1. Welcome to the New & Improved BladeForums. New software info here. Please report problems in Tech Support, and read existing threads before posting! - Spark
  2. I've changed the default forum style to Flat Awesome based on feedback. Don't like it? Click here to change how the forums look Feedback on this is welcome here.

Cold Steel Bushman Destruction Test VIDEO

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by noss4, Dec 20, 2006.

1. noss4

noss4

Jul 7, 2006
    Cold Steel Bushman Destruction test video (links at bottom)

I’ve had a Bushman lying around my shop for a year, using it for
    Various tasks. I decided to see how tough it really is. I think you will be shocked ? I was.

Fist I placed the tip in the vive and did a bend test. I was easily able to get the blade to bend about 20 –25 degrees. I did this 10 times. The knife didn’t break and no tip failure.

I proceeded to hack into a 2x4, cutting through it. Then, I hammered the back of the blade into the wood. No blade failure at this point.

I moved onto the landscaping brick hacking away. The sparks begin to fly.
    I hacked for about 10 minutes in to this brick cutting a V notch. The edge never chipped Just dented. After this I was getting tired and the knife keep going.

I begin to hammer the back of the blade into the brick chipping away sections and splitting the brick. No blade failure, just denting very little actually considering the time evolved. I then hammered the tip in to the brick and the tip bent.

I moved on to an old metal chair. I hammered the tip strait. Then thrust it in to the chair denting the seat. The tip bent. I hammered the tip strait and continued. I moved my attention on to the chair hinge trying to cut through it. Finally there was a thumb size chip in the blade.

I continued pounding in to brick and wood with a 3-pound mallet. Still no major blade failure. I secured the tip back in the vise and bent the blade about 30 plus degrees many times. The blade still refused to break.

Back to more hammering and pounding. I hit the knife every with way top, side, back still the blade would not give.

I finally beat the back of the blade against the vise and the blade broke.

I moved on to the handle placing it in the vise and pounding on it breaking the last 2 inches of blade. No handle failure. I place the handle on a 2x4 and beat it with a 15 pound sledge. It had no affect on it. I was determined to destroy the handle but I was afraid to place it back in the vise and pound it in fear a breaking my vise.

I putt the handle on my 12-ton hydraulic press hoping to crush it. I pumped the hydraulic ram applying extreme force my best guess is about 10 tons. The press was under extreme tension. The handle looked crushed from the end however when I released the pressure it sprung back to shape. Pretty impressive considering I use the press to crush iron pipe with ease using only a small fraction of the force applied to the bushman handle.

I decided that I wasn’t going to be able to destroy the handle without tearing
    up my shop equipment. I called the test finished.

Overall: The cold Steel Bushman is one tough and I mean tough knife.
    It took 54 minutes of brutality to break it. Unreal; considering it only cost me $16.95 new. Check out the tip it is still intact. Awesome!

Note I didn’t perform any cutting test (paper, card board, ect.) as I was testing. I can sill cut cardboard sawing thru it, using the broken tip end section.It is not on video; so don’t take my word for it.

On the Becker Bk9 and K-bar USMC I will performs cutting test throughout the videos.

The video is in 5 10-minute parts. Part 6 is about 4 minutes.

Hope you enjoy the video? This one was tough !

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fnDL7PlEI_Y PART 1
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JBSH8XXFwD4 PART 2
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sId10Ml0JDE PART 3
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OK51RdigNTA PART 4
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=skJEE3-1laA PART 5
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hlUz7FhAU70 PART 6

2. db

db

Oct 3, 1998
    Even better than the other one. Great job.

3. hp2spare

hp2spare

May 26, 2006
    I have used a Bushman as a throwing knife for about two years now. I have snapped a Cold Steel True Flight Thrower in half, gone through a bunch of Hibbon throwers (mainly chewed up, not snapped) and a few cold steel spikes (they sink VERY DEEPLY under grass). At any rate, I've bent the tip of the Bushman a couple of times, and have simply pounded it back straight. I've also had to re-profile the edge one time. All in all, one of my favorites.

4. ehhh

ehhh

Feb 4, 2006
    I wonder how their Carbon V compares to the SK-5, which is quite a bit softer (54RC SK-5 vs 59RC CV). Don't happen to have any of their Carbon V knives to test do you? :D

5. cybrok

cybrok

Aug 7, 2005
    Honnestly, there is a thing they do in Cold Steel vids you should do too: wear some protecting gloves and something to protect your face when abusing knives :(

6. psinide

psinide

Nov 10, 2006
    I was thinking the same thing, noss4 these videos are great, I just want you to stay alive and in one piece so we can all continue to enjoy them. :thumbup:

7. noss4

noss4

Jul 7, 2006
    I don't have any Cold Steel Carbon V knives but I will consider purchasing one
    and testing it.

I'm compiling a list based on the posts and will pick and chose the best candidates for the tests. :D

8. ashtxsniper

ashtxsniper

Oct 28, 2006
    awesome............

9. noss4

noss4

Jul 7, 2006

Who will survive and what will be left of them ?

I'll do my best. Thanks

10. beaterAR

beaterAR

Dec 12, 2006
    may I had to turn away every time he bent the tip in the vice, it was like a chalk board being scrached. AHHHHHH

11. greens

greens

Sep 12, 2003
    SK5 is wayy tougher than CarbonV. Comparable to W-1 which is used for truck springs. I'm not suprised it held up so well.

12. ehhh

ehhh

Feb 4, 2006
    Interesting to know, thanks.

13. symphonyincminor

symphonyincminor Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 5, 2005
    That was brutal! Thanks for taking the time out to do these videos. Loved the folding chair that you casually locked in the vice and proceeded to mutilate.

I don't know if you're a sadist (for beating the everloving shit out of these knives) or a masochist (for enduring almost an hour of chopping, swinging, and stabbing), maybe a mix of both? I flinched when the knife finally gave up the ghost and the upper half of the blade went flying. Looking forward to more of your testing. You definitely don't screw around. Much respect. :)

14. UnixDork

UnixDork

Dec 2, 2001
    Like others have said, please wear some protective gear. These videos are great.

15. UnixDork

UnixDork

Dec 2, 2001
    I just saw the sledge on the handle in part 6. I can't stop laughing.