Cold Steel Black Bear Classic

I like the design of this knife and am considering purchasing one soon. I'd appreciate any feedback both positive and negative. Also, does it have a full tang? I noticed on a much earlier post that a member noticed that it had a stick tang with a full tang welded on. Are they still made this way? If so, are they just as durable/reliable as a true full tang blade? Thanks in advance for any replies.

I was pretty sure the BBC was a full tang design. Seems like it would be sorta hard to get the first micarta over the subhilt, otherwise. The photo shows a pin at the very end of the handle. I'm gonna say "Full Tang Construction."

Wait a moment, it has to be full tang. Why on earth would you need that many pins in a handle that was a stick tang? Surely it is full tang.

Thanks for the reply Knifeclerk. The reason I asked about the tang is because a couple of years ago, there was a thread in which someone put some stag handles on a BBC. He commented that although the knife had a full tang, it consisted of a stick tang welded to the rest of the tang. I suppose if the weld is good enough, it would be just about as strong as a true full tang. Anyway, how do you like the BBC? Do you recommend it? Any other BBC owners with any feedback on the knife's performance? Thanks in advance for any replies.

FWIW, I'm just looking at the pictures. I can't recall if I've ever held the BBC. Are you sure you aren't thinking about the kraton version with Carbon V? What's that one called? The OSS?

The BBC feels okay in hand (light and fast), but it’s rather expensive for a piece of 8A.

I guess the sub hilt is located in what is supposed to be a generally useful position, but it left my medium to small hand in what felt like not quite the right place.

I wouldn’t be surprised if the handle is welded on, because the shape of the handle would mean cutting down quite a big piece of steel if the entire knife was cut out of one piece.

Thanks for the replies djolney and Knifeclerk. Anyone else have any comments or experiences with this knife? Thanks in advance for any replies.

Yes, it's a full tang. It is welded to the blade/ricasso. The guard and hilts are 300 series sst. The blade has a 420 j2 outer layer and vg-1 core. I've seen pictures of a bare one, and while hard to describe, the welding is covers a lot of surface area and
would not fail under any condition I could imagine. Fit, finish, and polish are top notch. It comes shaving sharp with a needle point
bbc3004.jpg

bbc3006.jpg

bbc3008.jpg

bbc3009.jpg

bbc3010.jpg

bbc3014.jpg

Yes, it's a full tang. It is welded to the blade/ricasso. The guard and hilts are 300 series sst. The blade has a 420 j2 outer layer and vg-1 core. I've seen pictures of a bare one, and while hard to describe, the welding is covers a lot of surface area and
would not fail under any condition I could imagine. Fit, finish, and polish are top notch. It comes shaving sharp with a needle point
bbc3004.jpg

bbc3006.jpg

bbc3008.jpg

bbc3009.jpg

bbc3010.jpg

bbc3014.jpg

Hi, what do you think of the tip of the BBC? Is it delicate? I have a Tai Pan and a Peacekeeper, and although both a dagger design, the Tai Pan definitely has a thicker, sturdier tip than the PK, which gets really thin at the tip. I was wondering if the BBC has the same problem? Btw, thanks for the wonderful pics.

Back