provides resistance that must be overcome in opening the blade, or that biases the blade back toward its closed position.

Looks pretty clear to me but for some reason police and the courts thought that it was a grey area. I assume that they were able to read, write and speak English as well as I.

Fīat iūstitia ruat cælum is a Latin legal phrase, meaning "Let justice be done though the heavens fall." The maxim signifies the belief that justice must be realized regardless of consequences.

Last edited:
you left alot out of this story and made it sound like you were stopped and arrestee because cops wanted to steal your knife. what were you doing when you got stopped, and whats the charges for the arrest? police can not stop you without reasonable suspicion and can not arrest you without probable cause, and certainly not for legally carrying a knife. when arrested all your personal items are booked and will be released to you when you ger released, unless you used the knife in ways which amounts to a crime, then it will be seized as evidence

you left alot out of this story and made it sound like you were stopped and arrestee because cops wanted to steal your knife. what were you doing when you got stopped, and whats the charges for the arrest? police can not stop you without reasonable suspicion and can not arrest you without probable cause, and certainly not for legally carrying a knife. when arrested all your personal items are booked and will be released to you when you ger released, unless you used the knife in ways which amounts to a crime, then it will be seized as evidence
I was doing nothing more than walking down the street.There's so many elements or parts to the story that I'm not sure where to begin but I'll try. One week before what I will refer to as "the incident" there was an attempted rape at a train station. The victim was knocked to the ground and had her shirt torn open. She scratched the suspect's face with her nails and was slugged in the face and had her purse stolen. The suspect was never caught.

The Woman With No Name rides the same train to work and I didn't want her down at the station alone. So I walked with her and waited until she boarded the train. It was on my walk back home, which is only a few blocks away, when the police were driving down the street and saw me walking and decided to stop and check me out. They did so in the most dramatic fashion. Made a full turn pulling their vehicle in front of me, opening the doors to their cruiser and drawing their weapons on me while using the doors as a shield. With guns pointed at me they asked if I was on probation or parole and I answered no. I was told to turn around and put my hands on my head, so I did.

One of the officers grabbed my hands then using his other hand began to pat me down. He told me to open my legs, I did, and he said wider. Next thing I know he is groping my genitals. A quick pat would have let him know that I had no weapons in my underwear. But he was up to something and what I think it was is this, I sincerely believe that he wanted me to flinch or twist away so that they could beat me down or charge me with resisting arrest.

During the search the officer, who I will refer to as Butterfinger, discovered one of my two knives. He told me to turn around then asked if I had anything else on me and I replied yes and told him where it was. He removed that knife and he and his partner began flicking or snapping them open calling them switchblades. As per California 653k they were not switchblades because they had the bias towards closure which made them perfectly legal to carry and possess.

Did I mention that back up had arrived? Two additional cars, two officers per car, for a total of six uniformed officers, all for little old me just walking down the street while minding my own business!!!!!!

I guess this is where I should give some context as to why I think there was such a heavy response. The previous month there had been a drive-by shooting just a few blocks from where I was stopped. Six individuals were shot, three died on scene. That's why there were two officers per car. The streets were hot and they were stopping anybody they felt might be a threat. I must have looked out of place to them. I had a bandana on my head, not for any gang affiliation, but because I have psoriasis on my scalp. So they drew their own conclusions.

I was told to sit on the curb for 45 minutes while they ran my name through dispatch and asked the usual questions. After everything was said and done they were walking back to their cruiser with my knives and I asked for a receipt, which they are supposed to give when taking any property. I was placed under arrest at that time. Actually cited and released, never placed in hand cuffs or placed in the back of the cruiser. You see they wanted the knives off the record, by asking for a receipt they would have to document taking them! I had to be taught a lesson, and the lesson is this, when the cops want to take something you just shut up and let them do it.

I had to hire an attorney $3000. Stolen knives $500. Additional arrest in my jacket, priceless. I ended up taking a plea deal for a 415 disturbing the peace, 2 years court probation, and the sense that there's no justice.

So now you know. And if you're naive enough to think that there are no dirty cops then there's nothing that I can say or do to convince you otherwise. Have a nice day.

The Woman With No Name rides the same train to work and I didn't want her down at the station alone. So I walked with her and waited until she boarded the train.
Stalking a known rape victim who didn't know you? Wow.
I had a bandana on my head, not for any gang affiliation, but ....
Look like a criminal, get treated like a criminal. A hat would have been a more normal item to wear.
Additional arrest in my jacket, priceless.
If you frequently get arrested, perhaps you might learn how to minimize the frequency of getting arrested.

Stalking a known rape victim who didn't know you? Wow.

Look like a criminal, get treated like a criminal. A hat would have been a more normal item to wear.

If you frequently get arrested, perhaps you might learn how to minimize the frequency of getting arrested.
I escorted my woman to prevent her from becoming a potential victim. And wearing a bandana is not a crime. I chose my life and don't snivel about it.

Back